Author Topic: Question for those who know more than I do  (Read 496 times)

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
Question for those who know more than I do
« on: June 08, 2009, 12:49:54 PM »
Got a quick question. Can the stocks from a handi rifle fit an older topper rifle? Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Question for those who know more than I do
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 01:51:11 PM »
Some do, some don't. I had a '72 Topper 30-30 that I tried to fit my cinn lam straight stock to, but it wouldn't fit, the angle of the stock was slightly different at the frame, there was a big gap where they met.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline holahead

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 03:32:30 PM »
Thanks Tim

Offline kf4ocv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 05:40:52 PM »
Just out of curiousity What caliber old Topper you got?  I got a 30/30 af (1969)
Chris

Offline holahead

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 07:24:20 PM »
I do not have one yet. I am looking for one for my sons first rifle. He wants a 30-30 and he wants a Winchester 94. I found a real good deal on a Marlin 336 I was going to get him but got to thinking that a single shot would be better for his first rifle. I seem to remember that the topper has a slimmer barrel and seems to weight just a little less than the handi. If I could find one I was wanting to take the stocks of and put on youth stocks and that way I would not have to cut down the stocks that come on it. That way when he got older he could use the adult stocks again.So hopefully we will be able to locate one soon so he can get in plenty of practice time before season gets here. kf4ocv why don't you post a pic of that ole topper I sure would like to see it.

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 09:32:32 PM »
Yes, the toppers have a nicely tapered barrel. I have late model 58 that I put the synthetic stocks from an NEF on, and it fit fine. Mine is a .30-30, and is very light. Keep looking for one, you will be happy with it once you get it. NIce thing is, with the later one, anyway, is you can fit youth stock, or m/c stock for scope use, or straight-comb stock for open sight use. I went so far as to buy a titanium bolt that holds the stock to reciever, in order to shave another bit of weight!!
Mark

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 07:19:47 PM »
I have three 30-30 Toppers/Handy Guns with the slim profile barrels that wear pistol grip synthetic stocks traded for here on the classifieds. The new style forend while it fits leaves a gap on each side as the newer versions have a thicker barrel than the old pre bankruptcy versions had. I ordered older style forends from Numrich for the toppers in black wood and they match the the synthetic buttstock very well. Nice light rifle with a 20 mm scope. I'll add a pic if I still have them in my album. This is the only pic I kept, as I put the barrel on a NEF receiver to see if it fit and it did, and the Numrich forend worked as well. ***The generally accepted advice is not to fire the gun using the NEF sb1 receiver.***

Offline holahead

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 07:43:56 PM »
Carbineman very nice rifle. ;)