Author Topic: He never knew what hit him  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
He never knew what hit him
« on: May 19, 2009, 02:53:09 AM »
Many have probably already seen the pics of this armor on a Napoleonic website, but for some reason this decorative brass plated steel chest armor has interested me ever since I first saw the photos. I don't mean this to be morbid, but if your number is called when you're young, I suppose this would be as good a way to go as any. The Carabinier that wore this cuirass couldn't have had any time to contemplate either pain nor his fate that day on the field at Waterloo, when the six-pound solid shot that made the holes in what is now a museum attraction, took his life.

"The visitor to the army museum at Les Invalides, Paris, who walks into the room devoted to the 1815 campaign and the Restoration is confronted by a dramatic relic taken from the battlefield  of  Waterloo. In a display cabinet stands a handsome polished cuirass of brass plated steel, expressing the martial glamour of Napoleon’s army – except that a huge hole is punched through both breast and back plates, where a 6-pound cannonball smashed its way through the troopers right breast and shoulder.
 The sight of this ruined armor, now engraved with the date ’18 juin 1815’, is extraordinarily moving, and the visitor cannot help but imagine the fate of the 23-year old Carabinier Antoine Francois Faveau, who wore it on that fatal Sunday. He rode with the 2nd Company, 4th Squadron of the 2nd Regiment of Carabiniers – one of only two regiments to wear these gleaming brass-faced cuirasses. Brigaded together, these elite units of the French heavy cavalry of the Line took part in the last desperate charge sent in vain by Marshal Ney against the stubborn British infantry squares. Faveau’s cuirass may stand as an eloquent symbol of despairing courage and sacrifice, and of the final downfall of Napoleon’s empire.
 When young Antoine Faveau was torn from his saddle at Waterloo, Napoleon’s Carabiniers had already been fighting on Europe’s battlefields for 20 years."

"The effects of Napoleonic artillery fire on humans could be terrifying. While modern weapons may or may not tear and rend, artillery roundshot was virtually guaranteed to cause dramatic and gory casualties. The cannonballs themselves were subsonic, and lobbed slowly through the air, loudly whistling as they approached. Even at the end of its effective range, rolling shot would bowl men over and cause widespread injury. If flying shot hit a horse, it was not just a matter of the horse falling over; the ball might strike the saddlebags, scattering the contents in every direction as the horse went spinning, splattering pieces of the animal closely behind the chunks of leather and cloth.. At close range, artillery fire would punch holes straight through entire sections of units. During the battle of Waterloo, British artillery fired "doubleshot" charges (one charge of cannister backed up by a round of shot) at point blank range into advancing French heavy cavalry. In one case, the entire front rank of cavalry was taken down, stopping the assault only because none of the following troops could make their way over the heaving pile of men and horses to their front! The cuirass at right belonged to Antoine Faveau, a Carabinier trooper killed at Waterloo. The photograph explains itself, the main feature being the cannonball hole punched completely through both front and back halves of the steel cuirass!"

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: He never knew what hit him
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 03:28:57 AM »
Artillerymen know when the battle is over because they are ordered to cease fire, and then withdraw, the same with a naval batle, one ship goes down, while the other sails away. Unless there is a surrender, they usually don't view the effects of their fire. This is a chilling look at what can and does happen when you send a round across the battlefield into opposing troops. Or, a careless shot not knowing your target background! Thanks for posting these pictures! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 04:16:32 AM »
I can see it from an Artilleryman's point of view...... line my point of aim on the shiny brass line in front of me...........

I had one of those cuirasse with the brass they were well built but never intended to defend against such punishment.

At least this memorial is well documented and the owner is known, too many times a relic like this is carried off only to

be hawked a hundred plus years later at an antique show or gun show anomonomus lost to history.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 06:55:19 AM »
I just viewed, "Waterloo" by Dino DeLaurentis with Rod Steiger, Orson Wells, Jack Hawkins Christopher Plummer, etc., last weekend for the 6th time over the years I have owned it.  Well done.  One can appreciate the above images after viewing. Try it.  Lots of cannons.

rc
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »
I can't imagine what was going through the minds of the Confederate soldiers at Pickett's charge, facing all those Union artillery pieces and witnessing the same kind of devastation.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 12:11:58 AM »
 Reminds me of a family story...

My Grandfather was an ambulance driver in WWI. He contracted a disease during the war. Never diagnosed conclusively, but it was some kind of degenerative nerve disorder that eventually crippled him and made it unable for him to breathe.

My Father came to visit him in the hospital before he passed. This was just after Dad enlisted in the Navy in 1942. He told my Dad, "If possible Son, stay out of combat." He went on to relate some of the horrors he had witnessed in France.

Grandfather died in an iron lung, decades after contracting a disease during his service. The young soldier died somewhat faster, in his iron armor.

I wonder what the worse fate was.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 12:35:06 AM »
Thanks for posting it.  I put a link to it over on the Company of Military Historians forum and so far a dozen or so have looked.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 02:18:21 AM »
Rich's post concerning the Napoleon movie got me to thinking about a few of the documentaries made about the battle of Waterloo that I recalled viewing, so I went looking on You Tube, and came up with this clip.

[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BsSkNIIlplk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BsSkNIIlplk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object[/yt]
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.