Author Topic: Some work in progress  (Read 664 times)

Offline broadarrow

• Trade Count: (0)
Some work in progress
« on: April 29, 2009, 01:25:42 AM »
Hi All, I just thought I would share these pictures of work in progress on these carriages, one is for me, The other three are for fellow club members. We are hoping that with the appearance of a few cannons at once it will motivate other members to drag out their cannons or start a project themselves and shoot them more often than just once a year if they have them. The carriages are based on those in the John Muller book using the drawings shown in plateV and the dimensions given in the text on ship’s and garrison carriages which were scaled to suit the dimensions of our 18 inch barrel pattern we have here which is from the recovered cannons of Captain Cooks H.M Endeavour which were thrown overboard on the Great Barrier Reef and recovered some 200 years later. I will add more pictures as we get closer to completion and as we have a shoot day with them, I hope you all enjoy them, Regards, Peter B.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Re: Some work in progress
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:26:20 AM »
 Pretty nifty. You're now an official artillery armoury.

Is that one of the bbls next to the WD-40 can?
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline broadarrow

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:40:22 AM »
Hi Victor3, no that isn't one of the barrels in the background. I will grab one out of the safe and photograph it on friday and post them here for you, Regards, Peter B.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 03:50:55 AM »
I have the a drawing of the Endeavour cannon, that is a pretty neat gun. 

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Q!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 06:56:52 AM »
Soon you'll be able to say, not: Ready, FIRE; but BATTERY fire!   :D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »
very nice ;D
you and tropico could can trade broadsides !
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline broadarrow

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 02:44:12 AM »
Hi Victor3, here as promised is a picture of each of the two types of barrel to be used on the carriages. Three will be iron like the top picture and one in naval gun bronze like the lower picture, Regards, Peter B.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 03:07:56 AM »
 Well, I guess those are okay...

:o

Ummm..... Got any extras of them clunkers layin' around?

All joking aside, those are looking like they should be on some really fancy carriages. That's some super-duper detail in those barrels.

I'm nominating those beauties for kewpie doll.  ;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 05:37:01 PM »
Hi Victor3, here as promised is a picture of each of the two types of barrel to be used on the carriages. Three will be iron like the top picture and one in naval gun bronze like the lower picture, Regards, Peter B.

These are some good looking tubes Broadarrow; what is the bore size, and did someone in your group cast and finish them, or did you have them made to order?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline broadarrow

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 12:31:07 AM »
Hi BoomJ, the bore size is .75cal which is the maximum size allowable under our state laws for "live fire" cannons in New South Wales Australia. A company called Pioneer Gun Works originally made these barrels and sold them for many years and now Newcastle Gun Works manufactures and sells them.  They are generally supplied as cast to the customer and are the most common pattern on the firing line here, Regards, Peter B.

P.S. Thanks for the compliment Victor3 and I agree those barrels are very well detailed and are intricate to finish from the casting stage especially around the cypher