Author Topic: Casting for .44 Mag  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Casting for .44 Mag
« on: March 26, 2009, 02:31:12 AM »
Someone gave be about 25 lbs of lead ignots and I have a tire dealer who will give me 5 gallon buckets of lead when he fills the bucket.  I wanted to cast some .44 mag bullets and possibly 45-70.  I have a Marlin 44 mag and a Ruger SBH 44 mag. 

I gather I need a .430" bullet mold because of the Marlin?

Can I use a cast iron ladle made for casing lead fishing sinkers?

Can I use my Coleman stove to melt the lead in the ladle and pour into the mold? 

What size bullet mold (grains weight bullet) would be good for both the revolver and rifle?

What size bullet mold for the 45-70 as a good all-round load for everthing? 

Can you recommend a good book to get started?

Will the lead have slag to deal with before casting?

What type lube do you recommend?

I know this is a lot of questions, and I probably need to find the sticky to read.  Thanks

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Casting for .44 Mag
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 06:14:21 AM »
yes
yes
yes
180-260 w/240 being a good choice (I'm not sure of what overall bullet length will not feed in the marlin)
350-420  405 and 500 being about the only two I use
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook-inexpensive-readily available-all the information you need
probably, melt, clean make clean ingots then use the clean ingots for casting
White Label Lube-more lube for less money-as good as any and better than most
Yup
 ;D

BF
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline ShadowMover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 06:21:44 AM »
There are all kinds of alloys that are popular, some involve mixing solder, wheel weights (WW), and lead. I reload straight WW in my 44 Mag carbine and SW29. I get some leading, but just consider it part of the cleaning chores.  I cast a Keith 250 grain SWC which I resize to .429 and lube with 50%Alox-50% Beeswax. Many others use their own favorite mixes of lube or make their own. There are probably better choices for the high heat area where I live. You may want to trade the pure lead to other shooters for wheel weights or something else. A 250 grain bullet gets you about 28 bullets per pound of lead, since there are 7000 grains to a pound.

I can't advise on what size mold you need for the Marlin, or what size of re-sizer you'll need.

Yes you can use the cast iron ladle, but you may want the convenience of a smaller ladle that will allow more control. It looks like a little egg with a spout on the bottom. I've done both. After you start picking up all the lead splatter and feeding it back into the pot, you start wondering why you're so sloppy with that big ladle.  Also wear leather gloves and a face shield. Wearing boots with pants over the outside is good too. This is important. A shoe full of hot lead is no joke.

Yes, you can use a Coleman stove, but you will not be able to melt real big batches of lead, or it will take a while.  I've melted lead on a kitchen burner but now I keep food processing tools away from lead processing tools. When you are using your Coleman stove make sure you keep the wind off the burner and pot, or you won't get the heat you need. Wind can steal the heat. An old turkey frying propane heater or a plumber's furnace works well too. I make a tube out of sheet metal , or a big tin can around the pot to keep the wind off the pot. I use an old long handled slotted spoon from the kitchen to skim off the dross, floating steel clips and other trash. Once the lead is liquid I give it a good stir, skim off the junk, and then put a bit of wax on the molten lead and give it a stir. It will smoke a lot so keep a match or lighter handy to light the smoke. Stir the wax in while it's burning or smoking.  Skim off any crud with the slotted spoon. The lead will then be shiny and you can put it into your ingot mold. An old muffin tin works well, but I've used aluminum ashtrays, or the concave bottoms of aluminum soda cans standing upside down. You can even make molds out of angle iron. Don't cast ingots too big, they are hard to get into the pot.  I like to leave some lead in my pot when I'm done casting, as it is easier to get melted next time you want to cast. This 'heel' will melt more quickly, and then you can fed the ingots into it.

Melt all the DRY wheel weights in one batch and cast them into one pound ingots. You want to mix up all the lead so you get a uniform alloy of about the same hardness. Remove any wheel weights that might be zinc. If you can't scratch it with your fingernail, it's probably not lead. If it's floating on the lead alloy, it's not lead. If you get zinc mixed in with your batch, it will ruin them for bullets. You could still make fishing weights from them , I guess.

Be careful with anything wet around molten lead. Introducing a wet chunk of lead into a molten pot of lead will cause the lead to leave the pot, and head right for you. Even a big live bug in a bucket full of wheel weights can cause an eruption.

Mark your ingots when they cool. I put a WW on mine with a felt tip pen or use a small chisel to make a crude \/\/ \/\/. You will forget if you don't.

Well, that's enough for now. Somebody else's turn.  ;)

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 02:05:49 PM »
I have for years, used an old 3 burner Colman stove and at times have two pots going at one time.

This is a white gas stove, and it puts out a lot of heat.

I normaly use WW for casting, and find they work great for almost all handgun loads.

I do water quench the bullets directly from the mold, so that tempers them a bit.

As per leading, that will depend some on the alloy and on the barrel.

I was shooting plain base bullets - about 255gr - from my BH with no problem, while they did lead a bit in the son's BH.

We went to a gas check bullet for his gun and no more problem.

I used a .429 die for years, until I somehow came by a .431 which I have used since.

No problem.

Also shot that size - .431 -  through a Marlin 44 with good results.

That was a Micro grove barrel and it shot good.

I use a rather large pot - old cast iron kettle - for melting and then use a bottom pour ladle which works much better then a side pour.

The large pot is able to keep up with the 4 - 5 molds I normally use at anyone time.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 04:45:59 AM »
I don't use a sizer anymore, shooting "as cast" has eliminated leading for me usually.  The only gas check bullets I use now are for my 30 calibers and I seat them in a small vise (Lyman gas checks).  I have gotten amazing accuracy this way.  I dip lube the bullets by melting the Alox in a old cat food can (well cleaned first) and dip the bullets in it then wiping the bases clean on an old "Womans Day" magazine.  I also use Wheel weights for lead and drop the bullets into a 5 gallon bucket full of water right out of the mold.  If I want a softer bullet I mix Wheel weights 50-50 with pure lead.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 02:09:45 PM »
Not sure if you can find one, but Lyman made a 275gr. mold, that shot out of just about any gun you could load for a .44. Excellent for silhouette, shot great out of 2 different Dan Wessons, and 3 different T/C's. A buddy of mine, who has the mold right now,or I'ld give you the Lyman number, along with his nephew, took 3 boars with that bullet.
gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 03:41:57 PM »
I am also wondering about 44 casting.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 05:15:25 PM »
This is the mold I plan on using.

Cheese

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 11:15:15 PM »
Cheese, If you're gonna hunt with it let me suggest something in the way of a SWC...
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline jimkim

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 01:41:07 AM »
The meplate is important. This will explain it better than I can. http://www.castbullet.com/reload/meplat.htm  According to Michael's site they have two cavity TLC432-265-RF's in stock at Ranch Dog right now. You might also ask Veral what he recommends. I am partial to the Keith bullet myself. Another thing to consider is when your just starting out two cavity moulds are better to learn on than six. Also think about this when casting with a six cavity mould you are casting six different bullets at a time. Jim

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 02:04:55 AM »
i have been using a 2 cavity mold in 240 swc with good results. This mold would be for plinking/target/steel and for higher volume production and for better cycling in a Marlin lever.

Cheese

Offline jimkim

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 02:22:03 AM »
Sorry Cheese, my misunderstanding. I thought you were new too. Have you thought about going with a lighter bullet for plinking. I have two 38 caliber moulds one is for business it's the Lyman 358429 170gr SWC the other is a Lyman 358242 121gr RN. I use the lighter plinker to conserve my alloy. I do the same thing with my thirty caliber moulds. I think the 200gr RF would still feed good. 

Had to edit.. it said 300gr RF.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 09:01:58 AM »
Mee too... for plinking and fun anything is good if your firearm likes it... :-[
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline sixgun_symphony

• Avid Poster
  • Rabid, Avid Shooter
    • http://www.myspace.com/sixgun_symphony
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 03:49:02 PM »

Can you recommend a good book to get started?

SIXGUNS by Keith, it is out of print but your local public library can get it for you. This book is a must read for anyone wanting to cast .44 caliber bullets.
NRA - Endowment Life Member
NMLRA - Life Member
SASS - #62632

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 03:39:30 AM »
I believe Veral's book is still available and can be ordered from him on this forum.  Little different take on the bullet shape from Keith but good info in both books.
H08