Author Topic: Im done till I get more primers  (Read 654 times)

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Im done till I get more primers
« on: May 27, 2009, 07:52:22 AM »
Went out back & got my new to me rem model 7  7mm-08 dialed in . This is the second time shooting this, Im shooting 139 hornady SSTs with win748 & the same with IMR 4064. This is on my property & I havent built a bench yet. Was shooting from 70 yards using the hood of my truck. as a rest. Last time I shot this I had 2-3 inch groups. Since then I put a pressure point under the barrel at the tip of the forearm. Win 748 was getting megroups at 1.25 . 4064 groups were right under an inch. Now Im hoping for better, but Im out of primers. Well Ive got 50 left >:( Gonna svethese for hunting season. So Im stuck till I get more primers. I can live with the 1 inch group at 70 yards for now. I did learn something. If Im shooting for groups this barrel has got to cool for 2-3 min between shots
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Im done till I get more primers
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:26:07 AM »
I've got lots of stuff but this whole situation has defused alot of my interest and trips to the range

I'll do some ML shooting and then with my son to tune up his "new" 788 in 6mm

I damn sure won't ever buy any new guns.

I will only spend money on components from now on.
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 09:39:30 AM »
oh yeah and those primer pricejackers can (not appropriate for graybeardoutdoors.com)
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 09:51:36 AM »
Generally with my Model Sevens and that's been a BUNCH of them I can shoot three shot groups with no waiting other than the time it takes to get the cross hair realigned and not have it affect group size. I can't however just keep on doing it as that little thin barrel do get hot after a second group too hot to hot your hand on for sure and I really don't like to get my barrels that hot in a less than life or death situation.

My best accuracy with the Model Sevens in 7-08 came with Win 760 powder but beware it is HIGHLY temperature sensitive and a load seemingly OK in cool weather will freeze up the bolt on a hot summer day using this powder at near max loads.

Factory Hornady Light Mag loads are the most accurate load I've ever fired from ALL the various Model Seven 7-08s we've owned.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline GameHauler

• Trade Count: (49)
  • A Real Regular
  • Thank you Every One for Positive Feedback
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 01:16:16 PM »
How did you add the pressure point?
I was a little worried when I switched to a Lam. stock
and bedded it without a pressure point.
It shots about 1 to 1-1/2" groups at 100yds
but like you I think it can be better.
Did you use some sort off temporary point so it could be adjusted?
If so what did you use?
Mike

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 01:53:30 PM »
Game hualer what I did was. I used duct tape. I cut out a half inch circle, then put it in the forend. I then put the rifle together. I could just barely slide a dollar in between thestock & barrel. Before I could slip a dollar thru with no resistance. I took the rifle apart & put another half inch circle on top of the first one. I figure the duct tape to be temporary. But it would give me an idea wether it would work or not. Ive read a few good Ideas on here on how to do it. Like weather stripping. Duct tape was what I had on hand. I ll need 50 large rifle primers for that information ;D ;D

Offline GameHauler

• Trade Count: (49)
  • A Real Regular
  • Thank you Every One for Positive Feedback
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
DUDE :-\
I'm down to just over 200 Federals myself.
But did pick up some Rems and Wins when I found them.

Thanks for the feedback.
If you really get that baby driving tacks let me know.
It may be worth some primers ;)
Mike

Offline Masterblaster1

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 04:51:40 AM »
Be careful with those 139 grain sst's I shot them out of my .280 Rem one hunting season. The bullet exploded on a 120 lb doe. All that exited was a small piece of lead. Didn't hit any heavy bone just  ribs. That was the first and last time i'll ever use any plastic tip bullet on big game.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 05:52:23 AM »
Masterblaster. Im questioning my choice on the SSTs ???. Im shooting into a sand pile & wasnt getting very much pentitration. 6 inches into the sand. So I shot thru a 6x6 that I had. Nice big hole & still 5 inches of pentitration. I know sand is a pretty tuff to shoot thru. The bullet expanded to the size of a quarter. but held together. Those were the only bullets I could find. How fast were you pushing them out of the 280. Im thinking Im getting 2600fps or so out of my 18 inch barrel

Offline Masterblaster1

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 06:01:45 AM »
You might be ok at only 2600 FPS, burnt. Depending on how big your average deer are and what shots you take is how I would decide. Personally I am not a very picky shot, the only shot I refrain from is directly facing away. However the doe I was referring to was broadside at about 35 yards. I aimed behind the shoulder. After processing it was clear that the bullet exploded because the near side hide of the deer was completely disconnected from the ribcage and the entrance wound was enormous. I found bits and pieces of copper and lead in the lungs and ribcage. The exit hole was about .22 size. If there hadn't been snow I may not have recovered the deer since it did not leave much blood trail. I know if I was to do it over again with my Hornady Interlock load there would have been no issue. The only thing I can say is if most of your shots are under 50 yards I would be hesitant to use an sst. The velocity out of my .280 was just a tick under 3000 fps.