Author Topic: O&U derringers?  (Read 1170 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
O&U derringers?
« on: July 05, 2009, 08:07:41 AM »
Are most of these made in the same place?  Davis, Cobra, and a bunch of others look identical, or is it just a classic design?  Any experience with any of these?  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline powhs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: O&U derringers?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 10:46:07 AM »
I think you are right about the Cobra/Davis being the same. There are better ones out there. Bond or American are really good quality. They all shoot high. I have a 44 spl made by American Derringer. The bottom barrel fires about one foot high at 12 feet. The top barrel shoots about two feet high at the same range. Most derringers shoot this way. 

Offline Lawndart

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 04:15:38 PM »
I own a Davis.  It's a cheap weapon.  I also own a Bond Arms which is a very, very well made weapon.  A derringer is intended for very close range....the sights are just for looks  ;) 

If you want a 'two shooter' the Bond is the way to go.  I'd hate to think that my life depended on a Davis derringer...but it's better than nothing.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 06:47:12 PM »
I can understand the top barrel shooting higher than the bottom barrel, it has a little more leverage to flip the muzzel up when fired, and there is not much mass out there to slow it down.  There seems to be a very basic design for at least a half dozen makers of these little guns going back to the 1890's, just wondering if there was a factory turning out frames that were used by lots of makers.  I picked up a Cobra in 38 special cheap, satin nickel, looks good, just wondering what I really have.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 11:50:56 AM »
If you want a 'two shooter' the Bond is the way to go.

I looked at several Bonds, and really had a hard time cocking them. I have arthritis in my right thumb, however, I can still cock a regular wheelgun without any trouble. (Thank you Advil.) Are the American Derringers as hard to cock as the Bond?
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 04:40:51 AM »
got an f.i.e. 38spl and love it. both shots about a hands width apart at 7-10 yrds.  its just too darn easy to put  in a pocket and go. jeans watch pocket works nice.  i dont plan to get into a big gun fight anyway, and if i do plan to, ya can bet im not using a handgun. i know that my makarov , 38 snub or a 1911 sounds like a better deal, but threr not as simple to carry.  if ya decide to carry one, practice 2x as much as with a "normal" hand gun.  youll need it.
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline Lawndart

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 01:57:11 AM »
If you want a 'two shooter' the Bond is the way to go.

I looked at several Bonds, and really had a hard time cocking them. I have arthritis in my right thumb, however, I can still cock a regular wheelgun without any trouble. (Thank you Advil.) Are the American Derringers as hard to cock as the Bond?

Every derringer I've handled has been hard to cock.  You might want to look into a High Standard derringer (Gunbroker, since they aren't made anymore)....they are made different.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 03:10:00 AM »
Hard to cock and very hard trigger pull! I just sold a Davis for a friend who didn't know what he was getting into when he bought it, the trigger was a test of strength! Many years ago I had one in .38 special which was surprisingly accurate if carefully aimed. I could consistently hit beer cans at 20 yards if I knew which barrel was going to fire, had to know that because the upper barrel shot a foot higher then the lower barrel. I went so far as to work up special loads for it. With a 158 grain SWC in the lower barrel and a 110 JHP in the upper both would shoot to the sights. But that was aimed fire, for "point and shoot", as the gun would actually be used, it was hopeless! The grip provides no consistent position in the hand. If you just grab it up the muzzle may be pointing at the ceiling one time and at the floor the next. I'd never consider one for real defense. The Kel-Tec .380 is just as thin and flat, is lighter, and though the ergonomics of the Kel-Tec are not the best they are way better than a derringer, and it carries three times the ammo.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.