Author Topic: Reloading Primers ?  (Read 837 times)

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
Reloading Primers ?
« on: June 21, 2009, 01:18:27 PM »
 Thought this might be worth a look to those that are having a hell of a time finding new primers without getting raped on the price ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7nphPRG6JA

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Reloading Primers ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 01:50:16 PM »
You have got to be kidding right?  What load data would you use with "matchstick" primers?  Are these reloaded primers corrosive to the bore?  Are they "hot" enough to ignite slow burning powders?  Will they even ignite at -10F?  Is it worth damaging your rifle or handgun or shotgun to save a few pennys per shot?

Sheesh, I guess some idiot can become "famous" on YouTube with any old hair-brained idea....... ::)  ::)  ::)

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 04:31:30 PM »
I have heard that is one of the subjects in improvised munitions manuals. Should one ever need a loaded round bad enough to employ the process, it might come in very handy.  In that event, you'd have a lot more to worry about than corrosion, or tailoring a load for the improvised priming compound. Although I couldn't load enough primers using that process in a year to last me a week, I still find it interesting.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »
I find it hard to believe that anyone is still having a difficult time finding primers. This supplied info about the matchhead primers is good to have just in case and is making it's way around the net. Thanks for posting this.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 05:13:34 PM »
This was done in Afghanastan in the war with the Russkies.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline jdp29

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 10:18:15 PM »
Carbineman, where are you finding primers so readily available??

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 02:30:00 AM »
Default, thanks for looking that up. I had heard about this video, but just haven't had the time to find it.
Just for giggle's, I'm gonna find the time to try it. I just hope that there will never be a time where I have to rely on something like this to actually make ammo!!  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 05:03:30 PM »
Carbineman, where are you finding primers so readily available??

Sinclair International just offered small and large rifle primers for sale this past week. All the companies that sell reloading supplies have had some available(you gotta be quick) this past month if you are on their email alert list.
Locally, Scheels gets them in on a weekly basis and I picked up four bricks this month, 2 small pistol and 2 large rifle magnum. Keep scratching and you will find them.

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 01:02:36 PM »
Pressing out the firing pin dent and the reloading and firing a primer will fatigue the metal in the cup and will lead to a pierced primer sooner or later. This with the other cautions mentioned make this too ricky in my book. I have seen this listed in an Army field manual but would only reload a primer once if I had no other choice and needed meat or defense.

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 02:30:13 AM »
I don't know where he is finding the strike any where matches. I haven't seen any around here for a long time.
                         Beerbelly

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 03:17:52 AM »
I can find strike anywhere matches everywhere here now. They were scarce about 10 years ago though.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 03:20:15 AM »
I read about this a while back but it was more of an after the apocalypse scenario.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?