Author Topic: Attn Turkey Hunters  (Read 740 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Attn Turkey Hunters
« on: April 16, 2009, 11:47:08 PM »
http://www.sawyerproducts.com/permethrin.htm

Tim told me about this product a couple years ago...I have never used it, but have talked to many that have and they say it works. 

The last time I did a Spring Turkey Hunt the tics and flies nearly carried me away.  Just thought some of you might like to know about this.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Attn Turkey Hunters
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 06:09:04 AM »
Good idea Cookie!!  ;) A Thermocell would be great for those pesky flying bugs that like to get behind your face net :-X, I bought one last fall, but haven't used it yet, but the Permthrin works excellent to keep crawling bugs off you, specifically ticks for me here, I've been using it for several years, ticks that crawl on your clothing just die and fall off in a minute or so, here's an inexpensive alternative to the OTC sprays.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,123353.msg1098427611.html#msg1098427611

Krokus is correct - DEET smells and the deer can smell you when they are down wind (which they always are - somewhere). DEET will also mar plastic eye glass lenses, plastic watch faces, binocular eye cups, arrow nocks, and just about any petroleum based (plastic) product. DEET drives insects away but does not kill them. For true killing power try Permethrin.

Four (4) ounce Commercial spray cans (Permanone) contain 0.50% Permethrin and cost about $7.95 each.  Ortho "Basic Solutions" Lawn & Garden Insect Killer @ Home Depot costs $8.95 for 32 fluid ounces (1 quart). Its active ingredient is Permethrin...2.5%. So I cut it with water to make 0.50% solutions.

Mix one part 2.5% Permethrin (Ortho) to four parts water to make the final solution 0.50% Permethrin (white liquid). The whole 32 oz bottle of Ortho makes 2.5 gallons of "Bug Juice". Put the 0.50% solution in a $1.00 spritzer bottle and LIBERALLY coat your hunting clothing, face mask, gloves, socks, hat, shoes, etc. The initial faint petrochemical smell will quickly disappear as the liquid dries.

Permethrin has been extensively tested in agriculture. Its preeminent quality is it KILLS probing insects (DEET only drives them away). Let me say that again: Permethrin KILLS mosquitos, chiggers, no-see-ums, yellow flies, horse flies, ticks, gnats, wasps, house flies, and just about anything that bites, stings, probes, or tries to penetrate your protection.

Permethrin sends their nervous system into LSD-like hyperactivity and they literally burn out their nervous systems. Ants seen feasting on Permethrin killed mosquitos have died not long thereafter too.

Permethrin is effective after multiple washings of your treated clothing as written up in "Smithsonian" Magazine (circa 1997). In accordance with Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) see links below, Permethrin is not toxic to people, although the MSDS and manufacturer's recommendations indicate use on clothing only - NOT SKIN. Contact with skin swiftly breaks down the active ingredients and neutralizes the repellent.
http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/ento...in%20Spray.pdf

My personal experience is no-see-ums and mosquitos are especially difficult to sit still through when you are under their relentless attack. Ticks are no fun either when showering at home and finding them in the least appropriate places. Killing the insects that would ordinarily drive us out of the woods is a good thing. If you are going to use "insect repellent" anyway, why not kill the suckers at the same time.

I have used my dog to wear a Permethrin laced tee-shirt around the house when mosquitos get thicker over the rainy summer months. One evening outside with the dog is all it takes for about two week's peace - until the next batch hatches - in about two weeks.

Here is some "easy reading" Web research on Permethrin (there are over 500,000 others):

http://www.travmed.com/trip_prep/insect_permethrin.htm
by: Mark S. Fradin, M.D. is Adjucnt Clinical Associate Professor of Dermatology, University of North Carolina/Chapel Hill and the author of Mosquitoes and Mosquito Repellents: A Clinician's Guide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin Wikipedia defined Permethrin.

http://www.state.sd.us/doh/WESTNILE/permethrin.htmSouth Dakota Department of Health; Permethrin Fast Facts

Most links indicate Permethrin is quickly broken down into inert ingredients by contact with human skin; is quickly absorbed by soil constituents; is long lasting; is non-toxic to humans; does not smell; and kills insects by contact - but not necessarily instantly.

Others use Permethrin in higher concentrations too.  See QDMA.com General Discussion Forums [page 4 right now] under the post "Insect Repellent - Permethrin [Long but Info-packed]", which is essenitally this post with responses.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 12:39:49 PM »
Thanks for posting the extra info, Tim.  I will make a batch of that stuff for use when I go to the lake and also when I head down to Missouri in June.  I found the chiggers last year...not fun.   >:(  I had forgotten about that fun part of being south in the summer.  We don't have chiggers up here in Minnesota.
Anyway, thanks

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 12:43:32 PM »
What's a chigger!!  ;D

Tim

Offline Hunter_Smurf

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 07:50:55 AM »
Harvest mite, the cause of "chigger bites," mites in the family Trombiculidae that live in North American forests and grasslands

i had them when i was a youngin way back..lol  i played a lot in heavy pine-needle covered woods, thats where i got them,,  the kind where the fallen needles are inches deep and the ground is real soft..

what i recall is they get inside your skin and burrow through leaving a vain-looking rash where ever they traveled... don't recall pain but alot of scrathy annoying rash...
I'm not laughing at you I'm laughing with you,
                             Your just not laughing.......

Ever notice the deer we get is always smaller
                              than the deer we saw..??.lol

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 08:33:06 AM »
I know what chiggers are, we don't have them here tho, my reply was rhetorical, hence the !! instead of ?.  ;) I'd never heard of them until I spent a couple years in Georgia complements of the US Army in the late 60s, early 70s, never experienced them either, fortunately.  ;D

Tim

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 10:33:34 AM »
Bad thing is, they don't find you, like skeeters and flys.  You find them and you don't even know it, till its too late.  If you step, sit, lean on the ground where they are, its too late.  The know one direction UP.  Up onto whatever part of you the touch.  Nasty little buggers...itch like crazy.  Last June, down in Missouri, my grandson was all over the ground playin' with a puppy.  Never got a bite...I stepped 2 steps off of the groomed lawn and they went right up my shoe and thru my sock, just on 1 leg.   :o
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 10:48:05 AM »
You're makin me itch just talking bout it!!!  :o :D

Tim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator

Offline Jack Ryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 10:23:34 PM »
Good idea Cookie!!  ;) A Thermocell would be great for those pesky flying bugs that like to get behind your face net :-X, I bought one last fall, but haven't used it yet, but the Permthrin works excellent to keep crawling bugs off you, specifically ticks for me here, I've been using it for several years, ticks that crawl on your clothing just die and fall off in a minute or so, here's an inexpensive alternative to the OTC sprays.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,123353.msg1098427611.html#msg1098427611

Krokus is correct - DEET smells and the deer can smell you when they are down wind (which they always are - somewhere). DEET will also mar plastic eye glass lenses, plastic watch faces, binocular eye cups, arrow nocks, and just about any petroleum based (plastic) product. DEET drives insects away but does not kill them. For true killing power try Permethrin.

Four (4) ounce Commercial spray cans (Permanone) contain 0.50% Permethrin and cost about $7.95 each.  Ortho "Basic Solutions" Lawn & Garden Insect Killer @ Home Depot costs $8.95 for 32 fluid ounces (1 quart). Its active ingredient is Permethrin...2.5%. So I cut it with water to make 0.50% solutions.

Mix one part 2.5% Permethrin (Ortho) to four parts water to make the final solution 0.50% Permethrin (white liquid). The whole 32 oz bottle of Ortho makes 2.5 gallons of "Bug Juice". Put the 0.50% solution in a $1.00 spritzer bottle and LIBERALLY coat your hunting clothing, face mask, gloves, socks, hat, shoes, etc. The initial faint petrochemical smell will quickly disappear as the liquid dries.

Permethrin has been extensively tested in agriculture. Its preeminent quality is it KILLS probing insects (DEET only drives them away). Let me say that again: Permethrin KILLS mosquitos, chiggers, no-see-ums, yellow flies, horse flies, ticks, gnats, wasps, house flies, and just about anything that bites, stings, probes, or tries to penetrate your protection.

Permethrin sends their nervous system into LSD-like hyperactivity and they literally burn out their nervous systems. Ants seen feasting on Permethrin killed mosquitos have died not long thereafter too.

Permethrin is effective after multiple washings of your treated clothing as written up in "Smithsonian" Magazine (circa 1997). In accordance with Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) see links below, Permethrin is not toxic to people, although the MSDS and manufacturer's recommendations indicate use on clothing only - NOT SKIN. Contact with skin swiftly breaks down the active ingredients and neutralizes the repellent.
http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/ento...in%20Spray.pdf

My personal experience is no-see-ums and mosquitos are especially difficult to sit still through when you are under their relentless attack. Ticks are no fun either when showering at home and finding them in the least appropriate places. Killing the insects that would ordinarily drive us out of the woods is a good thing. If you are going to use "insect repellent" anyway, why not kill the suckers at the same time.

I have used my dog to wear a Permethrin laced tee-shirt around the house when mosquitos get thicker over the rainy summer months. One evening outside with the dog is all it takes for about two week's peace - until the next batch hatches - in about two weeks.

Here is some "easy reading" Web research on Permethrin (there are over 500,000 others):

http://www.travmed.com/trip_prep/insect_permethrin.htm
by: Mark S. Fradin, M.D. is Adjucnt Clinical Associate Professor of Dermatology, University of North Carolina/Chapel Hill and the author of Mosquitoes and Mosquito Repellents: A Clinician's Guide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin Wikipedia defined Permethrin.

http://www.state.sd.us/doh/WESTNILE/permethrin.htmSouth Dakota Department of Health; Permethrin Fast Facts

Most links indicate Permethrin is quickly broken down into inert ingredients by contact with human skin; is quickly absorbed by soil constituents; is long lasting; is non-toxic to humans; does not smell; and kills insects by contact - but not necessarily instantly.

Others use Permethrin in higher concentrations too.  See QDMA.com General Discussion Forums [page 4 right now] under the post "Insect Repellent - Permethrin [Long but Info-packed]", which is essenitally this post with responses.

I've been using this strategy for years and fully endorse it.