Author Topic: Best Tactical/LR Scope Under $1000  (Read 3324 times)

Offline jmayton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Best Tactical/LR Scope Under $1000
« on: May 10, 2009, 05:44:54 AM »
Ok, I'm planning on purchasing a Savage Precision Carbine in .308, shoot it for a while, then get it rebarrelled to .260.  It will be used for punching paper (out to 1000yds) and hunting deer, hogs, etc.  I want an optic that will be able to let me shoot to 1000, but will not be so cumbersome and complicated that it hinders it's hunting ability.  I know it will be heavy and most likely have target turrets and I'm ok with that.  I just want to know what you think the best buy is out there.  I realize by staying under $1000 I eliminate Leo Mk4's, Nightforce, S&B, and US Optics.  So what do you think?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Best Tactical/LR Scope Under $1000
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:43:54 AM »
I'm not sure if target turrets are an option or not but if I were faced with that decision I'd get one of the new Bushnell Elite 6500 scopes. In your case most likely the one with the highest magnification range. I really like the 6.5 magnification spread they have and they still have the superior Elite 4200 type optics but with a 30mm tube for greater range of adjustment as well as FOV. I want one badly but just can't swing the funds for it at this time. Actually I want two one for my .257 Whby. Magnum (the 2.5-16) and one for my SPS Varmint .22-250 (the 4.5-30) or whatever that highest power range version is.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 01:43:43 PM »
Graybeard, I certainly like the 6500.  They are the most versatile out there and I believe they do make a model with the standard Bushnell target turrets.  They're high on my list.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 04:16:44 PM »
If you can spend a little more than $1,000 then I would strongly recommend the NightForce NXS - Amazing scope.  Just don't plan carrying it around hiking or anything like that because they are very heavy (NightForce's tubes are 2x thicker than the norm), but they hold up extremely well.  From what I understand, Nightforce pretty much dominates the 1,000 yard matches.

Zachary

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 05:29:13 PM »
I'd like to spend a whole lot less than $1000, but I know that quality costs, so...I'll save and get something I'll be happy with for a long time.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 07:34:59 PM »
I honestly believe you would be well served with a VX-III LR scope. They are very repeatable and excellent glass. If you can swing the NF or the MK-4 then more power too ya, but if not then the VX-III LR, Sightron S-III, or Bushnell 6500. I have heard excellent reports on all and many from the new Sightrons. Check out www.6mmbr.com in the archives for more...

-Aaron

Offline ba_50

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 03:50:35 AM »
For $300 you can get a  10, 16, or 20X Super Sniper scope. Well worth the money. They don't require a 20MOA rail either.They are coming out with a HD lense sometime. I got a 10X model  last year. They use them on 50's too.

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 11:43:18 AM »
Sightron SIII pretty much hands down for under $1K.  You can either go with a more conventional 3.5-10 with either a mildot or illuminated dot and 120MOA of internal elevation.  Or you can go with a 6-24 power with the mildot and 100MOA of internal adjustement.  The only downside that I can see with the Sightrons are that the mildot scopes range at the highest magnification, and 24x can have some bad mirage during summer days.

I own a Sightron SIII 8-32x56mm with the dot reticle.  I also own a Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50mm with TMR reticle.  I will tell you that just today I had the scopes together and can say that the Sightron has an extremely slight advantage in optical quality for contrast and brightness.  I know that there were a whole bunch of posts of Sightron Vs. Leupold where everyone pitched in their .02 about which was clearer/brighter etc.  I personally can't tell that there is much difference between the two.  However, my Leupold has turrets that are about as mushy as my Super Sniper was.  I'm sure I'll take it apart here in a while and see if I can't mess with the o-ring, it's just that the rifle is shooting so well that it is on that I don't want to mess with it at the moment.  The Sightron's adjustments are much more tactile and audible than the Leupold's.  So far everything tracks perfectly.  Sightron also has a lifetime warranty.

I also owned a Burris 3-12x50mm XTR and that was a pretty nice scope as well, you can find them for under a grand.  However, I'd rather own a Sightron, and you can find those cheaper in the same magnification range.  I'm also not a fan of Burris' bullet drop compensating reticles as everyone's rifle shoots different.  I'd rather develop my own come-ups for range and just use that. 

I've broken two Bushnells, although both were Banners.  The higher end Bushnell scopes do have some great glass, but their construction and recent reports of poor C.S. on the 'net has me skeptical of their product.  I'll pass on any Bushys in future builds although a 2.5-16 scope is about as ideal as it gets for hunting big game over open country.

You can get a lot for under $1K but the better hunting/tactical long range scopes are going to run more than that.  Hope this helps, and good luck.

Offline pdog06

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 05:27:56 PM »
Sightron SIII 6-24 hands down.    I'd say get an 8-32, but since you wanna use it for deer also you may need the 6x for closer shots.

If you go onto 6mmbr.com and read the review on it you'll see that it actually held it's own with a Nightforce in a bunch of tests, and even surpassed it in some too. The NF is a heck of a scope, but it's not 2x as good as the SIII even though it is 2x the price of it.

If ya wanna spend even less give a look at the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50. I have one and really like it. It has 68moa of elevation adjustment too. With a 0moa base I still have 42moa of elev. adj. left, which is plenty to get out to 1000yds.

I actually have the Vortex on my .260 I just finished building tonight, and I'm gonna use it the same way you are talking about(targets, LR groundhog/prarie dog gun, and also deer/bear rifle).

Offline Zachary

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 05:44:16 PM »
Keeping in mind that you will be shooting a .260, although you do get what you pay for (generally speaking with optics) you really don't need a Nightforce.  There are good Target scopes such in the Nikon and Bushnell (elite line) that should be noticeably less than the $1,000 mark.  Leupold's pricing should fall between them and the Nightforce.

Zachary

Offline jdickey

• Pro Staff Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 11:33:26 AM »
Put my vote in for the Sightron also....excellent scope! ! ! !  ;D
The only easy day...was yesterday!

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »
Anyone know anything about Hawke?  They are a UK company and snipercentral gave them a positive review.  I like their 4-16.  I would also like a scope that the mil-dots are accurate at 10x because of the ease in ranging for deer and hogs.  Thanks for the info on the Sightron, I'll certainly check them out.

Offline sgtt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 04:53:58 AM »
I like fixed power scopes.  I have two Bushnell 3200 10X.  Might be a bit high for hunting but, they are great for anything 100 yds +.  They can be had for under $200
"Freedom, for some, is problematic.  It does not grant emancipation from responsibility."

Offline diggler1833

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 05:22:54 AM »
Haven't heard anything about Hawke.  Nobody that I know uses them, but that doesn't mean that they don't make a decent optic.

If you really want to use mildots for ranging, then I'd suggest a FFP scope instead of a SFP, that way you can range at any power.  I'd also then look at the Falcon Menace line 4-14x44FFP with thier ML16 reticle.  Not only do you get more precise measurements, but you'd also get the cheapest mil/mil, side focus, FFP scope out there that has some quality put into it.  Keep in mind a Nightforce/USO/S&B it is not, but it would serve you well for under $400.

The Bushnell 3200 10x is a great scope for the money as well, just like mentioned above.  I just wouldn't include it in a "best of" discussion unless it were for price for performance.

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 02:42:16 PM »
I might like a FFP, but a SFP that is accurate at 10x allows you to simply turn the power ring until the object of known size covers what it is supposed to in the reticle (for a pig it's 1mil, for a man it's 2mils).  Then look at the power setting, multiply x100 and that's your range in yds.  For a 4-16 then you simply have to do the math for objects closer than 400yds.  For me, that's as simple as it gets.  That's the system I'd like to use, but I can learn another.  This one just makes sense and allows for quick, accurate ranging.

Offline diggler1833

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 04:13:11 PM »
That's a new way of ranging for me, glad to hear that it is working for you.  Here is what I use, hopefully the link works for you.

http://www.mil-dot.com/Content%20Images/The_Derivation_of_the_Range_Estimation_Equations.pdf

Offline jmayton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 07:31:25 PM »
diggler, that is a lot of math!  I suppose I need to learn it no matter what, but the 10x trick takes all that math and makes it a mechanical measurement through the scope.  The downside is the accuracy is directly related to the scope's power ring.  If it's off, the range is off and so is the shot.  I'm not planning on using this rifle for competition or engaging any target that requires absolute precision.  If I miss, it just runs away.  I want something that is flexible yet simple to use.  It'd be great to have a rangefinder with me but that isn't always practical. 

Thanks for the info though.