Author Topic: sheesh!  (Read 547 times)

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
sheesh!
« on: April 20, 2009, 10:48:20 AM »
I just put a 6mm remington on laway for my son (rem 788)
I had decided I wasn't gonna reload for it because I already have WAY TOO MUCH CRAP EVERYWHERE...

so I start looking at factory ammo prices....

now I've got a set of dies, 50 new brass, and 100 bullets  on the way.  $75.

honestly I do not know how anyone can afford factory ammo.

I looked in the Lyman book for a starting load with 80 grain bullets and chuckled out loud.....3200 fps   ;D :o
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
Re: sheesh!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 03:05:14 PM »
You will love the 6MM.  I have had a 788 in 6MM for over 30 years. It is a tack driver. Recently I told my son that he can have all my guns after I am dead and gone, but he had to promise give my grandson one when my son thinks he is old enough.  He said that he would give the grandson his pick except for the 788. Nobody is getting that rifle while he lives, he said with a smile and wink.

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 03:11:38 PM »
I agree. Factory ammo is out of hand, but then again, so are reloading components!  I was happy to have found good deals while travelling a few weeks ago. I love the 6mm. Sorry I let mine go. I liked the performance better than my .243. Good luck with it!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 04:34:57 PM »
I was at the range last weekend , there was a guy and his wife shooting an AR with factory ammo , the cheap Rem stuff @ $8.99 and they just walked away leaving 200 rounds of empty brass on the ground ( FOR ME )  ;D

Must be nice to have money to burn .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 05:14:21 PM »
I'm finding I have friends that don't handload that "all of a sudden" want to know if I can load them a box! I weigh my answer very carefully. Some I am happy to handload for. Sometimes we can arrange an "exchange of services". Sometimes I just flat say "no, too much liability" and leave it at that.
These are trying times....

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 05:50:19 PM »
john,
My oldest son who lives in Alaska has a model 788 6 mm and it was bought in the 80`s
 He has killed lot`s of game here in Colorado and Alaska with this rifle
 Mule deer in Colorado (150 yard shot), Caribou in Alaska( 180 yard shot), my grandson used the same rifle last year and shot a caribou at about 250 yards.This year my son hunted Sitka blacktails on an island just off the coast of Alaska and got two! One at 410 yards( rangefinder measurement) and anothEr one at about 150 yards.
So the 6mm is a great round ,just like any other round shot placement is the key!
I also have two 6mm in the MODEL 700 rem BDL with Leupold scopes.
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 05:20:33 AM »
I'm finding I have friends that don't handload that "all of a sudden" want to know if I can load them a box! I weigh my answer very carefully. Some I am happy to handload for. Sometimes we can arrange an "exchange of services". Sometimes I just flat say "no, too much liability" and leave it at that.
These are trying times....

Regards,
Sweetwater

+1, I have an uncle who is asking me all the time if I can make him some this or that ammo.  He's one of the guys that normally wouldn't shoot 100 rounds through all his guns combined in a year, but now has 500 rounds for every caliber, go figure.  I will load rounds for family & friends, but I make darn sure that they're getting a load safe by every book.  I only do tricky loads for myself in case something doesn't work out right.