Author Topic: 8 yr old gets first deer  (Read 782 times)

Offline coltpython

• Trade Count: (0)
8 yr old gets first deer
« on: November 22, 2003, 01:52:04 PM »
My 8 yr old son killed his first deer last weekend. A doe @ 60 yds with a Marlin 30-30. Handloads of course. 110 grain HP. I think I was more excited than he was. Can't wait for his first buck.

Offline grouper sandwich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://members.fishingworks.com/groupersandwich/
8 yr old gets first deer
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2003, 08:25:23 AM »
Congratulations on his first deer.  I'm sure that he's beside himself joy.  However, isn't EIGHT a little young to have a higher powered rifle in his hands, supervised or not?

Offline coltpython

8 yr old gets first deer
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 10:25:06 AM »
He has been shooting almost weekly for over a year now. He can shoot 2" groups @ 100 yards with the 30-30. The bullet is a handloaded 110gr @ about 1800 ft/sec. It has little recoil. The bullet is pointed, so the lever guns is a single shot. When the deer is in range, I hand him the gun. When he has it in the crosshairs, I cock the hammer for him. He also cut her throat and did his part in the skinning. He started shooting 22's at age 6. Before that he spent a year with me at the range learning gun safety and gun cleaning.Everything has been at his pace. I never pushed him to shoot, just waited for him to ask to. Every child is different and should be treated accordingly. For him and I there is no problem.

Offline grouper sandwich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://members.fishingworks.com/groupersandwich/
8 yr old gets first deer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2003, 12:21:42 PM »
As long as you feel that he can affectively make an ethical shot, then I guess it's fine.  I'm 100% for introducing kids to hunting, I'd just be concerned that an eight year old would be more likely to make a mistake and wound an animal.  But on the flip side, he'll be hooked for life now.  It's good that he participated in the skinning too.  Good luck to him in the future and hopeful this is just one of many to come for the young chap.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
8 yr old gets first deer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2003, 12:31:00 PM »
Fantastic!  In Michigan you have to be 14 years old to rifle hunt big game.  When my kids were younger I always had them come out for pictures when I brought a deer home and they also had plastic knives (play swords) to help me skin them.  Now both boys are hunters and except for giving up my best hunting spots I really enjoy the times we share together.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline SHW

8 yr old gets first deer
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2003, 04:51:43 PM »
CONGRATS!!!!!!  I commend you for taking him hunting.  He will never forget the times you & he spend hunting together.  I am 31 & my dad is still my favorite hunting partner.  WELL DONE> :D

Offline AAAJohn

8 yr old gets first deer
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 12:41:49 AM »
I was wondering how he took it emotionally at that young age. I've saw grown men hold back tears and quit hunting because they couldn't deal with what they just did. My nephew killed a bird with his air rifle when he was about ten and it brothered him so much I thought it would ruin his future hunting but he's alright now. He's thirty and took two deer last weekend. The only one that made me sad was an albino doe that I took three years ago and I had probably took 50+ deer before that, but seeing that one on the ground hit me pretty hard.

Offline Bob/FLA

• Avid Poster
1st deer!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 02:04:56 AM »
Congrats for you both!  That's the way to start them out.
Thanks!
Bob

Visit our website at:
www.nativeamericanarchery.com
Or contact us at:
naa@nativeamericanarchery.com

Offline Maine_Hound_Hunter

• Avid Poster
8 yr old gets first deer
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2003, 07:48:05 AM »
Good job, must have been exciting for an 8 year old....I know that when I started shooting a 22 at age 7 (I'm making my 19 year old self feel old) I was really excited to go hunting...

And AAAJohn, it's a rumor up here that if you shoot a white deer you'll never see another deer during hunting season AGAIN. But it's only a rumor of course...
Down with Maine Citizens for Fair Bear hunting!
----It will kill Maine's hunting economy....Is this really what we need?
----Plus, all you other Northeasterners, if it goes through here.......your more then likely NEXT

Offline grrdt

8 yr old gets first deer
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2003, 04:47:17 PM »
:grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin: congradulations.I'm happy for your son  :lol: .What state do you live in that you can hunt at eight ? in wisconsin you have to be twelve.i wish i had the chance to do that, I didn't get my first 'til i was 13 :?  . I hope he gets many more in the years to come. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  : :-)

:D

Offline Dutch/AL

• Avid Poster
8 yr old gets first deer
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2003, 05:10:59 AM »
That's awesome, congrats python!!! :wink:
Sportsman 700 Twin

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.

Offline Gregory

8 yr old gets first deer
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2003, 05:20:08 PM »
Congratulations!  When I was growing up in NJ in the 60's you could get a junior firearms hunting license (meant you had to be with a parent or guardian) at the age of 9.

BTW in Illinois it's not legal to shoot a white deer.  I have no idea why.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
8 yr old gets first deer
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2003, 05:52:34 PM »
Congrads my boy!!!!! :-D                  Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"