Author Topic: A BIG CAN OF WORMS ALL NEED RESPOND IF YOU WANT  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Big Nasty

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
  • Kids that hunt and fish don't steal and deal.
A BIG CAN OF WORMS ALL NEED RESPOND IF YOU WANT
« on: March 08, 2009, 07:52:50 AM »
Ok here it goes I want to learn how to reload I realize it is exspensive at first but when you get your main componets I think it gets a little better. I just hope not to expensive I need money for more Handi's  :D ;D. I don"t have anyone to teach me how to reload I hope reloading isn't something you have to have a teacher on and it can be done by instruction. If I really need and instructor I will figure something out I dont believe I want to learn by trial and error at least not at first that could be a little CRAZY :'(. What would be the best manual for this a book or what  to get me started. I want to mainly start with the famous .308 case as I have a .308, and a .243 and I am looking to get a 7mm 08 eventually for my boys. Will it be a process of less equipment to buy with doing the same case for so many rounds. Yes I realize their is different neck size but thats why I am asking these questions. Oh I do really want to learn the .204 aswell for my ultra varmit. Then possibly a 22-250 well you guys know how it goes. As for my SONG DOGS this morning well they either are at music class this morning or they slept in heck I didn't even see a deer running around anywere. I did see my Turkeys and I am hoping like heck they won't move during spring weather. The kansas turkey spring season open the beginning of April. I am nervous they will go to their summer area before it gets here. Im sure turkeys are the same pretty much everywere but around here they have a winter home and a summer home Well they have been in my deer hunting area all winter I hope they stay put but probably not. 
Kansas members forum here. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,250.0.html

A RULE WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT IS NOT A RULE IT'S JUST A SUGGESTION

<p>[img width= height= alt=martialvsmodern]http://www.myorkutglitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/funy.gif[/img]</p>
<a href="http://www.myorkutglitter.com/myglitters/funny-glitters/" title="View all posts in Funny Glitters" rel="category tag">Funny Glitters[/url]  :  <a href="http://www.myorkutglitter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: A BIC CAN OF WORMS ALL NEED RESPOND IF YOU WANT
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 08:16:53 AM »
I always recommend an beginning reloader get the LYMAN MANUAL, currently its #49.
 Its a good one because they do not make bullets, primers or powder. They have no affiliations to push and there fore offer a range of data for numerous makers components. 
 Then after you get the basics down and you start to load, buy a manual for each bullet manufacture you like to shoot. There's will be the most exhaustive information with that bullet avalible.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline blackhawk45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 08:29:48 AM »
Do like I did, Buy yourself a LEE reloading kit,everything is included,except,dies,bullets,primers,powder,I'm sure you have plenty of once fired cases. Read,and understand the Lee loading manual,It will tell you everything you need to know,Then get yourself another manual,ie , Sierra, Hornady, Speer,etc. and study that manual also. Reloading is a rewarding experience. Nothing feels better than Harvesting a Whitetail,or Mulie with Ammo that you made yourself.and you'll be able to shoot more and more often. Just be sure you follow the load books ,and never deviate from them, and never ,ever exceed MAXIMUM load for any caliber. Start reloading and enjoy ,I know I do !
Hunter, Shooter,Second Amendment Supporter,Handloader.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 08:32:36 AM »
I agree with longshot. "How to" books on reloading will help you tailor you equipment purchases to fit your needs. My very first reloading purchase was a Speer reloading manual. I then bought a Lee Loader in 38 Special and the rest is history! :D

Right now I would suggest you read the sticky at the top of the Handloading for Rifles and Handguns page titled "The Difinative New to Reloading Thread". Lotsa good info.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 08:43:33 AM »
Yep read read read and ask here not many will turn you down for info.  You don't need all the bells and whistles to start, a good press(and there are many) dies, scale,and some simple hand tools will get you started, And as many books as you can scrape up. Doit man, Its fun too. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 09:04:57 AM »
Do not forget the stickies at the top of this section. It is as cheap as it gets and there are lots of good information there. You will still need reloading books, but it is nice to have multiply sources - especially when starting out. I did not have anyone and there was no internet when I started, just the reading in the front of my books and trial and error - lots of errors. Good Luck and Good Shooting

BTW I started with two Lee - load all kits one for the 22 Hornet and then one for the 222 Remington. I decided I liked reloading and got a single stage press, the rest is history.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Luckyducker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
Big Nasty, where are you located in Kansas?  I am in Dodge City and if you are somewhat near here I would be glad to help you get started rolling your own.   Let me know and if at all possible maybe we could get together.

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 09:58:36 AM »
Agree with all above,with the main loaders I have I still use a cheap Lee hand press for some reloading.After you get reloading down pat you can start casting some of your own bullets.
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule

Offline JoeG52

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 10:02:52 AM »
I agree with getting and reading a manual. You can also watch videos free on the Lee web site…
http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html
Sometimes a video just makes what you’re reading a little clearer.
Joe

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 11:14:52 AM »
Forget about saving money. That is an oxymoron. Same as saying handi's are "cheap"
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 12:02:34 PM »
I saw that RCBS has a DVD for sale in the new Cabelas shooting catalog that if I read it right is supposed to be an informative "how To" session.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 02:22:05 PM »
All great advise, and I'm new to reloading myself, and I guess the only thing about it is I got frustrated a few times as I have found that the components, like primers, some bullets, and powders have been a little hard to come by.

Not impossible, but just a little hard to come by, but the sources are out there with a little searching.

Prices have been up some also as the demand has skyrocketed, but again you have to do some looking to find the better deals.

Other than that, it's like they say, in that you get a lot of satisfaction from building a good cartridge that is custom fit to your gun.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 02:26:16 PM »
i agree, use the lee kit. it has all the stuff you need for less $$$.

yes you can buy better equipment but lee exists to be the affordable beginner set, and you can learn a whole lot and get pretty darn good before you outgrow it.

i am still using the lee press with turret, although i choose to use RCBS for dies.

no matter how much you read you cannot replace the experience of watching a good reloader do it in person and trying it yourself.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline geezer56

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (102)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 05:27:37 PM »
Two words.  Public Library.  I went to mine yesterday, and got two books checked out.  One in particular, titled "The Reloaders Bible"  by Don Geary, is very informative.  Lots of detailed photos, and well written descriptons.  I wish I'd had a book like this 35 years ago, when I first started reloading.  Also, ask around at the local range or gun shop.  Most reloaders are more than happy to teach a newcomer more than he wants to know.  I myself have perverted, or rather, introduced several people to the fun of reloading.  Just don't think you'll save a lot of money, you won't.  You will have more fun, another hobby, and the opportunity to tailor loads to your specific rifle.  Plus if you shoot some of the oddballs like I do, ammo is either impossible to find, or so expensive you can't afford to shoot it.

Offline Big Nasty

• Contributor
  • Kids that hunt and fish don't steal and deal.
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 05:34:57 PM »
Thanks guys I believe I will be on the lookout for LEE he sounds pretty popular. Lucky ducker I am in the south east corner aahhh what The heck the big ol town of Neodesha. I like it hear it doesn't smell like a stock yard haha. I am sure many people have heard of it ( ya sure ). but after tonight with a couple hours of shooting factory I have to do something different. I think factory ammo has really gone to pot and more so since winchester has focused on the millitary. Yes they need the best in life or death it needs to go bang when hunting a click may suck but you still get to go home and tell the story. But its just like anything price up quality and quanity down.
Kansas members forum here. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,250.0.html

A RULE WITHOUT ENFORCEMENT IS NOT A RULE IT'S JUST A SUGGESTION

<p>[img width= height= alt=martialvsmodern]http://www.myorkutglitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/funy.gif[/img]</p>
<a href="http://www.myorkutglitter.com/myglitters/funny-glitters/" title="View all posts in Funny Glitters" rel="category tag">Funny Glitters[/url]  :  <a href="http://www.myorkutglitter

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 10:01:23 PM »
BigNasty, I think if you go to the NRA website, they have a video you can get, for free, on reloading. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 01:14:15 AM »
Dittos on the Cabelas program, I did one on steel shot reloading for them. If they are close enough they might just give a 1/2 day class if several folks were interested.

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 04:25:45 AM »
Geez like reading some thing I would have wrote some 30 years ago.
Started loading 308's with a early Lyman reloading book that remains my favorite today, even though it does not contain any information on the 7mm08 or 260 remmy.
Next I started loading the 243 case still useing the Lyman manual. I then got in to a book buying frenzy and have many from alliant to speer.
Luckly some of the new books had information on the 7mm08.
If I would do a wild cat 22 cheata I would be happy with my 308 case family.

Buy the best you can afford, read the warrentys, For example RCBS replaced free decapping pins I broke recently. Lyman on the other hand would not.

;D Al
Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 02:04:27 PM »
+1 for the Lee manual. read thru it twice, then started following the directions. easy as putting a barbeque together
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 03:58:33 PM »
I totally agree about Lee reloading equipment. If I were starting out right now it is the way
to go in my opinion. Read the Lee Modern Reloading book and you will get a lot of great info!
Don't be afraid to ask questions here either. I'm sure anyone here will be happy to answer
any questions that might come up. Don't be intimidated by the reloading process. It's not
rocket science by any means. It is more like safe practices, common sense, and getting
the routine down.

Robert

Offline Yankee1

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 07:12:30 PM »
Hi
  I started with the Speer #9 manual and a RCBS Rockchucker press.  I found more information than I needed in it. Also easy to understand.  I then went on to cast my own bullets and load in many calibers.  I still use that original Rockchucker as well as others.  Oh yes I have Lee products too.  My die sets are RCBS also.  Scale 10 10 and a large Ohaus Dial type but actually the 10 10 will do any thing I require. The setup I have makes extremely accurate rounds.
my powder measure is a Uniflow with two drums. I use a bench model primer seating tool from again RCBS that I threaded the handle on and installed a egg shaped ball on.  For shotgun I bought a progressive press made by Ponsess Warren. Its good if you require a lot of shotshells like for trapshooting.
I really like my Rockchucker.  It suits my requirements/
                                      Yankee1l

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 02:00:45 AM »
good advice all around.
Do like I did, Buy yourself a LEE reloading kit,everything is included,except,dies,bullets,primers,powder,I'm sure you have plenty of once fired cases. Read,and understand the Lee loading manual,It will tell you everything you need to know,Then get yourself another manual,ie , Sierra, Hornady, Speer,etc. and study that manual also. Reloading is a rewarding experience. Nothing feels better than Harvesting a Whitetail,or Mulie with Ammo that you made yourself.and you'll be able to shoot more and more often. Just be sure you follow the load books ,and never deviate from them, and never ,ever exceed MAXIMUM load for any caliber. Start reloading and enjoy ,I know I do !
blue lives matter

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 02:40:25 AM »
Yahoo video returned several results when I searched for reloading cartridges.

This isn't rocket science, I started many years ago at age 14.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Johnny6gun

• Trade Count: (80)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
Re: A BIG CAN OF WORMS ALL NEED RESPOND IF YOU WANT
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 11:57:57 AM »
Hmmm, why was a 6-week-old post (#1) edited today by GB himself?    What was wrong with it???

Offline Alan4620

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 02:29:24 PM »
All the above sounds like good advice.Since you seem to load rifle I suggest you invest in a good single stage press because it allows you to learn each step as you go.
I started with a RCBS partner press (hand me down) from my brother in law.
I also like the trim dies where you trim cases with a file instead of a case trimmer.I never could get those things right. ???

I currently load/cast for 15 different calibers from 9mm to 45/70.
a Dillon 550 does all from 9 to 223,Rock Chucker does the rest.

reloading is like carpentry,measure twice,cut once.

read and be cautious,it is alot of fun and can be relaxing too.

MHO
Alan

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 03:31:41 PM »
Many denigrate the Lee equipment, but FOR THE MONEY, its a very good value.  The start up kits they sell are hard to beat, unless you find used equipment.

I have a Lee and an RCBS turret press, I still use the Lee almost esclusively.  It was purchased by my Dad in the late 1970's.  He finally used a set of Lee dies in 38/357 until they were somewhat worn, and replaced them with Lyman.  He estimated that he had loaded 10,000 or more rounds on the Lee dies.

The most important things you will purchase will be manuals.  They can make you a good loader, and keep you safe.

I've just picked up reloading again after almost 25 years, and I'm enjoying it immensely.

Go for it.  You will do well.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)