Author Topic: Primer blowout  (Read 417 times)

Offline Preacherman

• Trade Count: (31)
  • Contributor
Primer blowout
« on: May 03, 2009, 09:57:38 AM »
Shooting my 357mag Contender yesterday had a primer failure I guess.It sounded funny tried to open the action it would only open about 1/2 after working it a few times it opened.The brass has a needle size hole between the primer and brass.Never had any thing like that happen before.I was using 6.something titegroup.Makes me a little uneasy.
Preacherman
Acts10:13

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Primer blowout
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 01:00:57 PM »
Primer blowouts will gas cut your breach face. It will burn in little pits in the breach face where the hole is in the case. Do not ask how I know this. Not all is lost if it happens, you can replace the part that holds in the firing pin(s) that gets gas cut if it becomes bad enough. 1 small pit will not hurt any thing. The primer blow out is almost always caused from excessive pressure. Double check your load and make sure you did not double charge one. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Preacherman

• Trade Count: (31)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 04:01:56 PM »
Thanks for the advice
Preacherman
Acts10:13

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 06:21:57 AM »
The OP's failure, if exactly as described, is most likely due to a faulty primer cup.  Naramore describes this failure on pg 145 (Principles and Practice of Loading Ammunition) with a good photo. 

However, since the OP reported a clear sign of high pressure - sticky opening - I suspect that the blowout may actually be due to opening of the primer pocket by excessive pressure.  The small internal diameter of the .357 case will allow for pressures well into the 70,000 psi range without destroying the T/C - but it isn't good for it.