Author Topic: Anyone hunt Indiana?  (Read 747 times)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Anyone hunt Indiana?
« on: April 06, 2009, 04:16:44 AM »
I have some friends that live in Brown county and they want me to come up to hunt the park there.  They say the deer are big, there are lots of them and it's beautiful country.  I know they want you to use straight sided pistol cartridges in rifles, any cartridge in a handgun or a shotgun. 
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline ELMO

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Anyone hunt Indiana?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 07:06:46 AM »
  I live in north central Indiana, near Kokomo. and I've hunted down in Brown county about 7 or 8 years ago. I hunted during a park reduction hunt and took a good sized Doe. The terrain in brown county is really hilly and they do have the deer. The firearms weapons during firearms seaon are slug guns, pistol cartridge rifles and handguns, also muzzleloaders. The pistol cartridge has to be .357 of an inch or larger diameter with minimum case length of 1.16 inches. The maximum case length of 1.625 inches. Here are some legal cartridges for deer hunting... .357 Mag, 38-40 Win., .41 Mag, .44Mag, .44 Special, 44-40 Win., .45 Colt, 454 Casull, 458 SOCOM, 475 Linebaugh, 480 Ruger, 50 Action Express, and 500 S&W... Come hunt Indiana you will love it.......

Offline rickt300

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 10:55:21 AM »
I drove thru the park 5 years ago and it sure is hilly.  I must have seen 40 deer just driving around, nice country though this was in winter and there was a lot of snow aon the ground.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:09:05 AM »
I'm in northeast Indiana and never hunted brown county, but I might be interested in trying it from what you all have been saying.  You don't have to use a pistol cartridge rifle either, you can still use a shotgun if you want to.  Last season I used my puma 44Mag and I'm a believer!  That 44 mag knocked an 8pt flat on his side and I was amazed.

Offline squirrellluck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 04:03:08 PM »
Unless they changed the rules since I left some rifle cal.s are legal in handguns

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 03:40:59 AM »
Squirrelluck: I believe you are right, and the law still permits.  I grew up in souther IN, just south of Brown County, and still return to hunt annually.  Although our 'base' is farther south--Crawford and Orange Counties.  Deer fall just as flat with a .44 mag; .357 mag; .45 LC; .45-70; along with assorted black powder rifles over the years and slug guns.  My very favorite, though, is still a 62", 60# recurve loaded with 160 gr. Snuffers.   ::)

Rickt300--you will enjoy the topography of the hunt if you decide to make the trip.  I would recommend taking a day or two to see some of the surrounding, if touristy, sites.  Best of luck.

Arch

Offline rickt300

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 04:51:51 AM »
I guess I need to find out about lisence fees and more about the park hunt or surrounding public land hunting.  My friends live in Crawfordsville and are always bragging how big the deer are up there.  They say the does can reach near 200 pounds.

Offline squirrellluck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 04:18:37 PM »
The deer I killed up in Parke county fell to either 55# recurve,7-30 waters in tc contender or .410 marlin lever gun

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 03:04:31 AM »
I took a young buck a few years ago in that area the DNR said at the check station was about a year and a half old--now it didn't come off ground that was hard hunted around Lake Monroe, rather it came off a private farm--but it was a 6 pointer with an inside spread of 17 1/2" and a field dressed weight of 187#.  I didn't think that was too bad for a youngster!  So there are some big bodied deer there, and there are some with pretty good racks.  Best of luck.

Arch