Author Topic: HAVE YOUR CARRY HABITS CHANGED  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Leatherstocking

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: HAVE YOUR CARRY HABITS CHANGED
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2009, 02:55:32 PM »
My thoughts exactly woodchuck. As for the nice weather carry, try a Ruger LCP. Man that gun is sweet and petite.
NRA Life Member
New York State Conservation Council Member

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold (1949)

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 03:36:25 AM »
My thoughts also, Leatherstocking.  Carry 'something' all the time.  I have carried daily for 30 years and could count on one hand the days I did not carry up until my accident last year.  (I was stuck by a drunk driver as I walked across the street)  Now that I am better recovered, I am carrying daily again.  I am having to rethink my guns though.  I started out carrying a compact .45 / or lightwt .38 snub.  Still do but now I cannot carry the .45 for all day.  (the truck hit me right where I carry IWB, and yes, I had my gun on at the time)  But I can the .38, but I still get sore by the end of the day as the cylinder presses right where the damage was.  Thinking real hard about a Kel-tec PF9 for the slightly flatter profile and light wt.  It's gotten so much a part of me around here that my wife asks if I don't love her if she see's me without my gun.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 04:29:08 AM »
It may just be that the word is coming to life for my son. He would hardly talk about a gun with me.
yesterday he sent me an e-mail detailing how the wife of a friend was at a mall in Clear Lake when a car pulled up behind her, as she was parking, and well dressed young woman of about 20 years jumped from her car with a night club.
She rushed the wife demanding her purse and swung the night club. Luckily the club was deflected and she was able to knock the other woman off balance with her purse and make a retreat.
The young woman then went into her car to scavange but was called off by another woman driving the car she got out of.
Maybe now he will understand.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jeep08ham

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 05:25:44 PM »
Since we have had the rash of shootings at churches, colleges, etc.  I asked our deacons and pastor about our church security.  They had not thought much about it but now we have CCW people in the congregation that carry every Sunday.  May sound a little paranoid but my take on this is being prepared.  Kind of like Salvation. Best be prepared because we never know when our lives will end.

I carry two different guns, depending on what I am wearing that day.  One is a XD 9 Subcompact in a Crossbreed holster, IWB.

Second for lighter clothes and can even be carried in the pocket is a Kel Tec PF9.  Usually I carry it IWB in a Crossbreed holster.   These have proved to be very comfortable too.  This KT has proved to be a very dependable and reliable shooter for me.   I did some Fluff and Buff plus lubed, oiled and started shooting.  Have over 600 rounds without a hickup.   I do not carry +P in the KT but a good HP.  XD gets Hydrashocks!

Hope I never have to use it but have had one experience with a dog that came at me when getting the mail.  Live in the country and dog decided I looked like a steak to him.   Dog is No More!

Offline 44 Man

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2009, 12:48:38 AM »
Ok, here is the latest change I have made.  As I mentioned earlier, I cannot carry my .45 all day anymore and even the .38 is uncomfortable.  I have a friend that wanted to make a trade and I have let the .45 Defender go and in it's place I received two guns.  One of them is a little Colt Gov't .380.  I have been very surprised by this little gun.  The Gov't is very flat and sits inside my pants just perfect.  No cylinder buldge to hurt the old injury and not much weight, although it is all steel and much heavier than the new poly framed guns.  I'm carrying this now while I off the other gun to buy a Kel-tec PF9.  I was going to off this one also, but it is such a nice little gun I may just have to keep it!  I have a second mag coming now from Gunbroker, I'll need one more eventually.  44 Man

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2009, 01:28:40 AM »
Hey 44,

Sorry about your accident.  Please make a speedy recovery!

I also have a colt 380, a mustang pocket lite....i now use in place of my ppks.  They are kool little guns, though underpowered but better then nothing.  I flip around alot between a 3913, SW m-6O 3"/357 and a bunch of larger guns, HP 9 or 40 or LW commander.  Just depends where I am and what's going on.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline 44 Man

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2009, 07:02:04 AM »
I agree with you drdougrx, a .380 is minimal at best, that's why I am going for the PF9 as soon as I can.  But it did illistrate to me that I can carry a small, flat, firearm and that solves my carry problem.  And now that is established, I can go ahead and invest in a small, light 9mm and know that I am not just wasting money on another project that may not work as hoped.  I just wish that the Kahr's were a little less pricey, but I'm sure the Kel tec will work just fine.  In the meantime it's better than going unarmed and there are some serious loads available from Buffalo Bore.  380 ammo seems to have dried up lately and any loads are hard to find.  44 Man

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2009, 09:58:44 AM »
I have a Kahr CW9 and a P45.  The CW9 is a really nice shooting little gun and is the second least expensive handgun that I own (only my .22LR target pistol was cheaper).  It's had a couple hundred rounds through it at this point without the slightest hiccup and I would trust my life to it.  One of the best firearm investments that I've made at $399.

Offline dsm54

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 12:12:34 PM »
well I hope the sight of mine scares the bad guy off because I Cant find 380 acp ammo anywhere for the new Ruger LCP I just bought.

Offline Ahshucks

• Accountant:  Serving clients that profit from our services!
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 03:48:53 PM »
After trading in all my pistols for a rifle, I felt the need to have one around the house since we were robbed a couple years ago.  How much more threat can we expect when all the unemployment pay runs out?  I purchased a Bersa Thunder 380 plus for the extra capacity and the larger grip fit me better.  I felt the 380 would be easier for my daughter and wife to handle, cheaper to reload, and the 380 is rated as a stopper on 71% of it's first shot.  Of course with the "plus" I have twice as many rounds available if needed.  Still waiting for my Buffalo Bore in 95s and 100s to come in ...
Banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered - - Thomas Jefferson 1802

Offline Jake McCracken

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2009, 12:22:23 PM »
If carrying everywhere you go constitutes paranoia. Then I must need serious help. Most days, with the exception of Boy Scout functions and Work, I'm known to have my 9mm and my 1911 on me (with plenty of spare ammo). Times have changed. Remember the time the front door stayed unlocked all the time? Now it's always locked, and alarmed at night and when we're not home!
Dignified? I signed up for brave and courageous, not dignified!

Offline C. Davis

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2009, 08:34:07 PM »
I have a Kahr CW9 and a P45.  The CW9 is a really nice shooting little gun and is the second least expensive handgun that I own (only my .22LR target pistol was cheaper).  It's had a couple hundred rounds through it at this point without the slightest hiccup and I would trust my life to it.  One of the best firearm investments that I've made at $399.

I lead music at our church, and I carry the Kahr CW9 deep concealed under my left armpit in front of a crowd of about 50. I have better than 500 rounds through it, (not at church) ;D and I have full trust in it. It is really easy to carry. No one has a clue I carry at church. I don't think many in our congregation would have a problem with it, but I think it is a good secret to keep.

I carry everywhere except work, and places properly signed. I got to thinking about scenarios where something terrible could happen, and churches and restaurants seem to me to be a pretty obvious target for a nut to attack. I have a cousin in another state who gets all freaked out about guns. I told her that if we were out in a public place, and one of the nuts chooses our restaurant, she would be very grateful for my gun. She just about fainted and said, "You carry?!!!

C. Davis

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2009, 03:42:57 AM »
This little burge of Deer Park, Texas is a good example of my mindset changes.
I coffee with a group of simular aged folks every afternoon at 3PM.
We had to change our meeting place because the Shipley's Do-Nut shop started closing in the afternoons at 2PM.
We now coffee at a McDonalds. It is just up the street but is very busy all day.
I went into Mc's yesterday and just about half way in i realize I had left the Walther in the truck.
For just a moment, I said, "It'll be OK, this one time." I then turned around and went back for the weapon.
Not too long ago I would have not even thought about it, sometimes i would and most often, not.
Burgs are not as they were, even, just a couple of years ago.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2009, 11:27:26 AM »
I don't have a CCW or a CCP but i do have a CRKT-m16 knife and it rides everywere i go. If i had a gun it would ride in my pocket to.  I can't tell you the number of times just haveing "a pocket knife" has change people minds on what they were trying to do. My mom has a knife to and she told me when she used to work at night it made her feel safe with it on her and It did make 2 guys that were messing with her(just talking) to back down.

crime can happen anywere and at anytime. I think of CC as if it is rainning would you not put something on to protect yourself from the rain and cold?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2009, 09:11:45 AM »
the subject should not be when but if you carry . To carry a weapon is a statement that you will not allow yourself to be a victom . Before you tote a gun you should decide if nessary would you use it .
If you ansewer yes to not being a victom and yes to being able to use it then your habit is set . you would carry at all times unless not allowed to by law . You would arrange your trips, clothes and lifestyle to allow you to carry . It would become part of your "stuff" like your wallet, keys etc.
If you need proof then ask yourself if it is ok to die in one place but not another , cause "stuff" happens everywhere .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2009, 10:59:12 AM »
 if i head to the bathroom ,the middle of the night ,ive got something on me even then.. it ashamed to have be that careful..but id rather have it 10 000 times an not need it..you know the rest. slim

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2009, 11:42:53 AM »
Jamaldog
This is not a suggestion----but---I carried 30 years without a permit.
Course, this is texas.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2009, 11:48:21 AM »
William don't ya'll have some law with regard to how many counties you pass thru. or such as to when you can carry with out a permit ?

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2009, 04:04:29 PM »
SHOOTALL since Sept, 2007 when the Texas castle doctrine was strengthened we can carry concealed without a permit in our vehicle (and between the vehicle and a legal destination such as our residence).  We can also defend the vehicle with deadly force without the obligation to retreat.

All of that "travel clause" stuff we used to have was almost meaningless.  Any LEO could still arrest you and then you would have to fight it.  The two county line thing was just a rule of thumb and never was written into any law.  When you arrived at your destination (hotel or whatnot) you were no longer considered travelling and by law had to secure your weapon.  I'm glad the law is less ambiguous now. 

Now we need legislation to pass that will allow a weapon in a locked vehicle in our employer's parking lot.  Many folks have to leave their legally carried arm at home to keep from getting in trouble at work.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2009, 07:58:11 AM »
Va. has/had a saddle bag law that is about the same .

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2009, 04:02:23 PM »
 ;)This is interesting reading. I have had a permit for maybe 10 years. Since Wy. is an open carry state I usually carried anyway, but for several reasons I got the permit. Now, I usually pack a S $ W modle 60, it is light and easily carried. At other times I have a short .44, usually when I am in the hills or in a big town in the winter. Have several autos that at times I have with me, For me the real eye opener was one of my pals works at the state pen in Rawlins. I saw him in Casper he said every time he is there he sees felons  on parole in the city. They often follow his vehicle, once they attacked a one of the guards when he left the hospital in Casper. Thinking Wy. was a safe place sure changed that day. Plus the trash that runs I 80 just north of here is scary. When I travel in my truck, I ALWAYS  carry a couple pistols and at least one rifle. Some times more. My pal has started carrying his mini 14 plus other guns when he drives back and forth to NE Wy. to work. To day when he got home he had the mimi, a 7mm, 243 and 2 pistols Times have changed. I don't think we have a lot of crime here because everyone has guns of some type. 8) But nowhere is safe today. :-\

felon

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2009, 05:09:32 AM »
YEARS ago, I remember the flintlock was the new rage, I spoke to our county sheriff about carrying.
He said he had more on his plate than checking for folks who might be carrying. He figgered most did anyway.
The old, across two counties, he said, was garbage, they had too prove you are lying when you tell them you were traveling.
Based on this conversation, viewing the number of weapons in glove compartments, I decided I would also.
Then i got a small .38 and would actually carry it when out at night---everywhere, read anything you want into, everywhere.
Weapons changed and I fell in with a Walther .380.
I never had a problem, even when stopped for speeding, or wrecks---had several of those  >:(---. At any rate I have never had a problem. I was asked ONCE if I had a weapon and I said yes. No other questions, no search. I even had the .38 stolen from the truck during a breakin. I reported it along with serial #'s. No questions or charges, and this was before there was a CCW law.
Hummmmm.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2009, 05:32:03 AM »
 ive carried for over 30 yrs .. what i use to carry an what i carry now has changed.. a 25 while i filled out a exstra lg shirt..i wasn t a likely mugger target.. now it a medium shirt an i no longer carry in pocket ..its 38 in pant holster ..button up shirt with side slit ,as some are made.. it makes it much less obviouse when your hand is slipping up to the gun.. shirt don t even move..
 it may change again ,if i find a better way..slim
 leather ,,kids change everything.. gun goes back in the pocket all my 22 semis that my wife can lay her hands on in a second or two get put up an of course the shot gun all get locked up..anything thats loaded..
 but my kids call before coming an the house is locked so even they can t come bargeing in... as a kid i had access to a 12 ga an 22 by the time i was six or seven .. but id been trained the gun points at the ground ,period.. i didn t make the mistake of letting my daddy see me do different..slim

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2009, 07:55:44 AM »
Williamlayton , good point if you don't act like a criminal you won't be looked on as one .