Author Topic: .357/.38 Reloading question  (Read 725 times)

Offline smong2000

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Contributor
.357/.38 Reloading question
« on: June 14, 2009, 03:27:47 AM »
 I just got into a .357 mag and am accumulating reloading supplies getting ready to load.  I've got some jacketed, 1/2 jacketed, and full lead bullets.  Can i reload them interchangably (same weight) or do I need to treat the solid lead bullets differently.  Do I need to lube the lead?  I also have  .38 cases and .357 cases, can they be used for similar light loads interchangably?  My manuals don't say much about pistol reloading.  Anyone point me in the right direction, or recommend a good pistol book?  ??? 
Thanks,  Steve

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: .357/.38 Reloading question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 04:00:55 AM »
Get the new lyman reloading manual, 48th Ed.  It has all the basics!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline WD45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 05:26:28 AM »
Lead and jacketed bullets are different animals. Different cases such that you state are different animals. The 38 special case is NOT the same as a 357 MAG case and you can not interchange loads just because you may be able to use the same bullet.  You need to get a better manual and sounds like it would be a good Idea to hook up with a knowlegable reloader to help you get started. Most reloaders are more than glad to help someone get started and  Most people have several manuals along with updated versions. While reloading is not rocket science you can lose body parts if you are not paying close attention to what you are doing.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 05:31:03 AM »
Have been reloading both (thousands of rounds loaded and shot) since 1970. All said above is true. Both were and are two of my all time favorites. If fact, THEY ARE my two most favorite rounds.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 05:41:31 AM »
If you bought your lead bullets and they have a manufacturers name on a box, most likely they are already lubed. If they came from a garage sale or some other source where they may have been made by a home caster, they may be bare. You can apply soft lubes by hand if you need to. Applying white lithium based grease by hand markedly improved one of my loads.

Offline MS Hitman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 08:46:13 AM »
You do want to keep the lube in the grooves on the cast bullets.  Neck tension is necessary to hold the bullet to insure proper ignition of the powder.  Like stated above, buy a loading manual and read the front portion before trying to load.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 09:56:20 AM »
If you haven't already I'd recommend looking at the cast bullet and reloading forums here on GBs. Lot of good info there and most of your questions have already been asked/ answered there, Give it  a look you'll like it.

.38/.357 are two great rounds to load for prolly my favorite round enjoy. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »
Steve,
You need a lot more information and a good - or several - reloading manuals before starting to load. IME, half jacket bullets can drive pressures up very significantly.

As to the bullets being all lead - they could be swaged or cast and loading can be dramatically different. You could start with light loads with the lead bullets, but the half jacket bullets will require more care and more punch to prevent a bullet becoming stuck in the barrel - which is not a good thing.

After you have a good manual and all of your components, let's visit again.

Autorim