Author Topic: AR Accuracy  (Read 818 times)

Offline cjclemens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
AR Accuracy
« on: May 04, 2009, 06:47:22 PM »
a buddy of mine upgraded his AR upper and sold me his old one on the cheap.  I put it on a DTI lower I bought some time ago, meaning to upgrade, but never did.  With his DPMS lower, it shot right about a 1" group with an occasional flier using the cheapest ammo we could find.  However, when we took it out to shoot with my lower on it, it wouldn't make a group very well at all with the exact same ammo.  The difference in accuracy made me wonder, what in a lower affects accuracy?  I have always been under the impression that AR accuracy was all in the upper.  Then again, I've never had an AR that didnt shoot very well, so I've never had to do any troubleshooting.  Anyone have any ideas?

Offline stubshaft

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
  • ROA's Rule
Re: AR Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 07:56:10 PM »
Did you install one of those "accu-wedges"?
If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong.

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 02:53:38 AM »
I sure did.  It seemed to help a little bit, but not enough to get it where I think it should be.

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 03:37:15 AM »
Did you check the bore for copper fouling?
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 03:58:40 AM »
I didn't at the range, but I gave the bore a thorough cleaning when I got home.  It didn't seem to be too bad.  I think the upper has less than 500 rounds through it, anyway.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 08:42:25 AM »
ive swapped uppers and lowers back and forth a ton of times and never seen it effect accuracy to any big degree. My guess is that the ammo you shot was a different lot no. then the last time and believe me especially with cheap ball ammo it can very alot from differnt lots. Same goes with 22s. When i find a 22 shell that shoots well in one of my guns i buy as much of that lot as i can.
blue lives matter

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 05:50:30 PM »
I suppose that could be it, too.  Ill have to check and see if I have any of that other case left...they seem to go quickly when I have the AR's out  8)

Offline TRAPPERKRIS

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 07:34:19 PM »
open sight or scope?  If scope rings/mounts are loose you'll have problems.  known good scope?

just a couple thoughts

chris from nv.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 07:03:18 AM »
About the only thing I could see making a difference in the lower is the feel of the trigger.  Were both lowers the same type of stock either fixed A2 style or collapsable 6-position?  That might make a different in the fit & feel of the gun.

Offline cjclemens

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
Scope mounts and rings were the first thing I checked, and they were still tight.  The scope is a Bushnell Banner.  It's not top-end, but I've yet to have one fail on me.  The lowers both have the same 6-position collapsible stock on them.  The only real difference might be the trigger.  The DTI triger has a lot of creep to it, but it wasn't particularly heavy.  I was shooting from a rest, so I don't think the trigger would have thrown me off by much.

Offline 2zuks

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 10:30:01 AM »
Yeah, the trigger is the only thing in the lower that I can think of that would affect your accuracy. I don't know other than that.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 10:49:49 AM »
Scope mounts and rings were the first thing I checked, and they were still tight.  The scope is a Bushnell Banner.  It's not top-end, but I've yet to have one fail on me.  The lowers both have the same 6-position collapsible stock on them.  The only real difference might be the trigger.  The DTI triger has a lot of creep to it, but it wasn't particularly heavy.  I was shooting from a rest, so I don't think the trigger would have thrown me off by much.

If you can feel a difference in the triggers than it makes a difference.  I never understood what a big part triggers play until I tried out a savage accutrigger.  I think you make want to really try to feel the difference in the triggers side by side if possible.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 12:02:18 PM »
My suggestion is to tear apart your trigger and clean it.  the trigger may irratic trigger control that will throw ammo all over the place.
I saw my groups open up at one time with my target rifle and it was suggested to me to strip the whole lower clean oil and reassemble.
cleared up my problems.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 12:03:53 PM »
Oh also you may want to look at the rear sight.  One side of the L is huge ( Battle)  and the other is small (target).
flip it to the target sight and shoot for group with it.