Author Topic: Is there a website where I can look up my family’s military history?  (Read 1033 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
I’ve always wanted to learn more about what my Great Grandpa did in WWI and my Grandpa in WWII.  I have ideas of where they were but I was hoping to find a website where I could look up the information of what exact units they were in and exactly where they were sent during their time in the service.

Anyone know of a website like that?

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
ancestry.com has a great many military records, but it is a pay site.  If you have some basic information, you can order their military records.  Do a search engine "request for military records".  There is a sight where you can download and print the forms, along with addresses.  Bear in mind that many WWII records were destroyed in a fire, and have been "reconstructed" as best possible using whatever info is available.

If you know their units, you can use a search engine for  that as well.  Many of the old units have websites where surviving members can correspond.

Also check to see if you have a genealogy research center at your local library or archives.  They usually can help track down the records you seek.

I was able to order the military records for my g-g-grandfather, who was a confederate during the civil war.  I was amazed at the amount of records I rec'd.
Best of luck,

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)