Author Topic: Small studded shells for Afghan steel rifled m.l.  (Read 968 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Small studded shells for Afghan steel rifled m.l.
« on: May 24, 2009, 09:31:37 AM »
We sold one of the guns of this cal.   The person who got it wanted to shoot it, so he had a mold made, then offered to sell us some to use in the guns we have left.  They weren't cheap but he took some items in partial trade.  They are zinc, Dia 2.235 in.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Small studded shells for Afghan steel rifled m.l.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:42:59 AM »
Good looking projos. Is that a trench art ashtray in the background? What's the inscription? 75MM?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:26:10 AM »
Good eye, made from m5a1 75 pack how. case dtd '41.  i collect trench art and any with Islamic writing on it is scarce.  Was happy to find this little gem.  There are more treasures I found at that venue and photographed but most are modern and would have to think up xcuse to post here-some are tools to use on cannons, maybe that would work, dunno, hate to irritate the mods tho.  These pix only posted because you seem interested in trench art.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 03:59:08 PM »
If your posts are about pre 1899 cannons and mortar you can include other discussion.  But topic is pre 1899 C&M

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 07:26:29 PM »
This is about pre-1899 arty as the reason we got this bench vise was to work on such pieces.  The vise is of course one of the basic and important tools for cannon work.  We made a mistake years back when we bought a big Chinese vise.  It didn't last long.  The most important part of a vise is the acme screw and the thrust bearings that support it. 

On Chinese vises you get at HF and other places, it seems the screw and bearings are weak.  We broke ours by over-torquing the vise handle.  Last year at the mil. vehicle rally we got a larger vise, 8" I think, made by Parker in CT (the shotgun folks.)  It is wonderful, no one will break it easily.  This year we got the 8" made in USA vise shown at same event.  Brand is marked on other side, cannot recall, but I could tell it was a quality item, weighs maybe 90 lbs., has serial no., etc.  The Chinese vises may have wide jaws such as 8" but in our line of work the throat (how far the jaws will open) is very important, and most Chinese vises have little throat depth.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 05:27:55 AM »
Thankyou for the pics of the cannon shell. I appreciate old cannon shells that has been turned into objects of art, also. I have one that is almost identical to yours. Different inscription.
How much does one of those zinc projos weigh?
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 05:39:43 AM »
How much does one of those zinc projos weigh?

I think the mold owner said 3 lbs or a bit more, will check when I get near a decent scale.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 09:59:57 PM »
"The vise is of course one of the basic and important tools for cannon work."

This is mine, a Columbian my Dad bought used in the 50's. He was big on sporterizing Mauser and Springfield milsurps; it's had many a gun part (and a lot of my cannon parts) in it over the past 5 decades. I made new jaws for it about 10 years ago. I imagine it will still be working fine when my Son gets it...

I've got a couple of trench art pieces brought back by my Grandfather after WWI...

And speaking of Afghani stuff...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 11:18:54 PM »
That pistol is a true piece of folk art, if I had it it'd probably get framed and hung on the wall.

Offline cannonmn

The friend who owns the small-bore Afghan rifled steel gun (and the mold) told me he uses 6 oz. of Cannon grade black powder for short-range shooting (100 yds or so) and up to 12 oz. powder when shooting at the 600 yard range.

You can watch this video where he's shooting both a Broadwell breechloader and the small-bore steel Afghan rifled muzzle-loader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eimrw863Y5c

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 03:38:31 PM »
6 oz. in 56 mm seems like lot powder....showed the wife the video, she says the cannon is cute and I can't haven"t one.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 07:36:02 PM »
she says the cannon is cute and I can't haven"t one.

:(

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 02:01:10 AM »
That pistol is a true piece of folk art, if I had it it'd probably get framed and hung on the wall.

Cannonmn,

You've probably seen this, but others maybe not. Interesting read...

http://www.armscollectors.com/darra/darra.htm
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 04:02:52 AM »
Thanks, coincidentally I was at a local gun club meeting last night where a guy did a "show and tell" on a long-lever Martini he bought online somewhere.  He couldn't quite figure out the marking combination, 1908, VR, etc. 

I had no reason to ruin his day so I kept quiet.

Offline Double D

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 02:09:12 PM »
Have him post pictures of the long lever with 1908 date at www.martiniforum.org ...I have never seen a countefeit Mk IV long lever