Author Topic: Need Suggestions for Necking Down  (Read 989 times)

Offline doc-and

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Need Suggestions for Necking Down
« on: July 19, 2003, 04:49:20 AM »
I'm sitting here looking at a .25ACP case and my Contender barrel collection, and wondering about a .14-25ACP.  Seems short fat cases are the rage these days.

Anyone tried wildcatting the .25ACP case and if so what was your results.

Any suggestions on how to neck down to .14 with out die expenditure.  Want to make-up a sample for possible custom reamer/barrel/dies.

doc-and   :gun4:

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 03:01:06 PM »
An easy way I have found to make custom sizer dies is as follows: start with a piece of flat steel plate and a short length (about as long as the case you want to size) section of steel tubing, an inch or larger ID. Turn an exact replica of your proposed case out of some sort of free machining steel. Either turn and thread or drill and tap the back end for a small threaded stud, and drill and tap the plate for this so you can firmly attach the case to the plate. Now locate and clamp the tube over your case, easier if you machined a groove in the plate beforehand but not absolutely critical. Now use some zinc casting alloy, or babbit metal or some sort of hard castable alloy and fill the tube to just below the mouth of the case. When it's hard, remove and face off in the lathe. You now have a sizing die you can use in a vise, knocking the cases out with a rod.  Beyond this, you could get somebody with a small boring bar set to chamber a sizer for you that you could use the same way. BTW, I have seen a 22-25ACP setup before, in a Romanian '69 bolt action I believe. Cute little squirrel rifle! A .17 would be cool, but a .14 would get spendy for the barrel and bullets I'd imagine.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline 3rgunman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 04:48:05 AM »
That round already exists.  It is called the .14 Flea.  I saw a contender barrel on ebay a while back chambered in it, and I believe it was an SSK so you might try to contact them about it.  Hopes this helps.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 01:01:47 PM »
Isn't the .14 Flea based on the .32 ACP case?
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline 3rgunman

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 01:12:06 PM »
I think you are right.  I guess that is what happens when you engage your mouth/fingers before the brain is in gear. :lol:

Offline rodgervich

14/25
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 06:25:01 PM »
I made a 17 caliber on a 25 ACP case, I call it a 17 Skeeter.
It wouldn't be to hard to go one caliber smaller to 14. I made my own form dies and reloading dies and my own reamer for the rifle. I also modified a Romanian 22lr to centerfire for this project, the 22/25 is the "Epperson Cricket" and that was my inspiration. I would imagine you could get over 2500ft/sec in a 14/25. In my Skeeter I can get up to 2200ft/sec but accuracy drops above 1950 ft/sec. This is with 15 gr bullets moly coated about 1.5 gr pistol powder and 21" barrel.
I'll make you dies if you want to try it.