Author Topic: Shotgun Cleaning Rod  (Read 485 times)

Offline Chopper3030

• Trade Count: (0)
Shotgun Cleaning Rod
« on: July 08, 2009, 02:11:31 PM »
What kind of cleaning rod do you guys use for your shotguns?

I was in Bass Pro this weekend, and bought a new NEF Turkey gun (black stock, with XX-full screw-in choke).  First new shotgun I've bought in years.  Anyways, the guy who sold me the shotgun tried to sell me a $35 one-piece coated cleaning rod.  He says aluminum rods damage barrels.  I guess I could see that for rifled barrels.  But smoothbore shotguns?

Outers advertises their 3-piece aluminum rod as perfectly safe to clean any firearm.  And they sure cost a lot less than $35. 

What do you you guys say?

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
Re: Shotgun Cleaning Rod
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:45:09 PM »
Salesmen.
I just use my old m16 cleaning rod for everything.  I've got a shotgun brush adapter for it.
Tell you what, I'd use a wooden dowel before I'd pay $35.
Or I'd find a garage sale/gun show or pawn shop Outers type rod for about $3.
Salesmen - I guess he's just trying to do a good job for Bass Pro, not for you.

Offline kiddekop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 10:09:41 PM »
Salesmen.
I just use my old m16 cleaning rod for everything.  I've got a shotgun brush adapter for it.
Tell you what, I'd use a wooden dowel before I'd pay $35.
Or I'd find a garage sale/gun show or pawn shop Outers type rod for about $3.
Salesmen - I guess he's just trying to do a good job for Bass Pro, not for you.
Here's how I clean my shotguns I took an aluminum 12g cleaning rod & broke off the handle so I could chuck it into a drill,I installed a 12g brush wrapped with some 4 ought steel wool which I dip in Hoppes and power clean my barrels;it gets rid of plastic residue & powder then I install the patch holder & wipe out the barrel,next is a dampened patch with militech1.my blued steel shotgun barrels are coated with Trewax along with the walnut stock.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 12:07:58 AM »
For smooth bores there is nothing better than those fuzzy rods sold by several outfits for the purpose. It's about all I ever use on 12 and 20s and the 20 can be used on 28s in a pinch but is mighty tight in there. I'd sure love to get another for both 28 and .410 as there is NOTHING that does a better job on smooth bores than them. I think TICO was the original but these days lots of companies make them. Get one and it's all you'll ever need for that smooth bore barrel.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 08:22:43 AM »
Amen to the fuzzy rods, I have one I believe is called a Bore Runner,comes with it's own case, real slick and makes quick work of cleaning bird barrels
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 11:32:40 AM »

I have a more expensive coated Dewey rod but not for shotguns. It's only for my BR rifles. For a shotgun I'd drop a wad of rags on a string down the bore before I'd pay $35 for a rod.

The Otis kit and caboodle is about the best set up I've used for most everything. I never had a gun so clean as one of those things gets it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff