Author Topic: 30-06 Range report  (Read 474 times)

Offline vincewarde

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
30-06 Range report
« on: June 03, 2009, 09:27:29 PM »
OK, it's a bit late - but I want to share the results of yesterdays trip to the range

The Gun:
Ultra frame and stock (original barrel .243)
30-06 barrel bought in the forums here and fitted per instructions here
Forend free floated except for the screw
3-12x BSA scope (I have three of these and love them!)
About 250 rounds through the barrel

The load:
150 grain Remington PSP Core Lokt
R-P Cases
WW LR Primers
49 grains Mil Surp IMR4895
Bullets are seated just off the lands

This gun had been grouping about 2-2.5 moa - OK but nothing great.  So I decided to try something that I think really helped the wife's .270 ultra comp to shoot under 1 moa: I polished the bore.  I used a .30 Cal copper brush and started with course automotive compound (liquid Turtle Wax stuff from Kragan), changing to the same stuff in a fine compound after about 20-25 minutes.  I then used the fine stuff for about 35 minutes.  Periodically I pushed out the old compound with a patch and added new.  When I was done I cleaned it out as best I could.

The results were impressive:  A 100 yard three shot 1.1 inch group and a best of all a 200 yard .773 inch group!  That works out to .387 moa!

All of you deserve a lot of credit for this - after all, I learned all about Handis right here  ;)

"Preach the Gospel at all times, when absolutely necessary - use words" St Francis
<><

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: 30-06 Range report
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 03:30:56 AM »
Congratulatiosn, that is some great shooting and you deserve credit for the work and the groups....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 03:32:39 AM »
Ditto, outstanding work on your part!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline vincewarde

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 04:51:01 AM »
After this, I will never believe that our Handis do not have the same accuracy potential as bolt guns.  They only need attention in different ways.  On the same day I shot my .308 bolt gun.  It has a much more expensive scope, a nicely bedded action and a lightened trigger.  The Handi beat it soundly.

Thanks again to everyone who contributes here.  All I did was follow the directions - and I sure love the results  ;D
"Preach the Gospel at all times, when absolutely necessary - use words" St Francis
<><

Offline snakeman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 06:25:52 AM »
That is some fine shooting my friend.

snakeman

Offline tykempster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 07:46:52 AM »
That is good shooting, especially for a Handi.  However, I don't buy that Handi's have the same accuracy potential as a bolt action.  They can certainly be accurate, but not as accuract in my opinion.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 03:30:18 PM »
That is good shooting, especially for a Handi.  However, I don't buy that Handi's have the same accuracy potential as a bolt action.  They can certainly be accurate, but not as accuract in my opinion.

Ty,

In my experience off the shelf bolts now, at least in the under $1000.00 range, need as much attention as the Handi, and often with less than satisfactory results.   At least that has been my experience.  I have a very old Rem. that I bought in a pawn shop with a busted stock, bought a used stock, scrubbed the rust out of the bore and it shoots MOA and better. 

I have two new bolts, one Win. and one Weatherby, that won't come close.

Who knew?

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)