Author Topic: Opinions please  (Read 548 times)

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Opinions please
« on: May 08, 2009, 01:14:53 PM »
I normally dont buy from ebay but advertised as new should be new...I think. First let me say I bought a Nikon 4x40 Buckmaster. The scope box came in a 3M box that didnt fit right and was poorly packaged. The scope box was kinda smudged and dirty looking like it had been handled many times. The two round sticky tape tabs on both ends of the scope box was very dirty and had a lot of dust like lent on them like the box had been opened and closed several times. The scope itself was inside the plastic like it should be and all paperwork was in place and scope appears to be flawless. I have not mounted it yet to see if it works or not but the adjustments click and sound alright and appear to function properly. The ebay store from which I bought this from has bought/sold 52,647 items with a feedback rating of 99.9% and that is very good rating. They offer a very good refund policy along with a phone # for me to call Mon to Fri and even Sat.
Before I say anything my question is since they advertise as NEW then shouldnt the scope box package itself come sealed in clear cellophane ?
Would you let it slide as long as the scope works alright ? If I mount the scope and it doesnt work (zero in) properly then they probably wont want it back and tell me to deal with the factory which I can understand so before I do anything I wanted some opinions. After the wife and I have talked about it we both tend to think that the scope is probably just fine and will work ok. Could it possibly be refurbished and how can you tell ?

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Opinions please
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 02:35:14 PM »
First thing to check. Make certain there is a serial no. under the turret housing. Also it might tell where the scope was made. The Nikons are made in the Philapeans. {if thats how you spell it} A week or so ago a bought a real nice highend Bushnell with rande finding reticle and illuminated cross hairs. I called Bushnell to get the instructions for the range finder. Come to find out the scope was a counterfeit. So, thats why I said to be certain of the serial no. That is the tell tell sign. If Nikon will warrenty it, I would not worry about it. Mount it shoot it.    Jim 36

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 03:33:09 PM »
Sounds like great advice. Sorry to hear about your trouble but glad you had a happy ending. I checked and it does have a serial # KK004263 and it says "made in the Philippines" Ive checked the web for different serial #'s but cant tell if its a good serial number. I think you are right about just mounting it and shooting with it. I just wanted to make sure before I continue so if anyone knows if this is a good serial number then that would be great to know.
Thanks

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 04:40:26 PM »
As long as it has a serial no. its probably top drawer. By the way I got my money back on the fake scope. The web is full of stuff about counterfiet scopes.  Jim

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 06:09:18 PM »
Coffee,
I just checked the one that I bought (about a month ago?) from Natchez - the serial number is KK002910.  Mine did not have cellophane around the box - but did have the two circular seals.  My box, etc. all looked in perfect shape.  Based on serial numbers, your scope would seem to be "newer" than mine.  I don't think you should have any problems.  Also, Nikon's guarantee is unconditional.
You should be just fine.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline CoffeeInMe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 01:28:41 AM »
This sounds great. Its just what I needed to know. I will mount the scope and give it a try.
Thanks for all the help.