Author Topic: shooting *high* - rear sight issue? - or reload issue  (Read 301 times)

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
shooting *high* - rear sight issue? - or reload issue
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:47:53 AM »
My 110 gr Speers and 43gr of H4350 reduced load 30-06's are hitting low high at 100 yards, so much so that I have the rear site slid all the way back and still can't properly "post" the target.

I'm pretty sure that this is a sight issue (as opposed to my wimpy - yet easy to shoot reloads - because even bore sighting I had to slide the sight back?

Don't really want to scope it - being a truck gun/loaner and all.

Has this happened to someone else?

I'd hate to put a taller front sight on it.  It's almost an axe head as it is.

Are there acceptable lower profile rear sights? Or do I need to pull out the dreaded drawing board.

Offline Manitobahunter

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: shooting low - rear sight issue? - or reload issue
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 12:57:59 AM »
If you are shooting low, you have to move your rear sight up.  Moving the rear sight up raises the muzzle so it will shoot higher on the target.  If you change the front sight, you have to go to a lower sight.  Hope this helps to put you on target.

Cliff
Shoot straight

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 01:04:02 AM »
Always move the rear sight in the direction that you want the bullet to travel. If you are shooting low, you need to raise the rear sight. Shooting high, drop the rear sight. Same goes with windage.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 05:14:18 AM »
I've shot 110 gr out of my '06 and I don't think you will get that great of a drop I'd have to dig around but I know it was not a hot load and the diferance was less than 2" out to 200 kind of a fun round but not real cost effective compared to doing the same thing on varmints with a 223 or a Hornet but still fun to play with. kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 06:48:00 AM »
My alzheimers acting up again gentlemen.

I am shooting high, not low.  :-\  Can't lower the sight enough to get it in OK.

Need more coffee and I shouldn't start threads before 7am

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 07:06:21 AM »
sounds like you need a taller front sight

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 07:17:08 AM »
Nc,

In my past experiences with loading up different powders for the AR i noticed that the 2700-2800 FPS 75 gr bullet powder combo always hit higher up then a 3100+ 55 gr combo ... Might be how fast the bullet is leaving out the barrel with less time for pressures to build , not sure but i have noted this on more then one occasion...

But if the trouble persists then the boys are right you'll need to mess with the front sight , This shooting too high thing pleagued the mosin nagants my cousin and bro-in-law had bought years ago..

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Chas.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: shooting *high* - rear sight issue? - or reload issue
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 07:57:14 AM »
Sometimes with "wimpy" loads, the barrel flip will get you.  On firing, the barrel will start up before the bullet clears the muzzle, causing it to shoot high.  I wouldn't expect that to happen with an '06, but.....