Author Topic: Pardners and hevi-shot?  (Read 503 times)

Offline marano

• Trade Count: (0)
Pardners and hevi-shot?
« on: April 23, 2009, 10:40:22 AM »
Are the Pardners of recent manufacture, since 07 safe to use the hevi-shot duck and goose loads in?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Pardners and hevi-shot?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 11:14:46 AM »
Yes, steel too.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline marano

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 02:20:58 PM »
Thanks, I just got through shooting turkey targets for pattern with the 07 modified 20 guage and the probably 60's something 20 guage Topper that I believe is a full choke. I was surprised that the modified did much, much better than the old gun. I got 16 and 12 pellets with the modified, and 7 and 7 with the old full choke model. I used 3" #6 hevi shot and 3" Remington Magnum turkey loads and the hevi shot did the best. I tried it with 2 3/4 5 shot the other day and got 7 and 9 pellets in the kill zone so I dropped to #6 and went to 3" shells. That hevi-shot is impressive. The recoil was not what I was expecting, but after you shoot a Mosin Nagant carbine, nothing else seems bad.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 03:24:02 PM »
I'm testing Federal Flight Control Heavyweight #6 thru my Pardner 20ga w/modified choke tomorrow, I'll post the results. I've already tested it thru my TDC with Undertaker tube at 35yds-40yds, it's deadly, gonna see how it does in the Pardner just for fun. I also have several Hevi-13 loads and one Remington Hevi-shot load to try.  ;D

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 11:31:43 AM »
I thought I had a couple rounds left, but only had one, so here's the results at 35yds. I have some #7 Heavyweight coming as soon as the backorder gets filled, it would be even better and is probably what I'll use in the TDC, the #7 Heavyweight shot has the same energy at 40yds as #5 lead and will certainly be a lot more dense. I'd want to shoot a few more rounds to check for consistency on an actual turkey load patterning target, but I'd say that anyone who wants to hunt turkeys with what would be considered a marginal turkey gun would be real happy with Flight Control ammo thru their fixed choke gun.  ;) The Hevi-13 loads were as expected, fine for wing shooting(expensive tho), but not what I'd choose for turkeys.

Tim

10" circle

Offline marano

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 04:51:02 AM »
 That looks like a pretty good pattern. I would use that!!!!