Author Topic: .45acp 230gn LHP Mould?  (Read 289 times)

Offline Joshua M. Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
.45acp 230gn LHP Mould?
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:17:09 PM »
Hello,

I'm looking for a hollowpoint mould for the .45acp, one that casts about 230gn.

The closest I can find is the Lyman Devastator, but that's only rated at 180gn (casts closer to 190 depending upon alloy).

It looks like Lee made the one I'm looking for years back, but it's out of production.

Can anyone help me find what I'm looking for?

Thanks,

Josh <><

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
Re: .45acp 230gn LHP Mould?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 12:35:53 AM »
Go over to CastBoolit.com and ask around.  One of their moderators might be able to take a single-cavity mold and "hollow point" it for you by modifying the mold.

To my knowledge no one makes a hollow point RN 230grn ACP boolit.  But the concept isn't necessarily bad if you're willing to "improvise" and work at getting the mold you want.

I bought on eBay (where to shop for 1X cavity molds) a semi-wadcutter GC mold to have "hollow-pointed."  Want to cast HP boolits for the .38Spl and .357.  For the .45ACP and 9mm I'm going to get flat-point truncated boolits.  Lyman used to offer a nice looking 130grainer in 9mm, but I might have NEI make me a mold unless I find something (old) on eBay.  Plus Saeco-Redding offers a 225grainer FPTC design where no one else does.

Check out 'cast boolits.'  Good luck.

Offline darkroomdan

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 03:00:35 AM »
Cast Hollow Points and the .45 ACP
By: Glen E. Fryxell

Glen E. Fryxell talks about getting moulds modified to hollow point by Erik Ohlen of Hollow Point Bullet Mold Service, email at:  modify@hollowpointmold.com, (541) 738-2479).

Link to the page is http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCastHP45ACP.htm

Thanks,
DRD

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 06:55:43 AM »
Personal opinion, worth what it costs; get a standard SWC/GC mold and a Forster Hollow Pointing tool.  It helps you drill a cavity in a loaded round, much simpler to deal with than an HP mold.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue