Author Topic: Anyone shaved a pistol grip to a straight stock?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Roper1952

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone shaved a pistol grip to a straight stock?
« on: May 29, 2009, 01:21:51 PM »
Has anyone here trimmed a pistol grip stock down to a straight grip stock? I'm thinking of picking up a Pardner and doing just that. There's plenty of used ones on GB. Afterwards I'll try some ebonizing on the stock....

On another note, what's up with the zebra stripe effect on the case colors? My BC Carbine in 45 Colt has "normal" case colors, no stripe effect going on.
"...a backbone is better than a wishbone..." Paul Thorn

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Anyone shaved a pistol grip to a straight stock?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 02:04:25 PM »
MSP has, the link below is from the FAQs and Help sticky topic Reshaping Stocks.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,133637.msg1098506058.html#msg1098506058
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 02:37:21 PM »
And to answer the second question (after eating supper!! ;D), older SB1 frames and original H&R frames were actual color case hardened cast iron, the SB2 BC frame is heat treated investment cast alloy steel with a faux case color treatment, no need for case hardening and certainly not as nice looking as a real color case hardened finish, but many times stronger.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Roper1952

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 02:42:33 PM »
Thanks Tim. I'll see if I can do a photo essay when I do it....

Hope dinner was good... ;D  I just found it odd that the color was so often sort of striped.
"...a backbone is better than a wishbone..." Paul Thorn

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 02:54:50 PM »
Yes, I have done quite a few now and I have also cut the Monte Carlo off to make a straight pistol grip stock. My newest and one of my favorites to date is a Monte Carlo I cut the pistol grip off and lightly reconfigured and accentuated the raised Monte Carlo section. My intent was to make a stock that was similar to a Shutzen style. It works great on one of my .223's....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 01:37:08 AM »
Here's my 20 gauge Pardner that Andy cut into a straight grip for me. This is my favorite gun and gets used the most, I love the way the stock handles now.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 01:15:43 PM »
Thanks DB, these straight grip stocks really are sweet to handle and fast to get on target.....<><....:) Yours
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 05:56:24 PM »
      Any chances of seeing some pics of the reworked stocks,especially the MCs?   Ken

Offline fistmil

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 12:24:10 PM »
I did it to a H&R 410 that I purchased at a pawn shop years ago. The pistol grip of the stock was chipped, so I cut it off and with a wood rasp and sand paper reshaped the stock. I sanded the fore stock and stained it to match the reshaped but stock. It worked out fine.