Author Topic: Using a pack frame?  (Read 636 times)

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Using a pack frame?
« on: September 10, 2003, 01:25:34 AM »
:D Hi Y'all
  In gathering info about my upcoming Wyoming deer hunt,I've been told that I might need a pack frame to get my (hopefully) deer out!
Being a typical pa ridge-runner,all we have to do here is usually drag our deer down the ridge then pick it up with the truck.
I will be hunting the powder river breaks west of Gillette which are supposed to be a tough area to drag a deer out.
What do you need to do to use one of these?I've been told to bone out the deer then take it out in pieces.
Should it be quartered then packed out?
How does the game commission feel about that?
Are there any easier ways?
Would it be a good idea to buy one of those deer haulers with the big wheels?I will be with two other friends,but have had to drag a deer up-hill before and dont want to do that unless i call in the army rangers for help. :oops:

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Using a pack frame?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 04:26:34 AM »
:D Hi  pa ridge-runner. I've hunted some around the Gillette area. You might be in a spot where you can drag one out but it's a lot of work.
It's fairly easy to bone out a deer and pack it out. I use a fillet knife for boneing and I take a stone to keep it sharp. I take a plastic rain poncho with me and use it for a trap when I bone out a critter. If the deer is laying on it's side skin the up side. I take gallon or 2 gallon zip lock bags and a pen to write what the cut is on the bag. Bone out legs put meat in bags.Fillet that strip off the backbone.When  you have boned out the top half spread out the skin and flip the carcuss over so the skin protects the meat from dirt. Now skin this side and bone it out. All the meat is in bags and you put it in your pack and carry it out. It takes me 2 to 3 hrs maybe less. Depending on your tag, you need some proof of sex. If you have the head and cape tjats proof. I think you need to leave skin with an udder on it for a doe. Call the warden in that area and listen closely to what he says because he'll probably check you. If you have to make several trips I have a photo copy of my license I leave with meat . Have a cooler ready with some ice or dry ice in it. A 100 quart is plenty big for a deer. I've boned out deer, moose, and elk and its not difficult. Don't forget to bring plenty of water with you.

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Using a pack frame?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 01:04:42 AM »
:-D  Hi Freddogs,
  Thanks very much for the info and how-to! I will do it just as you explained if I am too far to drag.That was one problem I have been pondering for awhile.Your info is greatly appreciated.  Pa ridge-runner :D