Author Topic: .475 Linebaugh Shooters  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Roller

• Trade Count: (0)
.475 Linebaugh Shooters
« on: September 05, 2003, 01:20:47 PM »
I ordered a new Premier Grade FA .475 Linebaugh yesterday, with a 6 inch octagonal barrel.  After ordering it, I got to wondering what barrel length the rest of you .475  owners have.  I already have a 7.5 inch FA 454 with a scope and a 6 inch FA 454 that I shoot with open sights.  I like the longer barrel for a scoped gun and the ease of carrying the six inch gun with open sights.  I will never be putting a scope on the .475 so I went with the 6 inch barrel on it.  I was just curious what the rest of you prefered.

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
.475 Linebaugh Shooters
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 01:46:04 PM »
I have the gun you just ordered. You can see it in the picture to your left. I would recommend you get the over travel screw, inverted crown and black micarta grips. Also I would go with the square notch premier grade rear sight and the front ramp blade or the partridge blade. The Express sights are crap and aren’t well suited for shooting accurately with open sights.

As far as barrel length goes in reality it only takes an inch or so of barrel to stabilize a bullet. The longer barreled guns are no more accurate than the shorter ones. Lots of people prefer to scope longer barreled guns. I'm the same as you in that manner. If you are going to have a long barreled gun it takes away from handiness so you might as well put a scope on it. However the longer barreled guns are more suited for open sight shooting because of the increase in sight radius thus are easier to shoot accurately at longer distances for some people. The extra ~20fps/inch of barrel gain doesn’t really have much of and advantage if any in my opinion. If you are shooting at a distance to where an extra 40fps will make a difference in an effective shot or not you’re shooting too far anyway. I guess the biggest advantage of longer barrels other than increased sight radius is the way they help tame recoil. This is my idea of it anyway. I could be wrong.

This gun is a real tack driver. The factory target for mine is a bullet diameter and a half in width. I cannot shoot it that well but it's nice to know it can.

Good luck and be safe,
Scott

Offline Roller

.475 Linebaugh Shooters
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 03:26:52 PM »
I did order the trigger overtravel screw, 3 lb. action job, and the Micarta grips.  My other two Freedom Arms have these same options.  The octagonal barrel will be the only difference.  Thanks for the reply.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
.475 Linebaugh Shooters
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 11:55:26 PM »
Mines a 5 1/2 Linebaugh built gun. The next one will be shorter yet. To me there meant for hunting big stuff and dangerous stuff and they belong on your hip not in a shoulder holster with a scope on them. Youll like that barell length better Im sure.
blue lives matter

Offline 475/480

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2003, 05:38:22 PM »
Mine is a FA .475 -7-1/2" does just fine on the hip,I would not use a scope on it, eventhough I have scopes on my SRH-480 and 454.(I think) the Rugers are made for scopes the FA and customs are not IMO.

Offline Fiveshooter

Good Choice Roller
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 03:30:30 PM »
I have a FA .475 Linebaugh in 4.75" ,one in 6" and one in 7.5". The 6" has an octagon barrel with express sights. I can't say that I like the express sights all that well but the 6" in my oppinion is the best all around length. :wink:

But then I like the little one a lot too. :wink:

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level then beat you with experience." Not sure who first said this,but it makes sense.
Best Regards,
                   Billy

Offline DelGue

97 Freedom Arms
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2003, 10:04:40 AM »
I have a 3 Freedom Arms.  

1.  Mod 83 .454 w/ 4 3/4" magnaported bbl.

2.  Mod 83 .475 w. 4 3/4" bbl

3.  Mod 97 .45 Colt/.45 ACP Extra Cyl., 5 1/2" bbl.

I like the .475 OK, but I would of liked it better, If I would of stuck with the Premier Grades.  I like the shorter bbl. for carring.  If I need more power, I'll go to a rifle.  

I can sit comfortably with the 4 incher w/o the butt of my gun digging me in the ribs.  And as another poster said, you gain very little with the longer barrels, with such a powerful gun/cartridge.

Delgue
Del Gue

Offline Roller

.475 Linebaugh Shooters
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2003, 01:01:29 PM »
I have ordered a .475 Linebaugh just like the picture of the six inch above with the octagonal barrel, but I am getting the standard adjustable sights.  I only have Premier Grades because I personaly don't like the looks of the Field Grades, but that is just my opinion.  Thanks for the replys, keep them comming.