Author Topic: bad leading in my barrel  (Read 967 times)

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
bad leading in my barrel
« on: September 13, 2003, 09:34:28 AM »
I have an encore muzzleloader, and tried to use 360 gr. cast bullets in them from a Lee mould. It shoots good for one or two rounds and then accuracy goes bad from lead fouling.  Is there anything I can do to keep the leading down?

Offline JRWHITETAIL

• Trade Count: (0)
Leading
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2003, 10:26:33 AM »
Ihookem, You need to try another lube! Your boolets are being flame cut. What are you useing for lube?
Praise GOD, and pass the ammo!

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
bad leading in my barrel
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2003, 12:28:23 PM »
Those barrels are mainly designed to be used with plastic sabots with pistol bullets, aren't they?
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup

Offline ihookem

• A Real Regular
bad leading in my barrel
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2003, 02:00:35 PM »
I'm using Lee alox, I have heard good and bad things about it. Any other suggestions for brands of alox? I really want to try somthing that will work, because I enjoy casting and it is so cheap when you get all the lead you want.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
bad leading in my barrel
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2003, 11:59:36 PM »
what are you using for lube if you are shooting black powder you need a lube specifically for black powder. I would guess if your using standard lube alot of the fouling you are getting isnt leading at all. Also theres a good chance that if you are using commercail bullets the alloys to hard for black powder shooting.
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
bad leading in my barrel
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2003, 12:05:04 AM »
also you may want to slug your barrel and see what the proper size for that gun is. You may be sizing to small and getting some flame cutting.
blue lives matter

Offline jh45gun

bad leading in my barrel
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 09:34:35 PM »
Ihookem, your problem is the lee liq alox now do not get me wrong that is a great product and I use it for all my smokeless needs but for black powder you need a BP lube for that application. I use beeswax and bore butter mixed half and half!!  That works well for me and other lubes and or recipes are around on the web. Lee does not reccomend useing liquid alox for black powder loads as it is a petrolium based product and that does not mix well with black powder or bp substitutes. Mixed it makes a hard to get out tar like substance in the barrel and probably part of your leading problem. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
bad leading in my barrel
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2003, 11:02:44 AM »
Ditto on jh45gun!

Offline ihookem

• A Real Regular
bad leading in my barrel
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2003, 03:16:40 PM »
Thanks Jh 45 gun I didn't know alox shouldn't be used in bp guns, this info should really help.

Offline Johm D M

bad leading in my barrel
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2003, 05:38:30 PM »
With round balls and a patch you can use spit, crisco, vaseline, or almost any soft waxy or greasy substance. Experment with several and see what works best in your gun not in your buddies or my guns, good shooting, Gianni.

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
bad leading in my barrel
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2003, 06:00:35 PM »
Yup, you got some good advice there, fer sure. I use SPG for my long range stuff, 38-55 and 45-70, but I do use the Lee liguid alox for my CAS match rifle and pistols and never lead or have a problem, because in those guns I shoot with American Pioneer/Cleanshot and it makes it's own lube, in fact they actually recommend no lube at all.
Now, for long range I generally use Goex and the SPG lube, but I am experimenting with the 777 powder and getting good results so far with just the liguid alox. The jury is still out of that though.
 :grin:
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA