Author Topic: My grandson and guns...  (Read 1348 times)

Offline IronKnees

• IronKnees
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • HANDLOADING FOR HUNTING
My grandson and guns...
« on: February 19, 2003, 03:06:32 AM »
I have a bit of a quandary... Our oldest daughter and her hubby (who I love and respect dearly) are not keen on my only grandson being introduced to shooting, guns, hunting etc... It has of course been my lifelong dream to do with Isaac, the same as my fathers friend did with me, and begin teaching him how to respect nature, respect the land and wildlife, and then the long, drawn out procedure of teaching him how to shoot, and eventually hunt... I want to respect his parents wishes, and really have no clue how to approach this... I've thought of taking Rob (his dad) along to the shooting range and working with him a bit in order to show him that this is not a "carefree" haphazard thing, but he is so bone headed and into other sports that I can't seem to get him out of his Sunday afternoon chair.... I only have one grandson.. Any "digestions"???
I want to finish well
I want to end this race
Still leaning on HIS AMAZING GRACE

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
My grandson and guns...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2003, 09:17:31 AM »
Isn't it ironic that the very people who are most ignorant of guns and hunting are the ones who most want to do away with both?

In that situation, I would just try to find a relaxed atmosphere to sit down and talk one-on-one with both your daughter and her husband. I would not try to push my beliefs or ideals on them, but I would try to express what my hopes and desires for my grandchild were (@learning to shoot/hunt/love the outdoors). Then I would ask them about what their goals and desires are for their son as well regarding the shooting/hunting sports. I would ask them specifically to explain their reservations, concerns, what they see as risks, and really listen to their points of view.

Then I would try to create some kind of beginning activity that would meet their goals and introduce your grandson to shooting/hunting in some way. Then I would propose it to your daughter and son-in-law in a way that they can see you are trying very hard to satisfy their reservations and concerns (respect their judgment). Hopefully they will see that you are: 1) very serious about introducing your grandson to shooting/hunting sports, 2) geniunely concerned about their reservations and goals, and 3) willing to put some thought and effort into satisfying their concerns. In my experience in dealing with all different kinds of people, most of them are willing to compromise in some way if you show that you both believe in what you are proposing (but not to the exclusion of all other points of view) and are willing to work to find some common ground that respects their chief concerns.

Good luck with your efforts. :wink:
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline savageT

Re: My grandson and guns...
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2003, 05:01:01 AM »
Quote from: IronKnees
I have a bit of a quandary... Our oldest daughter and her hubby (who I love and respect dearly) are not keen on my only grandson being introduced to shooting, guns, hunting etc... It has of course been my lifelong dream to do with Isaac, the same as my fathers friend did with me, and begin teaching him how to respect nature, respect the land and wildlife, and then the long, drawn out procedure of teaching him how to shoot, and eventually hunt... I want to respect his parents wishes, and really have no clue how to approach this... I've thought of taking Rob (his dad) along to the shooting range and working with him a bit in order to show him that this is not a "carefree" haphazard thing, but he is so bone headed and into other sports that I can't seem to get him out of his Sunday afternoon chair.... I only have one grandson.. Any "digestions"???

Iron Knees,

I know exactly how you feel, and can only offer my support in your efforts.  We have three daughters, and 3 grandsons that I would love to  pass-on my love of the outdoors and shooting safety.  I have one, the oldest, at 12 yrs. who is coming along, but noone in the family is really crazy about the idea of firearms!  Please keep us posted on your efforts so we can all benefit (hopefully not at your expense!).

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
how 'bout starting with gun safety?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 10:12:49 AM »
If your grand kids spend any time in your house, and you obviously have some firearms in the house - would your son-in-law agree that the kids at least need some basic gun safety training so they can be responsible around your house.

Good luck you're in a tough spot.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline IronKnees

• IronKnees
  • Contributor
My grandson and guns...
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 11:20:28 AM »
Not really... of course the guns are all locked in a gun case inside my locked den...so the kids really don't ever see them unless they happen to be with me in my den... and again, even then they are all locked away.
I want to finish well
I want to end this race

Offline new snake owner

My grandson and guns...
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 07:40:29 PM »
You know I may not be a grandparent (my boy is 10) but try this idea out.  For now drop the whole "gun" thing.  Take the boy camping, fishing, hiking, etc.  Get him in love with the outdoors first, then the next step is natural.  I like to think that 99% of us hunt to "hunt" not kill, or walk around the woods with guns.  Take him on some scouts, show him a deer track (or better an animal).  I think if he is like any red blooded boy the natural instincs will take over and he will  :wink: make his parents life hell until they let him go hunting with you.  One other option is to see if you can get him involved in the Boy Scouts.  I would think that unless they have been taken over by the left wing crowd (which I hope not) he will be intrduced to firearms there.

Offline IronKnees

• IronKnees
  • Contributor
My grandson and guns...
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2003, 01:59:22 AM »
With the exception of Boy Scouts (he goes to a Christian school which has it's own form of that) you have just described WHAT I HAVE ALREADY done with him ever since he was old enough to take along... (I've spent countless hours and days/nights camping with him, and making plaster casts of tracks of all kinds... All of this outdoor activity with him is what has lead up to his curiosity about guns and hunting, which now needs to be addressed...
I want to finish well
I want to end this race

Offline new snake owner

My grandson and guns...
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2003, 03:42:31 AM »
My heart goes out to you.  Growing up niether of my parents were much into the outdoors, and I remember what a time I had getting them to take me to the range, buy ammo, etc. Now I can only second what huntsman said eariler.  I wish my grandad lived closer, as he was an avid outdoorsman, but by the time I was old enough for the cross country trip he was to infirm.