Author Topic: Picked up another one today  (Read 848 times)

Offline snakeman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Picked up another one today
« on: April 29, 2009, 01:01:45 PM »
Went to one of the pawn shops here in town today just to look around and what do I find sitting on the rack? An NEF 12 ga pardner that looked brand new. Just being curious I asked to take a look at it. It was an older style with the old forend and the case hardened receiver. I checked it out real well and asked the guy what he knew about it. He said that it was brand new in the box and had never been fired. He wanted $79.99 for it and after some talking I got him to drop it down to $65 dollars plus tax. It came home with me. I think I may cut the barrel down to 20" and thread it for chokes. I am going back this weekend to pick up a Topper 88 in 20ga that he is going to give me for the same price. It is not new but still in good shape.

snakeman

Offline kansasj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: Picked up another one today
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 01:06:06 PM »
Good for you Snakeman!!!  I bought the same thing last week new only it was a 2007 model with a 28" modified barrel and paid $119.00 for it and thought I got a deal--now I won't sleep tonight. I am going to use 3" Coyote loads when I call yotes and they are too close for my Handi .205.  It sure is a light little shotgun. Wonder how it will feel with the heavy shot and load??
Yesterday is history--tomorrow is a mystery--today is a gift!---That is why they call it the present!

Offline kansasj

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 01:07:11 PM »
Correction--don't think they make a .205---how bout a .204
Yesterday is history--tomorrow is a mystery--today is a gift!---That is why they call it the present!

Offline snakeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:08:22 PM »
kansasj,  I didn't really need them but I got the one and am getting the other one just because. Not sure how it is going to feel with that load. If it is anything like the 3 inch turkey loads I have shot, your gonna feel it a little. Let me know how bad it is ;D.

snakeman

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 04:39:13 PM »
My wife got me one with a full choke last fall to hike around the Badlands while helping my brother hunt Elk. I decided to pattern it with all my available yote loads  :o

None of the patterns were as impressive as the one on my shoulder!  Im telling ya, I got a slip on recoil pad for it, and it was worth every penny, if I hadnt had that baby on it, Id be a lefty today. 3"  Federal BB was the best btw.

I love this little gun.

good luck with yours

Dave

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 10:55:02 AM »

I'd be careful about cutting that barrel too much. I made the mistake of cutting one to 18 1/2". You need to make sure you have enough weight to cause the barrel to drop on it's own. Mine won't, I need to do a quick down and up movement to drop the barrel for reloading. If I had left it at 22" or 24" it would have been a lot better, at least that's what I'm thinking.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 11:16:07 AM »
A little forend spacer sanding will make the barrel drop open easy, a forend that's too tight will make it harder to drop open. Shotguns aren't sensitive to forend accuracy issues like a rifle, but forend fit fixes still apply. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline kansasj

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 12:02:59 PM »
Correct Tim--Also if one carefully removes the right material at the right place on the forearm it will not rub blueing off the receiver.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 12:28:34 PM »
A little beeswax or paraffin will help with that problem, specially with the steel spacer.  ;)

Tim

Offline kansasj

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 01:07:11 PM »
I was working on a moyers front piece brass so you know what I had to do!!!  I kept asking myself if I had the right replacement part for the right gun.ha

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 01:17:40 PM »
I only have the one Moyers brass TG & spacer, my first and last, but I have a bunch of the H&R blued steel parts, there's not even a hint of the same quality in his parts.  ::)

Tim

Offline kansasj

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 01:27:57 PM »
I considered sending him a bill for my time but it amounted to more $ than what I paid for the spacer :'(

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 02:39:23 PM »
The last thing I sent him was a scathing email!! :o  :-X

Tim

Offline snakeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 04:54:27 PM »
Thanks guys. I will keep that in mind when I get ready to do the project.

snakeman