Author Topic: 357 maximum reloads crimp or not?  (Read 859 times)

Offline northkid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
  • A Real Regular
357 maximum reloads crimp or not?
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:35:31 AM »
I am new to the TC world, but it has become very addictive. ;
Do you folks crimp your 357 maximum loads? If so do you roll or taper crimp it?

What are some go hunting and plinking loads you folks use?

Thanks
northkid

Offline blhof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 357 maximum reloads crimp or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:54:15 AM »
I roll crimp heavy for use in my revolver, to prevent recoil bullet pull, but for my Contender I use a light roll crimp, since I don't have to worry about recoil pulling the extra rounds.  I shoot mostly cast and as long as there's a crimp groove, roll crimping works best.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 11:30:58 AM »
I have not 100% sorted it out yet. I am crimping all of my loads for my Handi. I have been thinking about trying no crimps with light bullets intended for plinking and varmint control. It shoots them well, but I get vertical stringing (small) rather than a group. I am thinking the crimp may have something to do with it - but maybe not. Only doin' some shootin' is gona find out.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:54:46 AM »
I will say it up front, I don't load for the 357Max.  Having said that, I will aver that there is only two reasons that I am aware of to crimp a case.  The first reason, which has already been stated, is to keep the rounds that are in the magazine from moving their bullets from recoil inertia, and second reason is to initiate consistant ignition.  I think you can decide by the accuracy or lack thereof whether you need to crimp the case mouths.  If it were me, I would crimp them because that is what I do with straight walled pistol/revolver ammo.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 12:49:55 PM »
With the TC being a single shot , recoil is not an issue . That leaves load , some powders like Win 296 and H110 will require a good solid crimp for proper ignition ( as Luckyducker said ) , while most others will do just fime with no crimp at all .

It will depend on the bullet / powder combo YOU choose .  ;) 

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 07:01:32 PM »
I have used 125 grain bullets over 23.0 grains of W296 for a pest/varmint/plinking load. I get around 2300 fps with it and it is not high pressure. I get a lot of soot on the case because it is not high pressure. At 50 yards I get 3 bullet holes like they were stacked on top of each other with a 2.5 power scope.

These were crimped, the next batch I am going to load the same with out crimping to see if it makes any difference. It could make it worse, I just have to try it. I tried to up the powder to see if it would do better, but it did not. I read some where that the light pistol bullets if pushed too hard will deform and not shoot worth a hoot. I think I have confirmed that, but 2300 fps is not too bad for what I intend for them. I have done some work with heavier bullets, but not a lot. here are a couple of more loads shot at 50 yards with the same 2.5X scope

I need to work on it some more - I think I can get it down to 1 - 1.5" at 100 yards with a little more load development or a different bullet. I have some others to try. I now have 180 grain Remington and Hornady 180 Grain SP SS/PB interlocks to try. I want to try some AA1680 and maybe some TAC. I can not remember for sure, but the ones shot with the 200 and 180 grain bullets were with either W296 or Lil'Gun. I do not have my load data available right now to look.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 01:15:04 AM »
For single shot firearms I don't crimp except with Barnes TSX bullets.  This applies to 460 & 500 S&W Magnums, H110/Win. 296, etc.  I've not had problems with ignition and during past experimentation with crimping I never found an instance where I thought crimping contributed any accuracy to a load.

Why do I crimp with Barnes TSX bullets?  Those bullets, when seated can be loose and crimping with a Lee Factory Crimp Die tightens them up.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 01:42:37 AM »
I use the Redding Profile crimp. Course I'm loading for a DW. But it helped accuracy when I compared it to a roll crimp. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline northkid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 05:19:27 AM »
A lot of great information in this thread. Thank you folks for the advise. I am new to the TC world, so there is a lot to learn. Great board, great folks here and been very helpful.

Thanks again!

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 04:17:34 PM »
I load for a 10" 357 Max.  As stated When I use H110 and W296 I always Use a Mild roll crimp. Just enough I feel I have Good Tention on the Bullet.  When I use RL-7 and 2400 I don't Crimp at all.  If you don't have to use a Heavy Crimp you shouldn't. The less you work the brass. The less split necks You will have in the end. ;D
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 04:47:30 AM »
I have a full size silhouette chicken paper target hanging in my reloading room.  Using my DW 357max revolver I put 3 shots into a clover leaf at 50 meters.  This is a 200gr cast bullet doing about 1350fps.  I use a heavy roll crimp in ALL of my 38/357/357max loads.  My FA gets the Redding Profile crimp which also includes a taper crimp before it rolls.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002