Author Topic: Broken transfer bars  (Read 445 times)

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
Broken transfer bars
« on: June 02, 2009, 03:02:32 PM »
As I read through the posts I notice a lot of problems w/ broken transfer bars.  I bought an NEF once that had a broken transfer bar.
Also, it seemed at the time I could modify the hammer and use the shotgun w/o the bar.
The older H&R didn't have transfer bars - are they more desirable on that account?
And, what's the deal?  Does NEF make those bars cheaply, maybe with sintered metal?
You know, these are supposed to be the most dependable guns going - I'd hate to be needing one and not have it go bang.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Broken transfer bars
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 10:16:32 PM »
I was told it happens from people dry firing them.

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 02:08:01 AM »
i bought a new handi rifle with a really poor transfer bar...the problem was a super loose swivel joint between the lifter and the transfer bar itself,so loose if you elevated the muzzle like shooting uphill the transfer bar would flop straight to the rear preventing the hammer from going forward...then it fell out. Ordered a new one from brownells and got a much better one than the factory one.....quality control in needed at the factory(and better customer service)

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 05:20:49 AM »
That whole transfer bar and hold the trigger all the way back to insure a hit on the primer business had me upset. The final straw came that after having the trigger pull reduced to acceptable levels the sear would break on a gentle squeeze without the trigger being in the full rear position failing to raise the bar sufficiently, resulting in a click instead of a BOOM.

Now the transfer bar is removed, there is a sort of half cock feature( not 100% effective, I can live with that)) but at least the rifle functions when the trigger is squeezed instead of yanked.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.