Author Topic: Sticker shock: Shipping handgun by UPS  (Read 2008 times)

Offline J-Train

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Sticker shock: Shipping handgun by UPS
« on: January 27, 2009, 01:54:06 PM »
  :( My new RIA compact 1911A1 was suffering from failures to extract fired hulls. I  called Armscor and talked to their gunsmith, who advised me to ship it back to them for factory service.  I packed the gun and its case and took it to the local UPS office.  They told me that they could only ship guns Next Day Air for security reasons.  With insurance, the cost to ship from SC to Nevada was $100.14!  Augh!  There goes my gun show budget.  I went ahead and sent it this time--in the future I think I'll find a local gunsmith, take my chances, and to heck with the warranty.

Anyone know of an economical and safe way to ship firearms for service or modification?

Offline Savage

Re: Sticker shock: Shipping handgun by UPS
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 02:30:54 PM »
Sorry you had to return your pistol. Sounds like it likely needed a little extractor tuning. Anyone with basic knowledge of the 1911 platform could do that for you. Even a gunsmith would be cheaper than shipping. Wow!!! A hundred bucks!!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 02:38:29 PM »
I've read about others using a less expensive overnight service for handguns which is about half the cost, it's called Next Day Saver. Dunno what what the restrictions are, but it would be worth checking out. Either that or have a gunsmith/dealer ship it by USPS.

Tim

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/next_day_saver.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 10:50:02 PM »
Just take it to your local dealer and have them ship it. Mine charges me $25, coast to coast.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 12:40:13 AM »
J-Train:  Flash is right.  Take it to your dealer and have him ship it back.  It should cost much less. 

But, quickdtoo is also right - there are other less expensive services. 

And the price for shipping via UPS overnight has gone up regardless of what you ship.  My wife ships her artwork to various galleries in different cities and to ship a 1.5' x 2' boxed up piece of art, with insurance, costs $150 and I'm sure it weighs less than a 45.

I would try the dealer route first.  But, before I do that I would go on down to the 1911/45 forum and look up a thread by SharonAnne about 'If I had to do it again" building another 45 and see what she says about tuning or tweaking extractors. 

The RIA is just another 1911A1, even the compact models and most likely take the same extractors as any other 1911A1 pattern true to the original with a internal extractor, and extractors cost pennies, literally.  You could probably buy a handful of mil-spec extractors from any parts place for less than $10 and get it to work properly yourself.

In fact, that same $10 will probably get you a couple of them at the gun show.  HTH and good luck.  Mikey.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 05:00:36 AM »
They told me that they could only ship guns Next Day Air for security reasons. 

I wonder if they (UPS) are treating the long guns the same way?...Perhaps the exec's have the idea that handguns are bad?...Maybe they are just doing this because of the liability of a perpetrator picking out a packaged handgun from a fully loaded truck at an overnight terminal? Yeah, Right ::)...How long will it be before these shippers get the idea that all accessories such as scopes or grips are a security risk because they are meant to be installed on a firearm?

Sorry for the skeptisim...somebody has to do it since Nonya hasn't been around :-\...I do believe that we have worse fears than shipping regarding firearms in the future :( I do like the idea of having ones local dealer do the shipping for the present.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 05:55:56 AM »
UPS still accepts long guns as long as you ship them at one of their recommended shipping points, they don't accept them at any third party retailer or UPS stores.

Tim

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=firearms

Shipping Firearms
Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

* Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).
    * UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
    * UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment.
    * Firearms, including handguns, and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally
    * Ammunition may be accepted for shipment internationally provided it is shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping International Goods.
    * UPS ReturnsSM Services are not available for packages containing firearms.

Follow These Packing Requirements

* Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages being delivered to UPS.
    * Ammunition cannot be included in packages that contain firearms (including handguns). Ammunition must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials, or the UPS Guide for Shipping International Dangerous Goods.
    * Small arms ammunition, as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59, will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 regarding hazardous materials shipments.

About Documentation and Labeling

* The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

* You can only ship your package that contains a handgun from UPS daily pickup accounts or through UPS Customer Centers (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Handguns are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
    * When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
    * You can ship a firearm (excluding handguns), from a UPS daily pickup account, UPS On-Call Pickup, One-Time Pickup, or a UPS Customer Center. Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.
    * See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.

Offline pab1

• Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 06:34:00 AM »
A UPS delivery person once told me that they had a lot of trouble with shipped handguns "disappearing" before they started the next day shipping requirement. I got the impression that it was because of employees with sticky fingers and the high insurance claims for lost handguns. I don't know if this is true, but that was his explanation.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. "
Thomas Paine

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 04:05:49 AM »
That IS true. When that change went into effect a couple of years ago NPR announced it with barely concealed glee. Obviously NPR applauded anything that makes handguns more expensive, never mind that they were applauding thieves! As they see it guns are the problem, not criminals.
 I am a hobby gunsmith with an FFL and when I ship handguns I still ship them by ground, I just don't tell UPS what is in the package. The driver picks it up at my door for a pick-up fee of $3.00, which saves me a 70 mile round trip to ship by any other means. Lately however I've found that most handguns will fit into a USPS Flat Rate box and can be shipped anywhere for $4.80. If someone were to bring me a handgun to ship I would not charge them a penny more than it costs me.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 04:19:29 AM »
FedEx would have charged 1/2 that.  I hate UPS.  Our local UPS will only ship a gun if you're an FFL dealer.  They even called Atlanta to confirm that before they refused to ship a flintlock rifle for me.

It's a felony to ship a firearm without letting the carrier know.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline J-Train

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 10:47:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone.  I didn't want to void the warranty on the new gun, that's why I didn't look for a local gunsmith and shipped it back.  I'll let you know if the problem was solved when I get it back.  Live and learn--the heck with the warranty.

Offline Buck-Ridge

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 05:03:59 PM »
I shipped a K-22 Masterpiece back to Smith and Wesson last summary and the guy at S&W told me to Send it as Machined parts to SAW and that might keep UPS employees from stealing it. I didn't have to pay more than 10 bucks. I sent a pre 82 Remington Model 700 to somewhere in New York for the trigger and safety upgrade last summer and it was under 20 bucks too. I did both of them from our little UPS office here in town.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 05:44:26 PM »
The fine and punishment for violations of 18 USC are up to $10,000 AND up to 1 year in jail, not worth it to save $20. ::)

Tim

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 02:28:11 AM »
Just take it to a local gun shop and have them ship it out. I pay $35.00 at my gun shops for this service.

The gun shops ships them 2nd day, and some use the Priority Mail system from the USPS. Only FFL's can use that service with handguns.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline barber

• Contributor
  • lilke hunting with handguns, metal detecting,
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 06:17:15 AM »
I've shipped several guns back to Ruger and to other dealers by UPS, and never paid over $12.00 , I just box it up, write on the slip it's a handgun, and ship it. They know what's in the box.  I think it's just that some places just have to make things difficult.
barber

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
Don't know about shipping my guns. Think i'll either fix my own or have it done at a local smith. 100$ is like a 1/4 the original price.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 06:06:32 AM »
When UPS started the overnight shipping for handguns their reasoning was that if they only had the gun for one day rather than a week it was less likely to be stolen by their employees.
It only takes a second or two to steal a package.  Some employees had address labels with their own names on them which they just stuck over the original then UPS would deliver that package right to their door.  Course any shipping outfit could do that but UPS seems to have lost more firearms than any other.
H08

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 01:39:54 PM »
I shipped a handgun back to Browning by Fed ex sometime ago. The guy in the store called the main office and they told him to 1. inspect the gun that it's unloaded 2. mark the box that it is machine parts. He proceeded to unpack the box took the firearm out to inspect it and was pointing it at the customers. Some of them ducked. He re-boxed the gun charged a normal fee and that was it.

Offline Horsefeathers

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 02:18:07 PM »
I shipped a handgun to a repair shop authorized by the Importer ( it was made in the Philippines). Non licencenees can ship for repairs to an FFL. I shipped UPS no problem. Was asked contents. Next day mail was $52 including Insurance and it got there on time. I shipped aRuger lcp to Ruger It only weighs ounces, they charged $63. Got there late. They said it had to be dismantled or inoperative. I said it doesnt fire thats why I am sending it back(not) .Then it was OK. Horsefeathers.

Offline Horsefeathers

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 02:20:07 PM »
I forgot to mention the Ruger was sent by FED-EX. Horsefeathers.

Offline ccoker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 04:02:20 AM »
I had to ship a handgun from Austin to Vancouver, WA
Fedex nailed me for 60 bucks
I was shocked to say the leat

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 05:21:40 PM »
The fine and punishment for violations of 18 USC are up to $10,000 AND up to 1 year in jail, not worth it to save $20. ::)

Tim

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

Does this include black powder arms?  Just wondering.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 05:45:22 PM »
Been there, done that.  It sucks.

Offline Rex B

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 05:21:15 AM »

Tim

Does this include black powder arms?  Just wondering.

No. The Feds consider a black powder firearm to be the same as a crescent wrench for most purposes. You can mail a BP pistol or rifle any way you like.    However, there are some employees that don't know the difference. Don't ask, don't tell, just put it in the box and ship it.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 02:05:46 AM »
Just checked, DHL will ship firearms,but only from dealer to dealer, which I will asume the manufacturer also applies. Not sure of their rates. I know from now on, if one of my guns needs work, and it's something I can't do, I'll find a gunsmith and drive it to him.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 11:32:25 AM »
UPS will now ship 2nd day air i just got one fron sog sent to me that way.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten