Author Topic: Dixie "Hartford" 1849 .31 Pocket Model versus Uberty 1849 .31 Pocket Model  (Read 1733 times)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I'm still looking at getting an 1849 pocket model to plink with.  Dixie lists a "Hartford" 1849 .31 cal. pocket model with a 5 1/2" barrel that is made by "Palmetto".  On their site, there are only 3 reviews of it, one of which is a pretty crappy review.  Dixie price is $275.00.  Cabelas has a 1849 .31 cal. pocket model with a 4 inch barrel made by Uberti that lists for $299.00.  Can anyone offer any suggestions, criticism, reviews on the one carried by Dixie that is a "Palmetto" make versus the one carried by Cabelas that is a "Uberti".  I don't think that we are looking at apples compared to apples in regards to a Palmetto versus Uberti, but that is only my supposition since I have never had any experience with a "Palmetto" brand.  I like the idea of a 5 1/2 inch barrel over a 4 inch barrel, however, if the Uberti is a higher quality pistol than the other, does the barrel length make that big of a difference when it comes to plinking and just general use?  I had a Dixie 1860 Army a number of years ago that was a pretty good pistol but I don't know who actually made it.  I have no experience with a "Palmetto" brand - anybody out there have one?  Problems?  Praise? I'm assuming that the Palmetto and the Uberti '49 models are the same frame size, etc. and probably pretty identical except for barrel length (not regarding quality).  I'd like to stick with the '49 pocket model in .31 rather than go to the .36 pocket models (Navy or Army) as the ones that I have seen seem to be pretty light in the frame size when using the .36 caliber.  I have a .36 '51 Navy and a .36 Griswold & Gunnison repro.  The '49 Pocket Model is next on my list of buys, but I don't want to get somethng that I won't be happy with when it comes to quality.  Any information in regards to the above two pistols - the Uberty '49 Pocket and the Dixie '49 Hartford Pocket,  would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks in advance!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
I dont really know all that much about them either, though Im going to order one myself in the very near future. I am going with the cimarron, ordering from Texas Jacks, they have the 4" model for 269.95. Its listed as a 4.5" barrel, but on the cimarron site its listed as 4".

Good luck

Dave

Offline FourBee

Kal; I'm also wanting one of those 1849 Pockets'.  Dixie carries both the Palmetto and Uberti 49's.  The Uberti is $295.  

UB's have smaller nipples 5.5mm x9 compared to Pal's 6mm x 7.5.  The UB barrel a Tapered Octagon .650" breech barrel , a 1-48 twist with 7 lands and 7 grooves, whereas the Pal' Tapered Octagon .610" breech barrel has 1-21" twist with 6 lands and 6 grooves.    The UB weighs 1 1/2 lbs. vs Pals' 1.6 lbs.  Just a few of the small hidden differences .
Both guns recommend 12grains of BP under wad and .321" lead ball.

UBERTI is known for their quality products.    Palmetto is unknown to me.   For $20 difference I'd have to pick UBERTI.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
Palmetto doesn't have the outstanding reputation of Uberti but Fall Creek Sutlers in Indiana had very good results from the Palms they were selling. I'm of the thought that Palmetto offered some trahy stuff at one time and still suffers from that. For the 20.00 diff I'd probably go with uberti.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
The difference between a Uberti revolver and a Palmetto is like the difference between filet mignon and a lump of rotting hamburger, with the Uberti being the steak. I speak from experience.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline FourBee

a lump of rotting hamburger

Whew !  Sorry to hear about your misfortunes with the pal filmokentucky.   You must'ave gotten a real stinker. ;D ;D
4B

Offline MISSEDSHOT

I bought the Uberti used for $150 the day before I was going to buy it new from Cabelas.Texas Jack's sale is over.As for the quality of the Uberti, it is excellent. I expected to polish the internals and wedge, but found it to be near perfect. I can install and remove the wedge by hand and have never been able to do that with larger caliber revolvers of any make.I recomend it highly.

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
Cap and ball revolvers shoot most accurately if the wedge is tight in the frame.
If you can remove it by hand, it's too loose.
Years ago I learned how to determine the "sweet spot" on a cap and ball wedge:
1. Using a nylon-faced hammer, or chunk of hardwood, tap the wedge in while rotating the cylinder.
2. When the cylinder begins to drag against the rear of the barrel, stop!
3. Now, tap the wedge out very lightly, just a few taps, so the cylinder no longer rubs against the rear of the barrel.
4. This is the "sweet spot" in Colt designs that will aid accuracy.

From what I've been reading on the web for the past six or even years, Palmetto has severe quality problems. In fact, I've yet to find one post of someone praising it.
A few years ago, Palmetto offered a reproduction of the Colt 1855 pocket revolver. Many were excited about this because this design is full-frame, with the frame surrounding the cylinder like the Remington.
Well, shortly after it was available I began to read horror stories about Palmetto quality. The theme was the same: avoid this garbage.
I've yet to see a kind word about Palmetto since.
Heck, I've heard so little about Palmetto the past few years that I thought the company was dead. Guess not.
Make your own decision, but from what others have posted I'd avoid anythiing made by Palmetto.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
All I can tell you is the two .44 C&B revolvers I got from Cabela's were made by F flippini of Italy and they are well made.
the other thing I know is Uberti makes great stuff.  Beretta owns them and they make the Colt SAA copy they offer.
I think you would be happy with the Uberti.

Offline FourBee

F flippini of Italy

Where it says in Italian "F.LLi Pietta".  In English it means =  Brothers, Pietta.  In America we would say Pietta Brothers. I read that somewhere just recently.

4B

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
Well My uberti 49 just got here today, so far Id have to say with out even shooting it, I want another one!

this little thing not only looks great, I feels great in the hand. I cannot wait for some free time to go and play with it.

Ill let ya know

Dave

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
4B thanks,

Kal,
We are looking forward to your range report.

Offline ZVP

Uberti makes a much more refined and finished product across the board (All it's models).
 I just bought a .44 caliber Navy manufactured by Piettia. It's a nice gun but nowhere near the Uberti. Even the cocking effort is less with the Uberti!
 During post-shooting clean-up, I compared the angle of the Hammer stroke, and I discovered that the entire hammer geometry is different from the Piettia. The pivot bolt is located WAY differentlly thus reducing the effort needed to operate through the cocking cycle.
 The $20 to $30 price difference between Uberti and everybody elses models not only nets you the listed differences but likely several more than  my novice eyes can spot. Unless you have a specificreason to want another brand, I'd suggest opting for the Uberti. I specifically wanted the Confererate-like Brass Frame look of thePiettia to blend in with my new Confederate States Gunbelt/Holster rig.
 You work hard for your money, might as well spend it on the better quality gun...
 ZVP