Author Topic: .45 CR, a hoot to shoot!!  (Read 601 times)

Offline Tom Threetoes

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
.45 CR, a hoot to shoot!!
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:18:17 PM »
Thanks to Quick I was able to load up a half dozen 45s this afternoon. I had some W296 on hand from my .357 Ruger revolver reloading session. I picked a load recommended as a starter for the Marlin 1894 and some Hornady 250 gr XTPs. That thing made huge holes in my compost pile back stop and didn't kick at all. Mama Threetoes even shot it and she had a big smile after she busted her tin can target.  My cases were kinda sooty, I think I need to bump up the powder another half grain or so as that is a sign that chamber pressure is low and gasses are flowing around the brass. At least that's what I've read. Supposedly I can go up 3 more grains but that is max. Anyway my dies are adjusted and the scope is close enough for paper work now. Two things are certain it's a blast to shoot and the trigger needs work,LOL. Tom 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: .45 BC, a hoot to shoot!!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 02:26:02 PM »
That's always good news, always glad when they go bang!!  ;D I had some smokey cases too with start loads, so don't be afraid to bump it up, you can  even use the +P TC/Ruger data if you want to, that's all I ever shot in mine before the rechamber,  250gr jacketed bullets at a little over 1900fps.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline .375 Hawk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Re: .45 CR, a hoot to shoot!!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 01:49:55 PM »
Took a 1.5 mile trip to the range yesterday and broke in the .45 Colt Classic Carbine. ;D
The first 3 shots cloverleafed at 50 yds. I cleaned with a bore snake after each shot.
After the first 3 shots, dumb me had to walk to the target to look.....and the next 2 opened up a bit.  300gr. Speer with H110 at 1,650 ft/sec.
I really like the Handi. Waiting for a Warne maxima scope rail. I think it will do better with the Burris scope.

Eddie

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 03:11:47 PM »
Tommy ,
  The fact that you can run the hottest +P loads in the 45 LC BC is the reason I dont have one yet , Too worried that one of those hotties might accidently find its way into one of the Uberti's I own , Neither would like that very much since they are replicas of the old Colt cattlemen bird head SAA and the Winchester brass receiver lever action and you know I'm partial to them and my hands/face  ;D I'm me funny like that..

Glad to hear shes a shooter for you , I know I sure like my Old 45s..

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Chas.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 03:21:09 PM »
After the first 3 shots, dumb me had to walk to the target to look.....

I know that feeling.  After I got the new front sight on my BC, I went to the range and shot maybe 5 times.  I then put it away and got out another gun.   Range Officer casually asked me if that's all I was going to shoot the BC.  I told him it didn't make much sense to keep putting bullets through the same hole. ;D

Offline .375 Hawk

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 11:14:10 PM »

The fact that you can run the hottest +P loads in the 45 LC BC is the reason I dont have one yet , Too worried that one of those hotties might accidently find its way into one of the Uberti replicas of the old ColtSAA and the Winchester brass receiver lever action.

This is a very good point!!!!
When using .45 Colt +P or +P+ make sure the OAL. is longer than the cylinder on the Colt SAA.
The 300gr. Speer crimped in the lower grove will not rotate in my Taurus .45 Colt.
The the long and heavy LBT's will not fit in a SAA.

Eddie

Offline Tom Threetoes

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 01:52:19 AM »
I don't own a 45 Colt handgun so getting loads mixed up is not a problem for me. My last two shots on my last range session at 50yds. were touching. My W296 powder seems to leave a lot of burnt powder in the barrel but it shoots nice. Do you guys think a little more crimp would help? I also added another half grain of powder to help with the smokey cases. It helped a little but the steel butt plate started getting harder. LOL. Tom

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 01:58:30 AM »
if you are getting the velocity you want and putting them in the same hole,well,I wouldn't worry too much about a little unburned powder

Offline .375 Hawk

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 02:12:29 AM »
I don't own a 45 Colt handgun so getting loads mixed up is not a problem for me. My last two shots on my last range session at 50yds. were touching. My W296 powder seems to leave a lot of burnt powder in the barrel but it shoots nice. Do you guys think a little more crimp would help? I also added another half grain of powder to help with the smokey cases. It helped a little but the steel butt plate started getting harder. LOL. Tom
Hi Tom,
W296 and H110 are the same powder but marketed under different names. Both powders are hard to ignite and require magnum primers. Also with W296 and H110 DO NOT Reduce powder charges!
This may create a high pressure spike.
W296 and H110 always burn better at or near the top recommended charge level.  This will help with the smokey cases along with a Heavy Crimp.
Hope this helps,
Eddie