Author Topic: Got a new pistol - '58 Remington "Navy" .36 - she's a "Beaut"!  (Read 538 times)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
After months of pondering the purchase of a new C & B revolver, I finally bit the bullet today and got one.  I had originally wanted a .31 pocket model - either one of the steel frame Remingtons or a '49 Colt - but alas - things sometimes change!  I wanted to be able to actually see and look at what I was buying so a trip was made to Cabela's.  In order of preference, I was first lookiing for the Remington pocket model, then the Colt '49 and lastly, possibly a Remington "Navy".  Luckily, they had all three in stock.  I looked at the Remington pocket - it was a beautiful piece!  However, I didn't realize just how small it was.  I've read a number of posts from you fellas that have 'em and like them and I must admit, that I will probably at some point get one - they sure are pretty.  I then looked at the '49 Colt Pocket - it was an Uberti.  The quality was there for the most part but I was quite disappointed in the loading lever on the particular pistol I looked at.  It was quite sloppy (a lot of side ways movement) and when I cocked the pistol, it appeared to "catch" (as though there were some interference on the internal parts) before the cylinder indexed all the way - it almost felt like all of the internal parts were "burred".  As far as the loading lever, I have a hard time understanding how with today's methods of machining, the slot in the barrel frame could be so much oversize (much wider than the thickness of the loading lever that pivots in the slot).  I also felt, that for the price of $299, the pistol should work smoothly and crisply from the get-go.  Now I realize that each pistol is different and that this one was probably one of the "flukes" (as far as Uberti goes as they have such a good reputation) - but I would have been embarassed to have it on the shelf to show a customer.  Unfortunately, the sales clerk didn't know a whole lot about BP pistols.  A lot of you have 'em and love 'em - I still want one but will keep looking until I find one that is better as far as fit and function.  I looked at a "Wells Fargo" at another gun shop the other day - an Uberti - and while the fit and finish were nice (obviously I couldn't inspect the loading lever as they don't hae one), that one as well had cylinder indexing issues.  The Ubertis that I have had an opportunity to look at besides the '49 pocket model that I looked at today and the Wells Fargo I looked at last week have all seemed to be "top notch".  I just chalk these two up to the fact that in any batch of pistols made, there will be some that are top notch and some that are "lemons" - the same as cars or anything else.  It's just a good reminder to be able to look at and handle a pistol before you buy it to make sure it functions well and is finished well rather than buying "sight unseen" unless the seller has a "return policy".

I then looked at my third choice - the '58 Remington Navy (Cabela's calls it a "Police" on thier web page) and I feell in love!  It is a Pietta and absolutely beautiful!  I looked it over carefully and could not really find anything that could be found fault with.  The metal to metal fit of the various parts looks like they grew together . . . no machining marks . . . . crisp lettering and stamps . . . . a very rich deep dark bluing job . . . . . the grips fit the frame and for a production piece, are attractive . . . . . I wasn't too concerned with the grips as I will be replacing them with a set of fake "ivory" grips.  Most importantly, the action is crisp and smooth and feels like a pistol that has already been "tuned" up . . . . very comfortable trigger pull . . . . . cocks easily with one hand . . . . .loading lever and cylinder pin work smoothly and are fitted well and the cylinder is tight and indexes perfectly.  Overall, it is very impressive and speaks "quality". 

I decided that I wanted to go with the Remington "Navy" for several reasons.  First, I've never shot a Remington and I like the stronger frame, look and feel and I wanted to try one.  Second, I have had two Colt '60 Army revolvers at one time in the past . . . enjoyed shooting them but I like the .36 caliber better.  I already have a '51 Colt Navy and an older Navy Arms "Reb" (resembles a Griswold & Gunnison) revolver in .36 with a shorter round barrel and I enjoy shooting them both.  I have a .375 mold so I am all set as far as round balls go.  The Remington "Navy" seemed like the next one that I should add to my collection.  I like the idea of the ease in changing cylinders as compared to the Colts and although they didn't have any spare cylinders in stock, I'll probably order a couple to have loaded cylinders ahead when plinking and target shooting.

The best thing of all, is that in the long run, I only really have $20.00 invested.  A year ago, I bought a raffle ticket for a sportsman's raffle for $20.00.  I ended up winning a rifle (one of those new fangled "cartridge" guns - I really don't think that they will ever "catch on" - smile).  I really prefer muzzle-loaders and BP pistols so I had tried to sell it several times and never had any takers.  I took it with me, visited the "Gun Library" at Cabela's prior to looking at the BP pistols and was able to work out a deal that benefited both them and me.  As a result, I got my new Remington Navy, a Remington powder flask and a number of other small items for the pistol and still walked out with a couple of dollars in my pocket from the deal.  It was win/win for both of us.  Not a bad deal for the original $20.00 price of the raffle ticket!

Hopefully, I'll have some time this weekend to run a few balls through the new pistol and see how she shoots.  As with anything new, I know it will take some practice to get used to it but hopefully I can find where it shoots so I can get rid of some of the pesky varmits around here . . . woodchucks, 'coons and 'possums . . . . which seem to multiply everytime a person turns around here in Michigan.  Next winter when we go to Arizona, I'll put together a nice set of "leathers" for it (I make custom made holsters, cap boxes, etc. during the winter to keep busy).  I figure that I'll start out working up a load for it with about 18 grains of 3F Goex with a .375 ball over a felt wad, topped off with Crisco.  If any of you out there have one of these Remington Navy revolvers and have any hits for loads, etc. - I'd appreciate hearing from you on what works best for you.

I'm sorry to have rambled on about the new gun . . . . just wanted to "pass on" my thoughts on the pistol and the quality, etc.  If this is a typical example of Pietta quality, they are "right on the mark" as it is one beautiful piece.  If it shoots half as good as it looks, I'm sure it will become a favorite for me.  Cabela's price on this particular model at this time is $219.00 and for the quality, fit and working qualities of the revolver it is a real bargain.  I have a feeling that after I shoot this revolver, I'll probably be making another trip to pick up one of the Remington '58 Army models.  I figure that it wouldn't hurt to have a .44 and besides, it would be a good excuse to buy another bullet mold!  In the meantime, I'm going to keep looking for a '49 Colt Pocket Model and I know that somewhere I'll find a Uberti made one that the fit is better on than the one I looked at today . . . . and who knows . . . . . one of those cute little Remington Pocket Models may come home as well!?

After I shoot the new Remington Navy I'll post and let you know how she shot . . . . . or rather, how poorly I shot!

I don't want to end this without saying a couple of words about Cabela's.  All of the sales people that I talked with today were extremely helpful and it was a real pleasure to do business with them.  While the one sales clerk was not that familiar with BP pistols, he went out of his way to answers my questions and what he didn't know, he asked someone who did.  Nobody can be an expert on everything and let's face it, Cabela's carries a tremendous amount of inventory items.  I believe in giving praise to those that deserve it . . . . . and these folks certainly deserve it.  My experience with all of the employees that I had contact with was great and they are good folks to deal with.  There are a lot of good suppliers when it comes to BP . . . . many are mentioned often on this board and it is nice to have them all when you need something for this hobby . . . . so thanks folks for being there for us!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single one on my right hip is good enough for me.  Besides, I'm probably only half as good as he was anyway . . . . now . . . how do I load this confounded contraption?

Hiram's Rangers - Badge #63

Offline NickSS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Got a new pistol - '58 Remington "Navy" .36 - she's a "Beaut"!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 12:33:09 AM »
Among my collection of C&B revolvers is a piatta 36 Remington Navy that I have enjoyed shooting for a long time.  I mostly shoot a 275 ball and 25 fr of FFFG in mine but have used Lee conical bullets as well.  One thing that I found makes for a great grouse getter is a double ball load.  I load 20 gr FFFG and two balls on top of the other followed by some bore butter.  The balls separate about 2 to 3 inches at 25 yards so if my aim is off a little I still have a chance to score a hit.