Author Topic: Lee Perfect Powder Measure..or how load?  (Read 610 times)

Offline RebelCause

• Trade Count: (0)
Lee Perfect Powder Measure..or how load?
« on: June 03, 2009, 01:04:03 AM »
I am thinking about buying the "Lee Perfect Powder Measure" from Cabelas. It is only $18.99.  ::)

Does anyone have any experience with this thing?

Or how do all of you measure your Powder?

"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void." Marbury Vs.Madison.

"Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." Miranda vs. Arizona.

"An unconstitutional act is not law; it confers no rights; it imposes no duties; affords no protection; it creates no office; it is in legal contemplation, as inoperative as though it had never been passed." Norton Vs. Shelby County.

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
Re: Lee Perfect Powder Measure..or how load?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 03:10:38 AM »
don't know about the Lee measure.  Over the years I have tried several different things, but for cap and ball revolver, I use an empty cartridge case or a flask with a spout that measures the amount I want.  It has been so long since I actually paid attention to what amount I use, that I don't even recall.  I just remember that this measure goes with that gun.  I did figure it out once years ago.  With a revolver, there are so many variables, from lubes to hold, breathing and follow through, etc, that the actual amount of powder kind of became secondary.    With my Ruger old army, when I get a little practice, I can shoot a three inch five shot group at 25 yds.    I can do slightly better with my muzzleloading percussion pistol.  I once shot a 1.3 inch five shot group at 25 yds with a 36 cal muzzleloading pistol. That was my personal best and got alot of attention from the other competitors.  I measured then as I do now.  an empty cartridge case, or flask with a spout.   

I've done a lot of BPCR shooting too, I know the way I measure powder throws about 60 grains for my 45-70 loads.  What I actually use has been long forgotten.  I've used the same method for years.  I have a flask with a short spout that measures about .44, but has a hole that is only 3/8 or so.  I put the empty primed case over the spout and tip it up to allow the powder to flow into the case.  I shake it back and forth three or four times to settle the powder, close the valve and withdraw the flask spout from the case.  It leaves exactly the right amount of powder for a grease wad and Ideal 457-125 lead bullet to be seated down to leaving the last grease groove exposed.  That's my load and I'm sticking to it with the results I have had over the years.   

I played around with loads and charges for years, before I realized that sticking to one consistent load for each gun and adjusting my shooting got better results.   While certainly, I am not getting my picture in the magazines and books, I won a great many local matches against guys that did measure each bullet or ball, measured their powder on an analytical scale etc.   For short range pistol shooting, the exact powder charge is not as critical as for 100 yd rifle shooting.  Breath, hold and follow through are the primary pistol shooting factors IMHO.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 03:41:11 AM »
FWIW, I have a Lee Pro Auto Disk measure, and it is great, probably worth the extra 15 bucks over the base lee model.  The only problem is that it doesn't work with my Hornady LNL progressive.

The autodisk has a slick polymer o ring at the junction between the measuring disk and the powder measure, and it doesn't cut powders or bind.  It really is pretty spiffy.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline Tryit 1

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 01:13:56 PM »
Sharke, I have been using the Lee measure almost from the day they came out. I load about 600 to 800 rounds of black powder with this measure and have not had a moments problem. I know the static discharge voodoo and other fables but about 14 of my friends load the same or more as I do and there is nothing but praise for this little loader. I do not think you can wear one out. You will be well served with one and be happy with it. Tryit1

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 03:46:54 PM »
I've been using one since around 1990 or so.  It is my preferred measure, since I also have an RCBS Uniflow which is not used much.  The Lee does not shear powder grains and is more accurate.

Offline RebelCause

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 03:18:52 AM »
don't know about the Lee measure.  Over the years I have tried several different things, ..... IMHO.

Really great info, thanks. Thanks to everyone else too. You guys are great.
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void." Marbury Vs.Madison.

"Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." Miranda vs. Arizona.

"An unconstitutional act is not law; it confers no rights; it imposes no duties; affords no protection; it creates no office; it is in legal contemplation, as inoperative as though it had never been passed." Norton Vs. Shelby County.