Author Topic: Using Pure Lead  (Read 522 times)

Offline verzilli

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
Using Pure Lead
« on: April 20, 2009, 02:15:22 AM »
Guys,

I have about 5 lb of pure (black powder bullet) lead, and another bunch of lead BP bullets.  What would I have to add to the lead to use it to make 44 Mag bullets (not high velocity, just plinking loads...1200fps, Ruger Blackhawk).  I have been casting using a Lee pot, 240 gr mold, etc. but would like to use up all the left over pure lead I have.  Have never created my own alloy.  Thanks

Dave

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: Using Pure Lead
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 02:33:12 AM »
You'd do better trading it off for wheel weight ingots. A lot of BP shooters would love the stuff!
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:57:05 AM »
 1200 fps isn't REALLY a plinking load for a 240 grain .44mag. You'd need an alloy of at least WW consistency(13bhn) for that speed. Maybe even Linotype(21bhn). As I see it, you could either swap it for the WW's/linotype OR slow the velocity down to 900 to 1000 fps and use it as is. I have shot WW alloy to near 2000 fps in some rifle calibers. The same velocity in the 44 and other pistols resulted in severe leading of the barrels. Lighter bullets were used in the revolvers to get the high velocity. Even with oput the leading, accuracy was NOT good. So ,as Tom said swap it for a better alloy.

Offline verzilli

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 07:53:42 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'll weigh and swap.