Author Topic: Bowling ball Mortar pwder chamber dimensions and loads  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Bowling ball Mortar pwder chamber dimensions and loads
« on: March 14, 2009, 04:13:28 PM »
Gent swith bowling ball mortars, what are the dimension of the powder chambers of your mortar and what charge weigths do you use?

Offline NitroSteel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Bowling ball Mortar pwder chamber dimensions and loads
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 04:53:58 PM »
My powder chamber is 2 inches in diameter and is 2.5 inches deep.  I typically use 3 ounces of BP and get about 500 yards of range...  Have used more, but tend to lose "ammo" in the woods when I do.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
How thick are your
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 06:06:35 PM »
Chamber walls ?  2" inside diameter  ? outside . ??

Buiding a BB motar , have the tube and end plate , wondering about the powder chamber .
Want a mortar not a bomb .... ;D
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 07:36:16 PM »
There are a couple of Bowling Ball Mortar or Cannon makers in this GBO forum, one of them could probably tell a person correct info so as not to manufacture a "mistake waiting to happen"! I agree, best to do it right the first time than to learn from a mis-hap! We don't need or want the adverse publicity! BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 02:43:14 AM »
I think I made this one 1.75" x 2.5" deep.  I'm not sure, I'll have to check.

Offline Double D

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 04:25:08 AM »
Well Dom's mortar chamber would be  5.25" OD minimum x 4.25" long minimum.  Nitrosteel's would be 6" x 4.5" OD.

Anybody else have a bowling bal mortar and can give us dimensions?

Offline NitroSteel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 07:07:43 AM »
I believe you are correct on mine DoubleD.  Very similar to the "Florida Bowling Ball Mortar":

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,28013.0.html

Offline SLEEPY BEEPER

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 06:29:38 PM »
My chamber is 1.375 inch dia. and 3.8 inches deep. Wall thickness at the breech is over 2 inchs. This is for safty and to add wieght to the barrel. Filling it up will send a ball over a 1/4 mile. I've never measured it. Now days I shoot for accurecy. Bowling balls roll badly when being shot at ranges under 150 yards. So I shoot at 65 Deg. out to 150 yards. And 45 Deg. over 150 yards. One ounce of powder will send a bowling ball 135 yards at 65 Deg. And 180 yards at 45 deg. If you will be shooting for accuracy you should plan on getting you mortar to at least 100 pounds or more (heavy breach and strong base). Other wise it moves around to much. I have had over 50 bowling balls. And the difference between the biggest and smallest was .220 inch in dia. And lastly. Balls will change size when sitting in the sun. A ball that fits at home. May stick after sitting in the sun all day. Ask me how I know.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 03:37:49 AM »
Thank You 
Dominic : that looks right nice .
Sleepy Beeper : thank you for dimentions and load info.

The picture of the material on the saw is going to be my powder chamber . It is slightly over 5 " diameter . After consutation with Douglas I'm thinking a chunk 6" long will do the trick.  Going for a 1.5" chamber and 3.5" deep . My pipe is 9" ID and .354 wall thickness . Not seamless but it is new pipe. 

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 05:39:41 AM »
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline SLEEPY BEEPER

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 10:47:26 AM »
Several years ago at my first mortar / cannon shoot. I was ready to clean house with my new bowling ball mortar. I had been practicing. I showed up early to set the mortar and thru my black bowling balls in the sun. Ate lunch and watched the cannons shoot. Two in the afternoon the mortar shoot started. It was hot. The balls where almost to hot to handle (like a hot car hood). 4 of my 10 balls would not even start. Left with my tail down. On another occasion I was shooting a light load (100 yards). I forced down a hot oversized ball (many moons ago). On firing it went over the target field, over the trees and kept going. Never did find the ball. It had to have stuck. Builting up excessive pressure until it let loose. I have read where people believe all the pressure is in the breach. The barrel just guides the ball. In a perfect world maybe. Now days I plan for worst case.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 02:31:01 PM »
 Now days I plan for worst case.

Great philosophy of life - for surviving!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Re: Bowling ball Mortar powder chamber dimensions and loads
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 04:58:31 PM »
Mortar Chamber material . 6" length , 5 1/8" diameter . Chamber currently 3.375 deep and 1" Diameter . Am going to drill bore out to 1.5 " tomorrow .I do not have a boring bare for this old lathe .The dish is 25 degrees  . Ball sits nicely on that angle . Measured 2 balls , both were 8  9/16"  My tube measures 8  15/16" . Should work ok I hope.

More to come   :)

Offline Double D

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 06:23:28 PM »
Is that all the further you got?  I'm head your way tomorrow withpowder fuse and another mortar ball.

Maybe I should dig my boring bar out.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 08:48:08 PM »
I forced down a hot oversized ball (many moons ago). On firing it went over the target field, over the trees and kept going. Never did find the ball. It had to have stuck. Builting up excessive pressure until it let loose. I have read where people believe all the pressure is in the breach. The barrel just guides the ball. In a perfect world maybe. Now days I plan for worst case.

Thanks for the answer, Sleepy Beeper; By what you describe, things could get dangerously complicated by all that added distance given to the ball by the increased pressure caused by the tight fit.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 12:33:05 AM »
I do not have a boring bare for this old lathe.

I 'bored' my first mortar without a boring bar.  I used a 3/4" bit clamped in the tool holder - it's all I had.  Beer-can caliber too.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 01:29:42 AM »
If one is handy at grinding lathe bits, a very servicable boring bar may be made from large, inexpensive masonry bits. You will need a carbide tool grinding wheel to shape the tip though.
Max

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 02:55:45 AM »

I hope you're taking very light cuts, considering the 'fingernail hold' the jaws have on that heavy, unsupported workpiece...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
"very light cuts"
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 07:18:46 AM »
is the rule with this old lathe , flat belt drive slips  :-\
The 4 jaw chuck has a very good hold on that piece . The jaws are reversed and do have serations on them.  It's been years since I last used this lathe . I bough it 30 years ago @ an Auction for $125 . No chuck or tooling with . I bought the 4 jaw so I could chuck up odd pieces .

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 08:43:05 AM »
Even with serations that object is not being held by much, I would not get my body in front

of it while turning! people have been maimed or killed by chunks of metal trown out of the chuck,  by the looks

of your cuts, it looks like your removing small amounts of stock with each pass which is good, no critisim here just

want people to stay safe.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
I lost a whole post ,
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 06:55:03 PM »
I hate it when that happens . Guess I need to type my posts up in note page then cut and paste.

Yep ,light cuts and so slow if it felll out of the chuck it would fall on my toe ..... and that is not going to happen , besides , I'm a dumb farmer and every one know the Good Lord looks out for fools   ::)

Well Douglas  blew in today . Litterally he did . Said it took .5 gallons of gas to get here , Had a full tank when he left , hoped the other 20 gallons would get him west in to the wind . As a precaution he ate all the Cholate Chip cookies in case Katherine had to walk for gas .  ::)

He brought over his boring bar , it didn't fit my 60+ year old South Bend lathe. So he ate the cookies and left . Left me wondering how to get the 1" hole out to 1.5 " or a little better ...

Soon as Doug left , "Good Neighbor Don" happen'd along . He is a BIG good natured fellow who can break a ball bearing just by looking @ it . He has been by every day since I started this project . All he wants to do is "Help " .  His attention span is even shorted than mine ....( bet you didn't think that was possible ? )
Any way .... I mentiond that Dougs boring bar didn't fit on my lathe , also mentions that one of you fine fellows said they made a boring bar out of a carbide bit .
 No sooner did I mention that when Don is in to my "bit drawer"  looking ....  I quickly picked out an old well used masonary 3/4"bit .  He said , : "That will work " and before I could say ," Well lets have a look see "
He was @ the grinder grinding down the 1/2" round shaft to make it fit in the tool holder on the lathe.
Well it didn't cut , so.... we wear out the rest of the grinding wheel to make it look like it would work .
didn't work  but it sure true'd up the grinding  wheel .
  I had bought some diamond grinding disc's for my dremel , so we shaped the Masonary bit a bit and gave it a go .... More to follow  :>)

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Pictures ...
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 07:10:16 PM »
boring bar @ work . Thanks for the idea .

finished hole ..

Doug brought over some fuse and Cannon grade powder ...
More to come ....   8)

Offline Double D

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 03:54:15 AM »
You guys should see the lathe South Paw is working with! It was old when Ernie was born!!! It is an Old South Bend table top school lathe. Still going strong...

Ernie only thinks I brought him powder and fuse...it was a ruse to get at his wife's choclate chip cookies.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 06:03:17 AM »
      1southpaw,   The next time you see Double D's vehicle coming up your driveway, hide those cookies!! THAT will get his attention and then you can explain the finer points of the "Mature" South Bend lathe you use so well.  Mike and I both have soft spots in our hearts for the old South Bend "School" lathes we used at the Colorado School of Trades in the mid 70s.  Ours had 4 or 5 flat belt slightly crowned step pulleys to the left of the headstock which really dated them.  Although they are all replaced by more modern equipment now, they were capable of good work,  as we turned 7 different threads on one multi-diameter journal as a learning project and chambered and threaded more than a few high power rifles on them.

Looks like yours is working just fine.  Nice photos too and your explanation of what we are looking at is top-notch and goes a long way in explaining to our non-machinist members what is going on.  Thank you for posting this thread.

Regards,

Mike and Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 09:40:06 AM »
seacoastartillery : Doug is a Cookie Monster !   ;D  Now wife is going to have to bake up another batch ... :)  Good deal as she doesn't like to bake cookies for me  ;)
This old South Bend Lathe came to the local high school system just after WWII . It was surplus property that the state had . Most of the high school shops were equipped with old defense surplus available from the State of Montana .
The 40 plus years the high school kids had to wear and tear it did take it's toll . The thread counter is missing , carriage lock missing , back gear has a tooth missing and a matching tooth on the head stock. Labeled as a 9",4' bed . The drive is flat belt with 3 steps . Motor is below the base cabinet. Reverse switch not hooked up properly  ,probably because  motor is an old Craftsman 1/3 hp 1725 RPM  115 volt.  Either way you flip the switch it runs forward.  I bought it 30 years ago @ school auction , They had bought 2 new lathes and sold off two old lathes . I wanted the other one as it had quick change threading gear box .And had a 3 jaw chuck. This old one had a face plate and a dog leg holder.  It seems to me it cost more for the 4 jaw chuck then I paid for the Lathe. The old V ways are in good shape .

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 03:36:02 PM »
As the saying goes, 'all new machinery is made on old machinery'.
It's an American tradition to get the job done with  what you have; improve on it next time ... repeat.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline warf73

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 01:24:41 AM »
How is this project coming?
I'm wanting to build a BB cannon, I've got the cylinder and about 40 bowling balls.
Wasn't sure if I needed a chamber or not. Seen several on YouTube and none of them seemed to have a powder chamber (I'm not sure).

Warf
"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
a jar of jalapenos.  What you do today, might burn
your ass tomorrow."

Offline Double D

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 03:18:35 AM »
Yes build a chamber. 

Here is the finished product. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,175052.0.html