Author Topic: New Limber  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Pinhead

• Trade Count: (0)
New Limber
« on: March 26, 2009, 05:13:47 PM »
Hello Everyone,    I am building a 1/3 scale limber from scratch and I need some advice. I have some fairly good drawings that I was able to scale and get the basic structure, but I have found nothing detailed as far as the hardware goes. Stuff like types of metal or design of the latch, hinges and tie down straps on the chest. Not trying to go for complete historical accuracy, but all I have found for a latch design is a squiggly line. Should I break down and spring for some real plans?  Do they have all of the details I'm needing.  I would rather forge iron than brass but I know the need for non-ferrous metals around powder.
   I know many of you have been through this already, so any advice you have is welcome.                 Thanks, Michael

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: New Limber
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 05:32:52 PM »
Welcome aboard ;D ! I'm sure you will get much advise .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 06:29:01 PM »
Only one place to look...Antique Ordnance Publishers Plan set 21.

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:56:13 PM »
Hi Michael, the limber plans from Antique Ordnance Publishers are well worth "springing" for & a valuable source to be supported. I was fortunate enough to be involved some time ago with a full size carriage & limber for an original US 12 Pr Bronze Field Howr & found the many pages of details & drawings were complete down to the number & dimensions of every nail & chain link. Try the same with a British carriage & limber, (we did one for an original bronze SB 6pr) & you will really struggle to find more than one single drawing, leaving much to be desired. Adrian.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 12:49:04 AM »
Anyone here built one OR have pictures of it they could post?

Especially pictures of construction processes!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 08:31:37 AM »
Michael, here are a couple photos of an original, and some pics of a reproduction that were posted on the N-SSA forum. Other than the copper lid cover, the hardware was made of forged iron.

http://n-ssa.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9106

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Pinhead

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 04:29:38 PM »
I have taken your advice and decided to do it right. I've got No.21 (limber) and No.12 (No.1 field carriage) on the way.  I've had a good time researching it though and have learned a lot. Now that I'm going to have every detail, right down to the links on a chain, I only have one question: Permission to go overboard, Sir?    Nice photos of the chest there Boom J, thanks.  Thanks to everyone for your input. Now I'm off to take my first shot at dovetailing. Just come on around back to the shop when you get here.          Thanks, Michael

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 06:35:26 PM »
Michael,

When you get the plans and review them, let us know if we were right about them.

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 11:30:54 PM »
"Permission to go overboard, Sir?"

I'd say go for it! Max authenticity is a lot of fun.
Below are some images of the one I was involved with in Oman, destined for an ML artillery museum in one of their restored castles.
You can see in one of the pics the carpenter is doing the dovetails, the upper dovetail is mitred.
Apologies for the last, off topic, image. I found it whilst looking for the limber images & couldn't resist its inclusion.
Adrian

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 02:00:21 AM »
Adrian - GREAT PIX -  ALL of them!

Michael - Permission ?  DO IT !  You've got us hooked now!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 12:36:11 PM »
"Permission to go overboard, Sir?"

I'd say go for it! Max authenticity is a lot of fun.
Below are some images of the one I was involved with in Oman, destined for an ML artillery museum in one of their restored castles.You can see in one of the pics the carpenter is doing the dovetails, the upper dovetail is mitred.
Apologies for the last, off topic, image. I found it whilst looking for the limber images & couldn't resist its inclusion.
Adrian

Hello Adrian,

I tried to contain my curiosity, but as you can see, my efforts were wasted; so please tell me, what were the circumstances that led to you being involved in the production of an American Civil War cannon and limber, that were destined to be displayed in an Oman museum?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 09:03:40 PM »
There is a small British run company there who convinced the Govt to set up a muzzle loading artillery museum as a way of showing off their barrels & occupying one of their restored but empty Castles. This was one of the 30 or so barrels selected to have carriages built for them, each barrel having to be researched for its most historically accurate/appropriate carriage there was only the one choice for this gun. Needless to say it does not fit within their gun towers so discussions are underway for a new building to be constructed for it & a few other horse drawn examples.
The barrel probably came over as scrap metal/ballast years ago & fortunately survived for long enough for its historic value to overcome its metal worth. It had a few balls inside but was not actually loaded, unlike a few of the other barrels. I have fond memories of unloading some of them. I was involved at a distance mainly going over on my holidays for a few weeks here & there to help with the more challenging carriages. Later I went for a full year to project manage a heritage small arms museum going into one of their forts, the pistol cylinder in the trailer was a display component for one of the rooms. Adrian.

Offline Pinhead

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 01:10:57 AM »
More great photos and stories too. Thanks Adrian. That's one big revolver. The museum pieces look like a lot of fun. Are those stuffed display horses?  Bet those would really spook my dogs. This is what's great about this forum. You have all these people coming from all different directions with all sorts of skills and experience to congeal into this giant cyber brain.      I'm hooked too. You find out real quick why there are user names like Boom Lover and In Too Deep. Thanks for all the encouragement (I got to do it now), and I will definitely keep you updated on our progress.         Thanks, Michael

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 09:42:27 AM »
Actually the horses are fibreglass, from a company in the UK. The maker was enthusiastic enough about what we were doing to go down to their local knackers yard & obtained real horse hair for the manes & tails, they normally use imitation hair (nylon). The project called for a mural artist to come out from the UK for several of feature displays of the small arms museum & on one of her trips she took a brush to the horses & gave them "life" by painting the eyes, mouths, hoofs & white bits etc. The harness set came from an American Civil War artillery re-enactment unit who had made it to exacting detail & had used it for about ten years.
Adrian

Offline Pinhead

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 10:31:50 PM »
Well I got the drawings in yesterday. What have I gotten myself into. Very nice documents. It's the real thing, well worth getting. When I look at them I start feeling like I'm standing in one of the old arsenal photos.  I'll turn my head so it'll  be blurry.  Thanks Double D for the reference.  Hi -ho, hi -ho, it's off to work I go.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 11:21:45 PM »
...the pistol cylinder in the trailer was a display component for one of the rooms. Adrian.

I have the smaller version I think. It's a .455 Webley, right?
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline A.Roads

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 11:25:01 AM »
Yes that is correct. We made two at this size - the other cylinder being for the early Enfield revolver.
Adrian