Author Topic: Blackpowder Mortar and Cannon photo Album Vol III  (Read 4791 times)

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Blackpowder Mortar and Cannon photo Album Vol III
« on: February 04, 2005, 05:09:55 AM »
Here are links to our Blackpowder Mortar and Cannon Photo albums.  the Albums themselves are left floating on the board. You can alway access them from this post

Volume I

Volume II

Volume III

Because pictures take time to load I'll make more volumes as we go along.

Send me your favorite Cannon pictures and I’ll post them up for you.

Here are the guidelines

1. Can be a battery of your guns.
2. Can be a single gun. But only one picture per single gun will be posted.
3. You can be in the picture with the gun, but not required.
4. You should provide a description of your gun.
5. Picture can be digital. No restriction on size but should be in .bmp or .jpg format.
6. Chemical pictures “Photo’s” can be no larger than 8x10. Contact me for snail mail and I will scan them in.

I will do some limited photo editing> I will be reducing them in resolution and size to fit our board. You can send more than one picture, but only one will be posted per gun.

The photo albums will be locked, only the moderators will be able post to them.

Online Double D

LarryL's Cannon
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 05:29:50 AM »

I built the cannon in the summers of 1976 and 1977 when I worked at a paper mill.  With the exception of the wheels, all other parts were scavenged from the junk piles at the paper mill and purchased as scrap.

The barrel is cold rolled steel, about 3-1/2' long, 1" thick wall, 3.25" inside, 5.25" outside.  The barrel was selected based on what was available, and what had a good fit to one of the standard tin can sizes.  3-1/4" happens to be a perfect fit for most vegetable cans!  The breech plug was a 5" long piece of 3.25" shafting.  We left it out an inch and then filled that 1" groove with weld and then smoothed it with a grinder.  Barrel lugs are pieces of 2" shafting welded on.  Large timbers were used for the carriage 8X8" for the cross beam and 10X12" for the main beam.  2" thick planks were cut and trimmed for the cheek pieces, but for added strength, 1/4" plate was mounted in back of the cheek pieces such that the barrel lugs passed through that steel and then on top of the wooded pieces.  Several 1" bolts passed through the entire thickness of the cheek pieces, the steel plates, and the center beam to hold the entire assembly together.  The lower ones also went through the 2"X2" angle iron to attach the cross beam and axle.  A valve wheel acted as the elevator on the back of the barrel.   The wheels were obtained from a local farmer from an old circa late 1800s/early 1900s wagon.  The wagon was out in the field falling apart, and only two of the wheels were usable.  He agreed to give them to me, and even brought out his torch to cut them off.  They were 48" tall, with 2" wide metal bands around the rim.  Spokes were wooden as was the outer and inner rims.  The central hub was steel with a 2" square steel axle.  I ran the square stock all the way across under the cross beam and then used bar stock and 1" bolts to clamp the axle to the square stock.  

When done, the whole cannon is 4' tall and about 7' or so long.  Many different types of ammo was used ranging from cans of concrete, empty cans filled with sand and nested, cans of vegetables, and pieces of firewood!  We had many many years of fun with it up on Little Sebago Lake in Maine.  Once I moved away, it was stored at my brother's house and I rarely got a chance to fire it.  I finally put it up for sale about 7-8 years ago and sold it for $1000.  Don't know if that was a good price or not, but it was certainly a lot more than I paid for it!  If I don't count my time, I think it might have cost me $40-50 for all the parts and pieces.

LarryL

Online Double D

Hotguns mortar
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 06:49:10 PM »

Made from 4140  5" diameter steel 8 inches long. Powder chamber is.1 1/4" deep  x 1 1/4"  diameter. The base is 2 inch thick oak. Bolts,washers and trunion caps were painted hammerfinish black. Elevation adjustment is 1/2" all thread rod with a brass handle. Have a total of about 12 hours of time in it.

Online Double D

El Cazador 66
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 07:11:37 AM »

54 cal. replica of a French 75MM. Built by Dominick Carpenter.

Dictator Mortar by Dominick  Carpenter

golfball naval cannon

50 cal. 12X2 steel naval cannon

Online Double D

Fran's Frannon
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 05:21:04 PM »

A very nicely made "Frannon" All steel barrel 16 3/4" long, aluminum carriage, and 12" steel wheels. To lend a slightly feminine touch, the barrel is painted HOT pink. Has 1 1/8" bore

Online Double D

thelionspaw's cannon
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 06:52:46 AM »

This is a genuine "Blacksmith Built" 15th c. Wrought Iron Breechblock  Falcon class 2 pdr. cannon with a 2.5" bore.  It is 8' long, 4' wide, 400+ lbs.. 

With its 1.75" bore removeable seamless sleeve insert tube, it becomes a 500 lb. Falconette.

I built it in 1984 at The Arkville Forge, Arkville, N.Y. during a winter when I and a friend had nothing better to do.

It is an exact replication of a Bohemian piece from the Hussite wars ca. 1450 as depicted in a period painting.