Author Topic: A Question On 5.56 Blanks  (Read 596 times)

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
A Question On 5.56 Blanks
« on: February 24, 2009, 02:28:55 PM »
  Ok guys i was wondering if anyone had tried reloading Mil-Surp 556 brass ?

I have a few hundred rounds sitting in the reloading room doing nada , And was wondering if reloading that lakecity brass was possible ...

Any help is appreciated,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: A Question On 5.56 Blanks
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 03:39:47 PM »
You mean the blank with a crimped end?  I think that the crimps extend down into the neck area and would split after one or two loadings. In addition I understand that at least in the past for 06 and 7.62,  blanks were made from rejected brass. I wouldn't mess with them.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 03:41:19 PM »
If we are talking normal Mil-Surp brass and not blanks, although I haven't done so personally I know it can be done.  You'll need to take the primer crimp out by either reaming or swaging the primer pocket, but that's about the only thing different you need to do compared to non-surplus brass.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 04:26:12 PM »
 Yeah guys ,

Its the crimped mil surp blank 556 i was reffering to .. I measured and saw that the crimp did run slightly down into the reload length of the neck but wasnt sure it it was possible or not for reloading after being fired  ... Was thinking if people fire form other brass to make wild cats or reshape to a different caliber it might be able to work...

If it would take one reload that is all i would ask of it ... Bulking up where ever i can .

Though me and the Dad just walked into 5000+ rounds of IMI and SS109 ( Green Tip ) so it may not even be a serious concern , but was curious if anyone had tried it , and what type results they had ..

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 12:47:46 AM »
Yes making 222s or 221fireballs out of the blanks would probably give you usable brass, assuming the cases were not rejects or lesser quality to start out. But who has 222s or fireballs?

I have made hundreds of 222s and some fireballs from 223s and it isn't that hard if you've got a good press.

I don't know how you would get a straight answer about what they make blanks out of, I doubt the military arsenals are much into customer relations.

I think I would take it to a scrap dealer, scrap brass is pretty high right now. Maybe you could trade it for some lead if you do any casting.

Come to think of it you would about have to cast to be able to afford to fill up all that 45 ACP brass right.

I used to go on reloading binges whenever I got nervous about the political situations in the world. I can remember making thousands of 30-30s during the Cuban missile crises. No doubt about it Democrats in power are great for the firearms industry.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 06:32:05 AM »
Thank you Bil ,

Hadnt considered the 222 or fireball for those blanks ...But I was just after using them for for 556 reloading ;)

As for hand rolling my own .. I sure do .. Went to a reloading place here in Arkansas last monday.. Picked up 300 cast 250gr 45's for the long colts , 500 cast 147gr for the 9mils , 500 hornady 55FMJ and a little over 100 remmie 180gr JSP 38/357 for the other halves winchester for hunting season next .. I'll be ordering up a bunch of lead for the 45ACP soon..

It was pretty kewl to get the tour of their reloading outfit...  Hahaha more high dollar Dillions in one room then i have ever seen to be sure .. Got to talk to the guy there that loads all their 223/556 orders , Talk about a busy busy man ... He had just ran through a 20,000 round load up of 223 for a customer and got a call for 4,000 order while we were talking ...And yet took the time to let me pick his brain a little for reloading tips that he had picked up over the years  :)

So i dont think you or I are the only ones stocking up Bil  ;D

Offline gunner69

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 05:13:54 AM »
Default,  Are you considering selling those 5.56 blanks?  How many do you have and how much you asking?  Thanks,  Gunner

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 07:50:09 AM »
check the flash hole on some blanks the hole is much larger.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 11:05:42 AM »
Gunner ,

Sorry I hadnt checked this thread in a while ... But no I'm not really wanting to sell then , as to quanity ... I think its about half a 1 gallon bag full