Author Topic: Shot my LCP today  (Read 647 times)

Offline Gdbyrd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Shot my LCP today
« on: June 28, 2009, 06:56:30 PM »
Took my CWL class today, I qualified with my 1911 but did some range time with the LCP.  I also had a chance to try out the LCR and Kel-Tec.  Overall the LCR was the best of the three.  It was the most accurate, carries more firepower, was more comfortable to shoot.  HOWEVER, for my body shape the LCP/Keltec had a better fit without patterning.  The LCP-Kel Tec is an old arguement.  The guns are the same.  The Ruger has a much, much better finish/fit.  The Kel Tec seemed to have a smoother trigger although it had been broken in..my LCP was brand new. 

All three guns were more accurate than I was.  I only had a chance to fire at 3 and 7 yard targets but it was easily in the kill zone.  Fired about 50 rounds through each and all funcioned flawlessly.

Both of the pocket auto's caught my finger in the trigger guard.  They were both very difficult to grab hold of.  Both had about 1" groups at the 10 yard range when fired by the range master(not me!  I'm not used to shooting such a small gun).

If I had to do it over again and could work a revolver into my attire I would go with the LCR hands down.  It's more functional, albeit slightly more bulky.  It had a much smoother trigger with a cleaner break.  It also doesn't pinch your fingers to shoot it and the +P is a nice bonus.

But overall I'm happy with my purchase.  I just wish I could find more .380 ammo!  Stuff is impossible to find!

Offline Travis Morgan

• Classified -- Banned
  • Contributor
  • Hey hey hey!
Re: Shot my LCP today
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 04:01:53 AM »
    If you get up here near Wichita, gimme a holler; I know a guy that has plenty of .380.

My advice on CCH/CCW: Throw the .380 down a posthole. Quit worrying about printing. I go for minimum concealment. I don't want to dick around with digging in my pants when I need a gun. I've carried openly, and most folks don't notice a full sized revolver in a normall hip holster. I could probably attack it with a bedazzler, and nobody would notice. And if they do? So what? As long as you're legal, they can go to hell and like it. It's kinda like enviro-fags whining about you driving a big diesel pickup. They don't have to carry your load, so it's none of their damn business!
The first step towards liberty is an act of defiance!

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 10:02:11 AM »
I'll give you a different perspective.  I have a concealed carry license and had it for quite a while.  I would carry in specific circumstances (out in the woods hiking a 44 Rem mag snub nose revolver in concealed carry so the tree huggers don't freak out; in areas where I was concerned about my safety a 357 Mag or 38 Special inside the waist belt holster; 45 m 1911-A1 small of back holster, FEG 9mm Mak PA-63 inside waist belt hoslter where concealment was important).   I didn't carry every day.  Concealment was very important to me as a lot of my clients would flip out if they knew I was carrying.  Where I live the ultra liberals flip out and cause problems for those that carry openly.

I purchased a KelTec P3AT on a whim and now I pocket-holster carry everyday and up the caliber of things only when I go out in the deep woods or I feel I am putting myself in serious danger.  I also carry when I watch TV at home at the end of the day.  I feel much more like if I am every going to be attacked either while out and about or during a home invasion, I will have a firearm available to me. 

I think it is important to find something that you are really going to carry.....all the time and then practice with that firearm to get completely comfortable with it.  My advise is find something you can carry everyday and start with that, even if it is a .380 Auto.

Once you get comfortable carrying everyday, then you can look around for that next maybe a little more powerful firearm that isn't a big step up in concealment or weight.  I have found that size and weight were surprisingly important to me in terms of daily concealed carry.  The KelTek .380 is about as big as I am comfortable with on a daily carry, fancy clothes or blue jeans all day long basis.  I have a variety of larger caliber handguns and I try them periodically, but keep coming back to the KelTek P3AT.  I may, after a while longer, move up to one of the KelTec 9mm's, but that is not likely anytime soon. 

Having said that, I don't feel it is a problem when I put on hiking boots to go in the woods to put a larger caliber handgun holster on.  For me I think a P3AT is what I need for everyday carry.  This is a personal decision and an important one that we all need to make.

Offline jimster

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 12:58:29 PM »
Good post Robert, I agree, a gun doesn't do you much good unless you have it with you all the time, and if weight/size keeps that from happening, use something you WILL carry all the time.  Agree on the practice too.  Some people switch off from lighter to heavier guns depending on weather and clothing as well.  Like you said, it's a personal decision and important. 

Jim