Author Topic: I hate being senile...  (Read 869 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
I hate being senile...
« on: May 08, 2009, 04:56:02 AM »
I left work early yesterday to try to get to the range.  Didn't make it...  :(  Once I got home and sat down in my man cave I was just to tired to go out again...  :-[

So, while trying to work up enough energy to go upstairs to bed I thought I'd load some more .358 Wins for when I do go shooting.  I loaded four groups of three rounds each, the powder charge in each group increased by .5 gr. over the previous one; I'm still working up this year's hunting load for my M99.

The last group was to have been 40.5 gr.  After charging the cases I looked into them and noticed the powder level was half way up the case neck.  That was strange as I didn't remember the 40 gr load filling the case that much...  :-\  So I checked my scale and reweighed the charge.  Right on the money.  Dispite the nagging feeling that something was wrong I seated bullets on 2 of the 3 cases, a compressed load.

It was only after I saw that I would have to adjust my seating die to get the OAL down to where I wanted it that the fog in my mind parted and I looked at my scale.  It was not set at 40.5 gr, it was set at 45 gr!   :o  Since the max load for the powder I was using was 42 gr., I could have had an unpleasant day at the range if I had continued to ignore the uneasy feeling...  :(

Just a few days earlier I noticed that I had noted the charge on a bag of 44 Mags I had loaded as 18.3 gr. of Unique!  I knew I meant to load them with 8.3 gr. so I pulled one and checked the charge to make sure.  Fortunately the were loaded with 8.3 gr.  I had just writen down the wrong numbers.   :-[

I'm making too many mistakes...
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: I hate being senile...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 05:26:26 AM »
If something doesn't look right-------------or feel right, it's time to double check everything! I was loading some 9mm on my progressive the other day. (I visually check each charge as I place the bullet in the case mouth) One of the cases appeared to have slightly more powder in it than the others. Pulled it out and weighed it, right on the money. I looked inside the empty case, and there was an accumulation of crud about 1/16 of an inch thick. Don't know if reducing the case volume by that much would case a serious problem, but don't want to take the chance! Stay alert brother!!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 05:35:31 AM »
Keep double checking! Sometimes I feel like a rookie with all the checks, rechecks, and then recheck again when I dispense powder. For the same reason you stated. :(

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 06:22:01 AM »
Listen for it:
[BIG] BANG! 

Then:
Weren't there four or five fingers on that hand a minute ago? 

Walk away.  Sleep on it.  Try again tomorrow.  AtlLaw is good.  AtlLaw is wise.  AtlLaw is whole.  Goosefrabba...goosefrabba...repeat.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 07:24:52 AM »
 :D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 07:33:09 AM »
Its only a mistake if you don't fix it . We all have brain farts from time to time that's why the ones of us that live have trained ourself to check and double check or carry a lucky charm . or both .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
But... Re: I hate being senile...
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 08:41:16 AM »
You could join the Democrats and feel right to home... mindless twits...

If that is an accurate picture the white hair indicates an overall shortage of copper in your diet for a long time... there is a doctor at letstalkhealth.com who can, if you let him, help you feel and act a bunch younger...

And if you think you get good, complete nutrition info anywhere as a rule an attorney, John Emord, has a web site, emord.com where he has posted fed court decisions from when he sued the feds for permission to tell the truth about nutrition and health under the First Amendment. So far he has been winning. The one that got the info on Omega 3 oils was there. Sad day you have to sue the government for permission to tell the truth... luck.

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 08:52:22 AM »

If that is an accurate picture the white hair indicates an overall shortage of copper in your diet for a long time... there is a doctor at letstalkhealth.com who can, if you let him, help you feel and act a bunch younger...

And if you think you get good, complete nutrition info anywhere as a rule an attorney, John Emord, has a web site, emord.com where he has posted fed court decisions from when he sued the feds for permission to tell the truth about nutrition and health under the First Amendment. So far he has been winning. The one that got the info on Omega 3 oils was there. Sad day you have to sue the government for permission to tell the truth... luck.

HUH??   ???
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline GameHauler

• Trade Count: (49)
  • A Real Regular
  • Thank you Every One for Positive Feedback
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 09:41:24 AM »
Must have let the Dr. Help :D ;D
Mike

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 09:42:51 AM »
Another reminder as to when NOT to do any reloading.

Tired ? Go to bed or sit down somewhere to rest(not at a reloading bench!)
Wanna try to watch the younguns whil reloading? Go watch 'em, play with 'em or what ever but not while loading.

Distractions, while loading, can get us and folks around us, killed or maimed.

Dang glad ya noticed something squirrelly and stopped!

HWD

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 10:41:13 AM »

If that is an accurate picture the white hair indicates an overall shortage of copper in your diet for a long time...And if you think you get good, complete nutrition info anywhere ...

HUH??   ???
Savage

???  I think he just called me a malnourished, copper deficient, mindless twit...  :-\

;) :D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 10:46:33 AM »
Yup, what I wanna know tho is how did he get to know ya so well.  :o ;D ???

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 10:49:09 AM »
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 10:50:53 AM »
look at it from a different view , if you and the gun held togather you could become a wildcat inventer like Kieth , Ackley and etc.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 12:48:39 PM »
I don't know if I want to bet on mighty big "if's" like that! :-\   ;)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 11:27:50 PM »
And I was beginning to think I was the only one  with some recent flubs. I mis-set my scale a while back but got "that nagging feeling".  Pulled a few bullets and I was 10 grains low - wondered why there was so much space in the cases. I too was working late night and maybe not near as awake as I thought. I even put one of those yellow triangle warning stickers on my powder scale.

So tonight I'm surfing instead.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 03:02:24 AM »
  I think he just called me a malnourished, copper deficient, mindless twit... 

You left out the worst part!

You could join the Democrats and feel right to home

Now that is a blow a little below the belt.
As a matter of fact, them's fighing words!!!  :D ;D

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 04:50:53 AM »
I know the feeling that I may have missed something.  Years ago I put a chalk board on the wall behind my reloading bench.  Before I start loading for a cartridge I write the Cal, bullet, powder and charge on the board.  A couple of times I have returned to square one because powder spilled out the top of a case when I was filling.  I normally load powder in rifle cartridges that come close to 90% of capacity.  If I mess up spillage occurs!

Handgun cartridges cause me more concern because a small percentage of the case is filled by a safe charge, and I do the flashlight test before bullet seating.  Safe practices takes a little more time.
Perfection is the goal.  Distraction is a curse!
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 05:52:28 AM »
You left out the worst part!

You could join the Democrats and feel right to home

Now that is a blow a little below the belt.
As a matter of fact, them's fighing words!!!  :D ;D

You know, you right!   :o  The boy done called me a democrap wannabe!   Said I'd feel right at home with 'em!   :'(

:-\  >:(  MAN!!!  I gonna hunt him down like a dog!!!  >:(  There's some things no self-respectin man will stand for!   >:( >:(

Maybe I'll just load him up some a my special cart-a-ges...  8)  Just to show there's no hard feelins...   ;D

Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 09:59:30 AM »
hey atlaw just wait a couple of days! if your like me you will have done forgot about it!!! as far as the white and gray hair goes i EARNED ever one of mine!!! i wouldn't change a darn thing tho!!!take care and good shooting and fer christ sakes stay safe!!!!!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 06:12:06 AM »
you will have done forgot about it!!!

???
Forgot about what?   ???
 ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline ozarkhillbilly49

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 06:32:07 AM »
see what i mean atlaw!! thank the lord you caught your charging mistake! when i charge reloads i use 2 loading blocks one is a hardwood block where i can turn the cases bottom upards. it has 1 hole in it that i put a case in and charge. i have made it a habit to move the charged case to a standard loading block and do not touch until bullet seating i am getting used to senility and other handicaps. some things i have had to give up other things i have found a way to get done!!! i ain't all the way gone yet!!!! take care.i wish you much good and happy shooting!