Author Topic: 32 special loads  (Read 436 times)

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
32 special loads
« on: July 12, 2009, 02:57:48 AM »
hello....i don't post much over here,but i have a couple questions.First i don't cast and have been buying cast bullets from western bullet. I shot a hundred 150 gr PB bullets thru my 32 special during 3 or 4 range sessions.Plain base,sized .321,9-10 grs 231,accurate and easy to shoot,no leading problems to speak of. No case fillers,good ignition.My cases grew in length,surprising me,wondering why a reduced load would lengthen cases like that. I'm assuming that has to do with the drilling out the flash hole in the case that i read about here but don't have a good understanding   of why the reduced load lengthens the case and what drilling out the flash hole does to solve the problem.Can someone enlighten me about that....my next endeavor is to try 170 gr PB bullets with a reduced charge of 4895,looking for 15-1600 fps,hopefully without leading problems. My bore slugs at .321 and that's what the 150 grainers i used were sized...I ordered the 170 gr bullets unsized so i can try em @.322 or .323. I'm looking for a cast load at 15-1600 fps and hope to get there with a PB bullet.....am i on the right track here?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: 32 special loads
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 03:33:40 AM »
Zoner

Case growth will depend on a couple diffrent things , formost is the cut of the chamber , if its oversized the cases will try and fill the void , even with light loads . The cut of your die will also make a diffrence , if you FL size , you will be pulling the cases longer if the die is on the tight side of spec .

As for the flash holes , some do that with Black Powder to allow for more fire from the primer , I have not found the need to do that with either Smokeless of BP though .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline jlchucker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 03:53:47 AM »
Do you lube the inside of your case necks before sizing?  That expander going in and out of a neck that has not been properly lubed makes for friction, and you could be, on the return stroke of your press, pulling that neck out just a bit.  Also, since you are shooting cast bullets, you may have residue of bullet lube in your die.  It never hurts to periodically take your sizing die apart and cleaning it. 

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 05:27:25 AM »
30-30 and 32 special cases due to their thiness tend to grow during firing and sizing. I form all my 32 special cases from Winchester .375 cases. This has almost eliminated any lengthening issues and the cases are thicker in the web area and don't get that typical bulge so much.I also dont have to neck ream. They form really nice.

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 06:50:49 AM »
Thanks for the good info guys....i've made 32 spec cases from 30-30 cases but never gone the 375 winchester route...have to ponder on that some...Mike