Author Topic: .223 bore sight issue  (Read 748 times)

Offline shaneus

• Trade Count: (0)
.223 bore sight issue
« on: June 21, 2009, 01:43:58 PM »
First, thanks to all for the good information here.  After reading on this forum I decided to try a .223 H&R, hope to keep up with parents who shoot either a No. 1 Ruger (.223) or a Browning falling block (also .223). 

Unfortunately I have run into an issue right off.  I have been unable to bore sight this unit.  All parts are new, Rifle, rings and 3x9 Nikon Bushmaster.  The problem is the scope is pointing WAY too high, at 25' it is almost out of sight and the scope doesn't have even close to enough adjusment to compensate.

I have taken all parts down and re-assembled twice.  The weaver rail and barrel mating surface are clean with no burrs.  I have deburred and countersunk mounting screw holes.  The rail is straight and the rings mount look straight and concentric when a straightedge is laid in them.

Any thoughts?  The dealer is saying to buy millet rings that have adjustment.

Shane

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: .223 bore sight issue
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 01:52:33 PM »
Welcome aboard Shane!  ;) Millett rings are windage adjustable, but the won't help with elevation, I'd be more inclined to think you have mismatched rings, a bad scope rail or possibly a defective scope that isn't allowing full range of movement. What rings are you using now? I'd try another scope to eliminate it as the problem. 

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dieselten

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 02:36:03 PM »
try swapping the rings front to rear.

Offline momule

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 03:11:36 AM »
You might want to consider Burris Signature rings with the polymer inserts.

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 03:29:34 AM »
The millett rings come w/ the insert to.  To be truthful, electrical tape on the rings does the same thing.  Like Tim said, they will adjust for windage, but not elevation.  Your dealer either is just trying to get you to spend money, or know absolutely zip about scope mounting.

I don't think it's a scope ring issue.  All rings for newer remington, savage, and winchester are all the same height.  The only brand that I've dealt with that has to have the rings in the right spot is Ruger.  I don't foresee him having Ruger rings on his handi. 

I understand wanting to boresight a gun, but honestly I got out of that practice a long time ago.  The only time a boresight has ever helped me was when I bought one for my Rossi .243 to find out that my scope base was drilled crooked.  In that case the Millett windage adjustable rings solved my problem.

@ 25 feet, any scope is going to be high and off a normal sized paper target.  @ 100 yards, a rifle that is sighted in at 25 feet is going to shoot way low.  Here is what I do when I first mount my scopes.  I take a pallet liner 4' x 4' and take it out 50 yards.  Put a 1" dot in the center of the cardboard liner.  Get your rifle on "paper" this way.  If its shooting high or low, left or right the large piece of cardboard will show it.  Take a tape meausure w/ you after the 1st three round group and find out how far your off.  Then adjust.  Once on target, move the cardboard out too 100-200 whatever you want you zero and finalize it. 

6 rounds of .223 won't cost much and a big piece of cardboard is free so in the long run I'd recommend trying this before you go and buy a new scope or new rings.  It could be that for a 100 yard zero you won't have any issues at all.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 12:44:48 PM »
Singleshotsam:  At 25 feet the rifle should be shooting low if anything, if it is so high as to be off the paper there is something really really wrong.  As far as I know the Burris rings are the only ones that come with offset inserts and they are a lot more than electrical tape.  I also vote for having two rings that are of different height, I also vote for swaping front and rear rings to see what you get.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline ndindy

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 05:45:05 PM »
I'd swap rings as well, can't hurt to try.  Are you bore sighting or using a bore sighter?  I bore sight everything but levers and semis at 100 yards and I've yet to not be on paper with first round.  Irritates the heck out of my friend who owns every bore sighting product known to man.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 11:29:03 PM »
If you are truly bore sighting - you may be adjusting the scope wrong. If you are shooting high, then turn the adjustment knob up, not down. I only bore sight my guns (when I can) and I always have to remember to turn the opposite way you want the bullet to go. Turn the knob up to to move it down and turn it left to go right. Once you get it on paper and are moving the scope across a grid, then you can move the knobs to the same direction you want to go. I have never had a scope I could not get adjusted. If there is, there is some thing really, really wrong. Of course there is always a first time. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline shaneus

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »
Thanks to all for replies, I return redfaced and sheepish.  After a couple of nights sleep I found problem to be "DEU" as the computer guys say (defective end user).  Scope apparently much smarter than I am.   Was able to take to range yesterday and after sighting in was able to shoot a best of 4 shots in approx.  1" group at 100 yds.  Would have better results with better rest or if heart didn't pound so much.

My folks better be ready next time we go prairie doggin'.

Shane