Author Topic: Thundermug variation  (Read 2354 times)

Offline CV66Slim

• Trade Count: (1)
Thundermug variation
« on: May 03, 2009, 04:32:52 PM »
I've been interested in purchasing a cannon for years, but have just now set my mind to doing it. I came across some fireworks in my deceased uncle's garage and loved the boom, so long story short, here I am looking for a cannon, and something that offers more safety and is legal. After finding some Thundermugs on firework websites, I saw cannonmn's Thundermug video and really caught the bug.

I've read through hundreds of posts on this website and I have determined a Thundermug with a golf ball bore is probably the right thing to get me going. I don't intend on firing projectiles much, but I want that option. Is it worth having a custom Thundermug made with a powder chamber for the times when a golf ball will be launched? Would there be an adverse affect on the chamber when the mug is fired with a large amount of powder (within safe limits) and no projectile? I know the starting point for the mug I want will be a 4" diameter, or possibly 5" to get the design I want. I would welcome any Thundermug plans or lessons learned.

I did speak to Dominick on the phone and am anxious to see some of his new designs.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Thundermug variation
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 08:06:51 PM »
If you really will want to launch a few projectiles, a thundermug is not really the best idea, primarily because it will launch them close to straight up.  A mortar or howitzer are probably better choices for projectile launching, even infrequently, because the projectile will be headed down range rather than down toward the launcher.  A mortar can be almost as small as a thundermug if transport is an issue.

A chambered mortar will not make as much noise as a thundermug with the same bore because you can't load as much powder.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 12:37:41 AM »
There's nothing wrong with launching golfballs straight up - other than the obvious that they'll come straight down.  Put a little tilt on it and they'll go up and over a little.

I have one that I made of 4140 that I hold in my hands (with gloves).  It's a hoot to shoot!  Simple to make.  Never fired it from the ground.  Only problem when firing it from hand-held (other than being CLOSE to the muzzle blast) is that ALL that you see is smoke - the other folks get to see where the golfball goes.  Pix follow later today.

AND, WELCOME to the board!!!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline CV66Slim

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 01:06:32 AM »
I would never shoot the ball straight up. A friend and I use to shoot arrows straight up and survived, so I won't do any nonsense like that again.

I thought I would make a cradle for the mug so I could shoot downrange. Wouldn't a chamber be beneficial for that purpose? I am one of the people that would never buy a dvd/vcr combo, but I guess I am looking for the equivalent in a Thundermug. The problem is that I can only buy one, so I'm looking for the most bang for the buck, and like someone on here once said--a possible heirloom.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 01:11:56 AM »
I have one that I made of 4140 that I hold in my hands (with gloves). 

LOL!

"Hold my beer and watch this."

"No Jethro, that's my mug. Beer's in t'other hand."

;D
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 02:16:20 AM »
why not a king howitzer ?? ask dominick and he will help you
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 04:13:54 AM »
Welcome to the board!  I'm flattered that our humble video helped motivate you!  Just don't use a twig for a ramrod like Ed tried to do! 

I think thundermugs are fun and as I may have mentioned, am looking for an economical way to make 50 and fire them in rapid sequence, I still think electrically is the way for me to go on that one.  I have a small bottle of liquid that you dip a stripped, dual-conductor cable into and presto, electric match, so hope I can find that stuff.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 12:45:24 PM »
... am looking for an economical way to make 50 ...

What's your definition of economical?  They would be pretty easy to make as plain cylinders with intersecting holes.  It's all the detail and handles that drive up the cost.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline CV66Slim

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 02:00:32 PM »
What's a king howitzer?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 03:03:42 PM »
What's a King howitzer?

This may be more than you want to know about King Howizters--King Howitzer articles.  They are small howitzers made in the 1790's in the post-Revolutionary United States.  Used in the early Indian wars.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 03:07:51 PM »
2.85 inch bore.  There were two models, one very small tube proved too weak at trunnions, so was redesigned into heavier model which held up better.  These were made in 1790's and used against Native Americans primarily.  The first user and proponent of them was General "Mad" Anthony Wayne, who used them at Battle of Fallen Timbers.  Here is an example of the 2nd model, in the West Point museum.  These are very popular as far as people shooting repros, since they are sort of American icons.  They are also small and easy to handle.  I don't know exactly what the carriage looked like.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 03:11:20 PM »
I don't know exactly what the carriage looked like.

It appears that no one really knows exactly what the carriages looked like as no really authoritative documentation has emerged describing them.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 03:18:57 PM »
Here's one I built a few months ago.  Not exactly a King Howie but similar.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 03:24:04 PM »
Here's the new design thunder mugs.  More taper.

Offline CV66Slim

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 03:51:46 PM »
Dominick, What's the recommended load with a golf ball?

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 09:51:35 AM »
here is a few drawings from 1706 , europen style howies .
the last one even showing how to use a mortar as a howie .
just some inspiration for you Dominick  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 01:02:35 PM »
I don't like Howie, whoever he is.  Personal opinion.

Offline CV66Slim

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 03:05:18 PM »
Welcome to the board!  I'm flattered that our humble video helped motivate you!  Just don't use a twig for a ramrod like Ed tried to do! 

I think thundermugs are fun and as I may have mentioned, am looking for an economical way to make 50 and fire them in rapid sequence, I still think electrically is the way for me to go on that one.  I have a small bottle of liquid that you dip a stripped, dual-conductor cable into and presto, electric match, so hope I can find that stuff.

If you need some pyrogen, contact Marty Cox (astromarty@aol.com) or try this link http://www.quickburst.net/unregulated_products.htm

How many times do you want to fire the 50 mugs? What size mugs are you thinking about? Undoubtedly you want to make a video. Maybe someone on here would make 50 mugs, members would buy the mugs, you shoot them and then mail them to the owners?

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 03:50:18 PM »
Thanks, I do have enough of the goop to get by for now but it is good to know where to get more.

My company has lots of inert ordnance such as artillery projectiles, cartridge cases, etc. etc.  I'm looking through the warehouses to see if any ordnance item might work as a thunder mug with  little or no modification.  There are at least hundreds of each item so getting 50 is a non-issue if we find something that would work safely.