Author Topic: Standard 1911 .45 for Concealed Carry  (Read 863 times)

Offline lrs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Standard 1911 .45 for Concealed Carry
« on: June 15, 2009, 12:23:15 PM »
Does anyone carry a full size 1911, .45ACP,  for Concealed Carry? 
How much more difficult is it to carry than a mid size pistol?
" we are screwed "

Offline jimster

Re: Standard 1911 .45 for Concealed Carry
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 02:06:44 PM »
The rule of thumb seems to be the smaller they are the better they carry.  I do carry a full size 1911 a lot, you need a good belt, a good holster and it can be done and you can get used to anything, but the bottom line still is, less weight and smaller feels better no matter what anyone tells you if you carry a lot.  I'm not sure why some of us carry a full size 1911 a lot, I guess in my case it's because I can shoot one really well and am real confident with it, it's not because it's the best carry gun.  I have a good belt and IWB holster that works well for me considering the size and weight. 

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 02:52:54 PM »
I only carry my full size 1911 in the winter, when I can wear a coat to cover it better. If you can find a comrfortable way to carry one concealed during the warmer months, go for it. I ususally downsize to a mini Glock, IWB.

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 04:15:50 PM »
Concealment isn't that difficult, the gun is one of the thinnest handgun designs out there and the thickness is the hard part to conceal.  The only problem with a full size Govt model is the weight. 

Does anyone make an aluminum frame 1911?

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 02:49:51 PM »
  You will eventually get used to the weight as long as you carry it in the same position each time. I learned this when I carried a S&W Model 28 .357 at work. I had made the jump from a Model 19 k-frame to a Model 28 N-frame, and that was very noticeable for a few days but it was no big deal and I got used to it quick. And I guess it depends on how each person is sensitive to weight. Me, I'm not really, some folks are. But as was stated, the 1911's flat profile helps a lot. That's one thing a heavy N-frame revolver doesn't have ::)

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 02:38:14 PM »
Mohawk is right on!  THe 1911 is a flat gun, (like the Hi-Power). It is the weight, and mode of dress in the summer is the reason that I switch to a mini-Glock. Besides, mine has a nice blued finish that I cannot bear to perspire all over in an IWB hoslter all summer!

Offline S.S.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 01:27:53 PM »
+1 on the perspiring all over it !
I just can't bear to do that to mine either...
Have a nice stainless snubbie .38 Spl. for
hot weather carry.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 01:54:09 PM »
I recently got lucky at a local gun bash and managed to come away with a Kimber Ultra Carry. All I can tell you is it's one of the nicest 1911's I've ever held or shot. This one has an aluminum frame and a steel slide. I'm going from memory but I believe it weighs 25 oz. unloaded.

It's a very easy 1911 to carry, winter or summer. Just as easy to shoot as my full size Springfield 1911. Of course, for the full retail price of $1,050 plus tax and fees, it should be nice. And....it is!!!!!

Worth every penny IMHO.

Dave

Offline RIjake

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Yankee Redneck
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 03:38:31 PM »
Full size?  No.  But I do carry an aluminum frame/stainless commander length 1911.  As the other have said, the width seals the deal for me.  An extra 1" shouldn't make a difference if you're carrying IWB.  A good solid belt is a must.  I use a Wilderness Tactical with a lined stiffener in it.  It's very stable.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 01:58:57 AM »
There is no trick to carrying a full sized 1911 or a Sig p220 and you can do it comfortably and without  a scabbard.
If you dress properly it can be done all year.
During the summer I often wear shirts not tucked. The only thing tucked is a the weapon.
Comfortable? I will contend with anyone that a weapon in the pants without a scabbard is just as--if not more--comfortable than with any scabbard--including an Inside the belt.
You can easily change positions without re-arrangeing the scabbard.
Yes you get sweat on the weapon.
No! It is not as quick of a presentation but it is smooth enough---this aint high noon and a quick draw competition.
It is more secure than a scabbard---IMO.
You do it your way.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD